• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zinfandel

Fat Guy

From the LA Times:

Solved: The Great Zinfandel Mystery

The birthplace of California's signature grape turns out to be Croatia

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo...ne10jul10.story

[Note: You must register in order to access the LA Times archive; registration is free albeit tedious]

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

From the LA Times:

Solved: The Great Zinfandel Mystery

The birthplace of California's signature grape turns out to be Croatia

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo...ne10jul10.story

[Note: You must register in order to access the LA Times archive; registration is free albeit tedious]

On behalf of my entire race I opollogize for the Zinfindel/Primitivo grape. Gaccccck! Except for that delightful Ravenwood wine, but maybe that is only the cool label talking.

• 2 weeks later...

And I always thought my grandfather "created" Zinfandel in Astoria.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Zinfandel is a very underrated grape. I sorry you are embarrassed by it Adam:

"On behalf of my entire race I opollogize for the Zinfindel/Primitivo grape. Gaccccck! Except for that delightful Ravenwood wine, but maybe that is only the cool label talking"

Adam Balic.

Yes, white zinfandel helped to give the grape a bad name but there are some very wonderful zin's out there. A small boutique producer in the Russian River Valley called A. Rafanelli is outstanding at $22 a bottle. IT's thick and lush with lot's of pepper and big black fruit upfront and a smooth long finish. IT's hard to come by as most of the 12,000 bottles produced go to the mailing list folks who line up for hours at the vineyard on release day to get their 2 cases. The rest goes to select restaurants that the winemaker has eaten at and appreciates the food. Esty Street in Park Ridge, NJ carries it and while Rafanelli hasn't eaten there the owners have a very reliable source.

Other Zins worth trying include Seghesio Old Vines, St. Francis, Ridge, most labels but especially the Pegani Ranch (the late harvest a few years back was the Wine Spectator's wine of the year), and Dry Creek to name a few.

I do agree with you that Ravenswood makes a very drinkable Zin in the Vinter's Blend. You might, however, want to venture out and plop down the $24 bucks for a bottle of the Ravenswood Mendocino Zinfandel. A far superior wine with a lot of depth and layers of flavor. A complex wine that goes well with red meat, lamb as well as pork. It is also great to drink on its own.

Zins are great, had a nice one this weekend as well - 1998 Franus Napa

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

They tend to have to much alcohol and have a medicinal flavour which I don't like very much.

What is "too much" alcohol? I have seen (and tasted) Zins with alcohol in the 13% range up to the really BIG Zins with 17% and higher.

Flavors can run the gamut from all fruit to all spice and tannin.

If you don't like one Zin from a particular vineyard and/or producer, try another and another and ... :)

Ken

I am not a fan of California zins (I don't think I've had any non-US zins). I have found them to be the worst examples of the New World style and thus not made for my taste.

However, I am always willing to reconsider! Can anyone recommend a balanced zin? Note: massive fruit does not make a wine balanced.

I am not a fan of California zins (I don't think I've had any non-US zins).  I have found them to be the worst examples of the New World style and thus not made for my taste.

However, I am always willing to reconsider!  Can anyone recommend a balanced zin?  Note:  massive fruit does not make a wine balanced.

mogsob, what is it about zins that you don't like?

i don't think any other country is producing zins at this time. i can't imagine it will stay that way for long though.

On behalf of my entire race I opollogize for the Zinfindel/Primitivo grape. Gaccccck! Except for that delightful Ravenwood wine, but maybe that is only the cool label talking.

I am Lover of Zins, and find that most of my cellar purchases for consumption are zins. I favor Howell Mtn"Black Sears", Ridge, Justin, Turley (price/availability considered), and Raven"S"wood. Bought some 97 Cosentino CigarZin for 15.00 a bottle and it's drinking quite well. Zinfandel was probably the first Red I started drinking on a regular basis

They tend to have to much alcohol and have a medicinal flavour which I don't like very much.

What is "too much" alcohol? I have seen (and tasted) Zins with alcohol in the 13% range up to the really BIG Zins with 17% and higher.

I guess that "too much" means that it is an unbalance componant (irrespective of the actual alcohol level). Many Zin. tend to taste unbalanced to me, but it could be that L just don't like the "Zinfandel" flavour. It is one of the very few wine types that I would choose not to drink. Yes, they have a wide range of flavours (like most wine), but I just really don't like the wine at all. Except for that lovely Sutter Home stuff :wink: .

• 1 month later...
I am not a fan of California zins (I don't think I've had any non-US zins).  I have found them to be the worst examples of the New World style and thus not made for my taste.

However, I am always willing to reconsider!  Can anyone recommend a balanced zin?  Note:  massive fruit does not make a wine balanced.

mogsob, what is it about zins that you don't like?

i don't think any other country is producing zins at this time. i can't imagine it will stay that way for long though.

I've heard of at least one grower in e Languedoc who is growing it experimentally. He had to get special dispensation form the French government to plant Zinfandel. They have laws about the grapes you are allowed to grow for wines. The Languedoc has little tradition in terms of fine wines and in some ways, resembles the "new world" when it comes to thinking about wine production.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I think Paso Robles Zinfandels are almost always good, and almost always more interesting than Zinfandels from other areas. I'm pretty ignorant in these matters, but it seems to me that a regional distinction is rare for a California or American grape. For instance, Napa Cabernets may be good, but not as a group distinct from Cabernets produced elsewhere (I might be wrong here, and am willing to drink the proof). But Paso Robles Zins seem to stand out. I'll bet with some practice I could identify a Paso Robles Zin by taste four times out of five.

Time to start practicing.

--

ID

--

• 2 months later...

Recently had a Fife Mendocino Uplands Zinfandel. Very Nice, good fruit(cranberry, cassis, blackberry kind of on the jammy side. Had a fair amount of spice but not as prominent as some other zins. Nice complexity, with a decent finish and what I thought was a good buy at $19 a bottle.

• 2 months later...

Actually I was recently sent an article by an oneophile friend that stated that California Zinfindel was indeed a genetic cousin of the Primitivo grape of Italy. But I have also heard of the Croatia connection as well. Any definitive conclusions from either? Personally, I think there are some mightly fine California Zins (I do like Rosenblum myself) as well as Primitivo d'Manduria wines from Italy for a fraction of the cost.

You are forgetting the Franzia 2003 blanc zin.

I recall having a great zin by Barnswood but, I haven't been able to find it in the stores when I remember. The '00 Ravenswood is a great buy- I can find it for as little as $9. Ridge is great, but generally out of my price range.

I can't imagine not liking red zins (now white, I understand). A. Rafanelli, as mentioned above, is simply an amazing wine. I recently enjoyed a half bottle at Chez Panisse, with a Niman Ranch beef tenderloin-- it was outstanding, and I carried the bottle back to Philly with me. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find --- haven't found it in Philly yet...any specific on where to drink it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Rancho Zabaco is a terrific zin, and inexpensive. Philadelphia Mag this month named it the state store pick of the month-- it's sold here for $11.99, but I found it in Trader Joes in VA for $9.99. Great w/ braised shortribs.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I want to register a protest here, there is far too much talking up of Zin. If this ever leaks out there will be a massive price hike and one of the true bargains to come out of California/Croatia will be lost forever. If you don't like Zinfandel that's fine, but if you do keep it quiet!

I can't imagine not liking red zins (now white, I understand). A. Rafanelli, as mentioned above, is simply an amazing wine. I recently enjoyed a half bottle at Chez Panisse, with a Niman Ranch beef tenderloin-- it was outstanding, and I carried the bottle back to Philly with me. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find --- haven't found it in Philly yet...any specific on where to drink it would be greatly appreciated.

Sara,

David Rafanelli told me that he sells mostly to restaurants that his wife likes the food. Of couse through various methods bottles seem to find their way onto select menu's. I would suggest calling the vineyard and asking who in Philly has their wines on the menu. A phone call well worth making.

If you are ever in the the Dry Creek Valley you should definitely make an appointment for a tour. Just before the millenium they blasted a cave for aging, and wine functions into one of their hills. You'll also enjoy meeting David who is a wonderful raconteur.

A. RAFANELLI WINERY, 4685 West Dry Creek Road, Healdsburg CA 95448. Phone:

707-433-1385 or 3415.