• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Offal in K.C.

Bumping.  Not quite offal, but does anyone have a KC area source for pork belly?  I asked at McG's, and got the big ol' 'buh...wha?' stare.

You can always order it from Niman Ranch if all else fails.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Bumping.  Not quite offal, but does anyone have a KC area source for pork belly?  I asked at McG's, and got the big ol' 'buh...wha?' stare.

Whole Foods? Dean & Deluca? :unsure:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Thanks!! I've been to that place before (if I'm thinking of the same one - near the old Sunshine Bakery?) and have forgotten its name - over in K.C., KS??

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Thanks!!  I've been to that place before (if I'm thinking of the same one - near the old Sunshine Bakery?) and have forgotten its name - over in K.C., KS??

u.e.

Sunshine is in Fairfax i believe, it west of there about 2 miles.

Okay, this is going to be a question from WAY out in left field... I've been wanting for years to plant a fig tree here in my yard. I know they're not indigenous to this area, but, when I lived in D.C., there was a fig tree in my yard that I nearly picked clean (amazingly) in the summers. Now, I figured that if they can grow in D.C., they can grow here... the only problem is finding a graft...

Anyone out there in K.C. seen/have a fig tree?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Okay, this is going to be a question from WAY out in left field...  I've been wanting for years to plant a fig tree here in my yard.  I know they're not indigenous to this area, but, when I lived in D.C., there was a fig tree in my yard that I nearly picked clean (amazingly) in the summers.  Now, I figured that if they can grow in D.C., they can grow here... the only problem is finding a graft...

I haven't seen it yet, but the rumor is there is one behind the restaurant that's 90 years old, I have seen the grape vines the owner of the lot makes his wine out of. I haven't seen the owner this year, I'm afraid he might have passed away this year. I remember when he would go to the frog for wine bottles to put his wine in.

Okay, this is going to be a question from WAY out in left field...  I've been wanting for years to plant a fig tree here in my yard.  I know they're not indigenous to this area, but, when I lived in D.C., there was a fig tree in my yard that I nearly picked clean (amazingly) in the summers.  Now, I figured that if they can grow in D.C., they can grow here... the only problem is finding a graft...

A retired judge friend of mine planted one near the federal court building downtown and he used to bring me figs from it periodically, so it can be done. I wouldn't put it on the north side of my house, though.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 months later...

Just noticed that Room39 is offering Sweetbreads for Dinner... the menu online says its served as lightly breaded and seared with Tuffle Mashed Potatoes, Glazed Carrots, and a Brandy Cream Sauce priced at $21.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 3 weeks later...

Another offal sighting....... Just had dinner at Lidia's and they have veal tongue on the app menu right now. Very thin slices surrounded by three different sauces (carrot, horseradish, and then a really great combo of capers and diced eggs) and a little frisee salad on top. I really liked it. Very much like a cold roast beef salad except the beef is buttery smooth and tender. The sweetbreads are still on the menu, as is the Campo Lindo chicken liver dish.

Speaking of buttery smoothness and beef....one new non-offal item on the menu is a Wagyu beef cheek ravioli. Need to try that next time.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Another offal sighting....... Just had dinner at Lidia's and they have veal tongue on the app menu right now.  Very thin slices surrounded by three different sauces (carrot, horseradish, and then a really great combo of capers and diced eggs) and a little frisee salad on top.  I really liked it. Very much like a cold roast beef salad except the beef is buttery smooth and tender.   The sweetbreads are still on the menu, as is the Campo Lindo chicken liver dish. 

Speaking of buttery smoothness and beef....one new non-offal item on the menu is a Wagyu beef cheek ravioli.  Need to try that next time.

Great reporting, Zeemanb!! It's been too long since I've checked out Lidia's... sounds like I need to make my way there soon! This is just their dinner menu, correct? I've never seen any offal on their lunch menus... which probably (sadly) makes sense...

u.e.

Edited for gross misspellings. :sad:

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Great reporting, Zeemanb!!  It's been too long since I've checked out Lidia's... sounds like I need to make my way there soon!  This is just their dinner menu, correct?  I've never seen any offal on their lunch menus... which probably (sadly) makes sense...

Those dishes are only on the dinner menu as far as I know, but I don't see them refusing to serve a dinner item at lunch. Couldn't hurt to call ahead and see if you're heading down there one afternoon. I'm really shocked to see sweetbreads AND tongue on the menu at the same time. As of six months ago the server I spoke to about the popularity of offal dishes said they only sell a handful every week. Hopefully things are starting to change!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Another offal sighting....... Just had dinner at Lidia's and they have veal tongue on the app menu right now.  Very thin slices surrounded by three different sauces (carrot, horseradish, and then a really great combo of capers and diced eggs) and a little frisee salad on top.  I really liked it. Very much like a cold roast beef salad except the beef is buttery smooth and tender.  The sweetbreads are still on the menu, as is the Campo Lindo chicken liver dish. 

Speaking of buttery smoothness and beef....one new non-offal item on the menu is a Wagyu beef cheek ravioli.  Need to try that next time.

Growing up post depression in the Midwest we were always fed offal, my Nana would tell me offal was a translation from when the animal is killed and hung to bleed then gutted anything that fell out was offal, or not attached by tendons to a bone. I can understand kidneys and liver etcetera, but how does tongue fall (or out of) into that category?

Yes, bbqqueen, that's what I thought too, so I looked it up. In Merriam Webster, "offal" is described as:

1 : the waste or by-product of a process: as a : trimmings of a hide b : the by-products of milling used especially for stock feeds c : the viscera and trimmings of a butchered animal removed in dressing : VARIETY MEAT

The online M-W dictionary defines "variety meats" here.

an edible part (as the liver or tongue) of a slaughter animal other than skeletal muscle.

According to their definition, I guess tongue does count as offal. So would oxtails, I assume, since they are edible, but considered trimmings of an animal.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...
o.k. here i am.  who will be next to crawl out from under their chinois and post?  Micheal Smith?  Ted Habiger?  Maybe even Mano Raphael?  yeah right!

Be careful what you wish for.

Actually, now that you've surfaced, I think I'll start a "lurking KC chefs" thread. So many people have projects in the works it might be worth its own topic. Not that anyone will actually 'spill' what they're up to.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

o.k. here i am.  who will be next to crawl out from under their chinois and post?  Micheal Smith?  Ted Habiger?  Maybe even Mano Raphael?  yeah right!

:biggrin: I knew you would show up one of these days....

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

• 2 weeks later...

In the past months, I have found oxtail at the following places: McGonigle's, some Price Choppers (if you ask in advance), Sam's Club and Walmart. Forgive me for shopping at the latter two, for those of you who think that the Walton empire is *evil.*

Here's the oxtail soup that I made for dinner last night; basic broth-based braising liquid soup with tomatoes, onions, cabbage and potatoes:

gallery_37441_4002_58748.jpg

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently either the holidays mean offal, or McGonigle's has heeded the call. Less than 10 pound packages of various things were to be had in their upright freezer case one aisle over from the meat counter today- including small, manageable packages of sweetbreads.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Apparently either the holidays mean offal, or McGonigle's has heeded the call.  Less than 10 pound packages of various things were to be had in their upright freezer case one aisle over from the meat counter today- including small, manageable packages of sweetbreads.

Are you sure they weren't holiday pastries? :laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

In the past months, I have found oxtail at the following places: McGonigle's, some Price Choppers (if you ask in advance), Sam's Club and Walmart.  Forgive me for shopping at the latter two, for those of you who think that the Walton empire is *evil.*

Here's the oxtail soup that I made for dinner last night; basic broth-based braising liquid soup with tomatoes, onions, cabbage and potatoes:

gallery_37441_4002_58748.jpg

Oh! You're my little elf! Thanks for that news!!

You know, moosnsqrl, I've been accused of confussing the two.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Mmmm, veal pastries!

No no, clearly labelled.  Despite living in JoCo, I do know what sweetbreads are.

It wasn't really intended as a JoCo barb - this time. I just heard something on the radio about a misunderstanding of the term yesterday and your post brought it to mind. They also were long an outlet for Strawberry Hill povitica (before SH opened their own retail storefront) so there was that connection in my sick, twisted mind as well.

And you made UE's tail wag which, after all, is what we're all about here, so it's a happy holiday all the way around! :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher