• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Offal in K.C.

I'm taking the liberty of moving a related conversation to a new home...

Short of driving out to the good people at the Paradise Locker in Trimble, Missouri can anyone tell me where I might obtain some good offal in the Kansas City metro area? Specifically, I'm looking for veal sweetbreads, brains and other "specialty cuts" (ie. innards)?

Along these lines... while I love the molten goodness of fried brains, I have only had them outside the U.S. This is due to a number of factors: namely, it's rarely offered on American menus... and if it is, I hesitate from the "mad cow" disease factor... does anyone know:

(1) Whether brains are really available? And,

(2) Any restaurant in the U.S. serves them? The only one that I've ever seen offer it on their menu (in fact, it's a regular item on their dinner menu) is at a restaurant called La Chaumierein Georgetown. I walked by dozens of times without ever going in when I worked and lived in D.C.

U.E.

[edited to enable link]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

... Sigh... no news is bad news? Does this mean that I can't find "specialty meats" in K.C.? I'm hope that my inquiry hasn't disgusted fellow eGulleters in the Heartland - lest you all keep a collective silence, wagging your heads quietly in disapproval of my prurient interests in consuming unspeakables... :blink: Chef CAG, any others? There's gotta be some local source?

In other news - to update - it seems that Mario Batali does serve a "Lamb's Brain "Francobolli" (a pasta dish with lemon and sage) at Babbo.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

... Sigh... no news is bad news?  Does this mean that I can't find "specialty meats" in K.C.?  I'm hope that my inquiry hasn't disgusted fellow eGulleters in the Heartland - lest you all keep a collective silence, wagging your heads quietly in disapproval of my prurient interests in consuming unspeakables...  :blink:  Chef CAG, any others?  There's gotta be some local source?

You've touched on a subject I know nothing about u.e. My dad often refers to me as an "Almost Vegetarian," although I like meat, I just don't often seek it out, with the exception of a good greasy cheeeburger! Have you tried Rancher's Gourmet Meats? I kind of doubt it, but I guess you never know! http://www.ranchersmeats.com/index.php

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 3 weeks later...

I called up ranchers meats as Katie Nell suggested. They can order both sweetbreads and cow brains - but only in 5lbs. quantities. They are happy to repackage/cryovac the order in smaller portions for home cooking/freezing convenience.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

There's a small butcher in the city market I get my protiens from. I like it better than the Paradise Locker in Trimble, Missouri. Everything he offers is fresh and very reasonable in price. He should have the offal you are looking for. I run offal on my menu weekly, Mano at Le fou Frog has been serving brains. Good Luck with your search.

There's a small butcher in the city market I get my protiens from. I like it better than the Paradise Locker in Trimble, Missouri. Everything he offers is fresh and very reasonable in price. He should have the offal you are looking for. I run offal on my menu weekly, Mano at Le fou Frog has been serving brains. Good Luck with your search.

monkfish.

1. Looking for sweatbreads as well...

2. Where is it that you "run offal" on your menu weekly? I need to visit! Tatsu's?

3. LFF is running brains? Really?!?!?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

monkfish.

1. Looking for sweatbreads as well...

2. Where is it that you "run offal" on your menu weekly? I need to visit! Tatsu's?

3. LFF is running brains? Really?!?!?

u.e.

I love your blog and I don't want to end up on it. Nothing personal. I'm just tired of people wanting to critic restaurants. My food isn't fancy but I try to serve local food, including produce with out shipping in for other areas. I.e. if baby fennel isn't being grown here right now I'm not going to ship it in from Mexico. In the summer time I go to farmer’s markets some times I'll buy organic, but I’d rather buy from the ten year old kid that planted his garden with his grandfather. So I'm not into all the fou fou, I'm into the style of country food. Because of that I can become a bit testy at times with vegans calling me in the dead of winter with out 48 hours notice so I can ship in from warmer areas. So I can put some thought in to the 9 courses they are going to eat. I’m a prix fixed restaurant and don't cater to picky eaters. I don't alter my menu for religious reasons because of all the wars that have been started in the name of religion. I do allow diners with dietary needs with 24 hours notice. Vegans/Picky diners are dietary choices, not a need. When Judy called within 20 hours of her reservation for Stretches birthday party of 5 wanting to alter the menu for two or three diners I became testy. My style has also put off a lot of people because I’m a one man kitchen with menu changing every day. That’s why I’m reservation only. I’m not going to say the name of my restaurant because I don’t want to come over as self promoting. Here is how I served them this week.

Tuesday:

Sweet breads in a version of French onion soup made from a sweet bread stock and 5 onions with Morbier Cheese.

Wednesday:

Sweet breads with pressed Veal Breast.

Thursday:

Sweet Breads with Gnocchi Al’a Romaine with Autumn Preserved tomato fondue.

Friday:

Semolina Roasted Sweet Breads with a ragout of local raised Muscovy duck leg.

Saturday:

“Soup” Veal Sweet Breads with potato gnocchi & Squash

When Judy called within 20 hours of her reservation for Stretches birthday party of 5 wanting to alter the menu for two or three diners I became testy.

Pete! Welcome to eG. Glad you are posting. I look forward to engaging in civilized, meaningful dialog. Many, many people in KC revere your cooking. I think we can get past the other 'stuff' and contribute to the vibrant local dining scene.

I'm glad you came out of the shadows.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

When Judy called within 20 hours of her reservation for Stretches birthday party of 5 wanting to alter the menu for two or three diners I became testy.

Pete! Welcome to eG. Glad you are posting. I look forward to engaging in civilized, meaningful dialog. Many, many people in KC revere your cooking. I think we can get past the other 'stuff' and contribute to the vibrant local dining scene.

Sounds fair, we'll just keep my restaurant out of here, & I won't make comments about other places that I wouldn't make about my own. I'm just here for the food chat.

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

Sounds fair, we'll just keep my restaurant out of here, & I won't make comments about other places that I wouldn't make about my own. I'm just here for the food chat.

...that's all anyone is here for.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Don't worry, your restaurant is on my list of "to-do's." I look forward to visiting soon. :wink:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

...that's all anyone is here for.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Don't worry, your restaurant is on my list of "to-do's." I look forward to visiting soon. :wink:

u.e.

Back to you question call John at arrowhead game 816.628.2099, or try the middle eastern market in the city market they also the buy from fisher-blane just like John does. If you are after foie gras don't mess with John all he has is La bella farms. call Dartagnan in NY, I had to start using them for the gras I prefer Hudson Valley. If you want pork organ meat try Bickelmiers in KCK. Veal & Lamb the small butcher in the city market should have them. He raises the livestock himself and sells it also. I believe the place is called Kansas city seafood or something like that.

Please be warned I don't allow pics taken in the restaurant and anyone caught will be shown the door.

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

Thanks, Pete, for all of your suggestions!

Please be warned I don't allow pics taken in the restaurant and anyone caught will be shown the door.

Don't worry, I figured as much and wouldn't bother...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Back to you question call John at arrowhead game 816.628.2099, or try the middle eastern market in the city market they also the buy from fisher-blane just like John does. If you are after foie gras don't mess with John all he has is La bella farms.

I am afraid you are mistaken about Arrowhead Game, John does not buy meat from Fisher-Blaine. He was partnered with them for a short while for storage and distribution purposes, and, since his meat was being delivered by their trucks their products were available as well. This is no longer the case. He is a wholesaler as they are and as such sources his own product (he supplies specialty product, they market mainly to retail stores). Also I would like to say that I have been quite pleased with the La Belle foie gras. As with any product it must be carefully scrutinized for quality every time it comes through the door, but I find it to be no lesser quality than Hudson or Sonoma Valley, i use 15-18 lbs. per week and have to send back a lobe only on rare occasions. If great artisanal foie gras is what you are looking for you may try Au Bon Canard Foie Gras, 507-724-1042 and speak with Christian Gasset, he produces beautiful product right here in the heartland in Caledonia, MN. Another aside about John is they will soon be raising wagyu beef in Holt, MO which should bring in a whole new world of premium offal meat to the Kansas City area.

As for u.e.'s insatiable appetite for offal, if all else fails give me a call at bluestem, 816.561.4321, and ask for Dave. I should be able to dig up what your looking for, and if it comes in a quanity too large for you, we can always use what you can't take in the restaurant, besides we just began getting Elysian Fields lamb and I'm dying for an excuse to order some lamb's brains :wink:

David Crum

Chef de Cusine, bluestem

The first 2 lines are a quote from monkfish_103, I apologize for my computer illiteracy.

Edited by David Crum (log)

Also I would like to say that I have been quite pleased with the La Belle foie gras.  As with any product it must be carefully scrutinized for quality every time it comes through the door, but I find it to be no lesser quality than Hudson or Sonoma Valley, i use 15-18 lbs. per week and have to send back a lobe only on rare occasions.

Yes, I remember the last time I was in, I had the La Belle Farm foie. I've also had it at a number of Midwest restuarants. Does LBF produce goose foie or strictly canard foie?

If great artisanal foie gras is what you are looking for you may try Au Bon Canard Foie Gras, 507-724-1042 and speak with Christian Gasset, he produces beautiful product right here in the heartland in Caledonia, MN.

Have you/anyone heard of a foie produced by an "ABC Farm" out of Minnesota? I had foie at Levain in Minneapolis that was sourced from that producer.

Another aside about John is they will soon be raising wagyu beef in Holt, MO which should bring in a whole new world of premium offal meat to the Kansas City area.
Exciting!
As for u.e.'s insatiable appetite for offal...

LOL!! :laugh: You make me sound like a real-life Hannibal Lector!! Queue: fava beans and Chianti!

...besides we just began getting Elysian Fields lamb
....mmmm had some at TRU and at Per Se recently...
and I'm dying for an excuse to order some lamb's brains  :wink:
Great, coming soon to a bluestem near me!! YAY!! You'll send me a-flockin'.... pun intended! :wink:

Can't wait for my next offal-inspired visit to bluestem! Thanks for the posting David. Keep in touch!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

OK, who invited all of these pesky chefs to our food forum? :raz: Doolittle, we know you're out there so come out, come out, wherever you are.

Dave C, glad to see you're on-board officially - we've appreciated your previous contributions via Colby's account. Don't worry about the quotes - I don't think any among us can say we haven't struggled with them. They've even driven the generally mild-mannered to swear on occasion!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Back to you question call John at arrowhead game 816.628.2099, or try the middle eastern market in the city market they also the buy from fisher-blane just like John does. If you are after foie gras don't mess with John all he has is La bella farms.

I am afraid you are mistaken about Arrowhead Game, John does not buy meat from Fisher-Blaine.  He was partnered with them for a short while for storage and distribution purposes, and, since his meat was being delivered by their trucks their products were available as well. This is no longer the case.  He is a wholesaler as they are and as such sources his own product (he supplies specialty product, they market mainly to retail stores).  Also I would like to say that I have been quite pleased with the La Belle foie gras.  As with any product it must be carefully scrutinized for quality every time it comes through the door, but I find it to be no lesser quality than Hudson or Sonoma Valley, i use 15-18 lbs. per week and have to send back a lobe only on rare occasions.  If great artisanal foie gras is what you are looking for you may try Au Bon Canard Foie Gras, 507-724-1042 and speak with Christian Gasset, he produces beautiful product right here in the heartland in Caledonia, MN.  Another aside about John is they will soon be raising wagyu beef in Holt, MO which should bring in a whole new world of premium offal meat to the Kansas City area. 

As for u.e.'s insatiable appetite for offal, if all else fails give me a call at bluestem, 816.561.4321, and ask for Dave. I should be able to dig up what your looking for, and if it comes in a quanity too large for you, we can always use what you can't take in the restaurant, besides we just began getting Elysian Fields lamb and I'm dying for an excuse to order some lamb's brains  :wink:

David Crum

Chef de Cusine, bluestem

The first 2 lines are a quote from monkfish_103, I apologize for my computer illiteracy.

Sorry David if I was mistaken about John & Fisher-Blane, I know when I buy from L&C it's the same product & Rob gets it from Fisher-Blane.

While you are here Dave maybe you know of a source for Canadian Goose Foie, I worked with some a few years back and lost my source. My Torchon isn't the same using duck foie. I love the fattiness the goose offered. The La Bella I had to throw out alot of bruises & run it though the Tammi after it was poached and dried, I'm afraid the product was too old it was really mealy. The Sonoma I didn't mind when I could get it fresh, I Just roasted & basted it. I didn't have a problem with it turning rubbery, I cut mine about an 1 1/2 inch thick so i can achive the three textures you need for foie and roasting it at low heat cut down on the fat loss.

Thanks, Pete, for all of your suggestions!

Don't worry, I figured as much and wouldn't bother...

u.e.

You can come in and dine, I'll even pay for it. I just have issues with everyone wanting to be a food critic. I didn't decided to become a cook for the critics, I decided to cook because that what I wanted to do.

You can come in and dine, I'll even pay for it. I just have issues with everyone wanting to be a food critic. I didn't decided to become a cook for the critics, I decided to cook because that what I wanted to do.

Thanks, but no thanks. I dine on my terms, just as much as you cook on yours. :wink:

...carry on...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Thanks, but no thanks. I dine on my terms, just as much as you cook on yours. :wink:

...carry on...

u.e.

Carry on, now that remindes me of my military days in the Third I.D. lol..Carry on Bulldog soldiers and cross the Rhine...etc...lol

Yes, I remember the last time I was in, I had the La Belle Farm foie. I've also had it at a number of Midwest restuarants. Does LBF produce goose foie or strictly canard foie?

La Belle produces stricktly duck foie gras.

Have you/anyone heard of a foie produced by an "ABC Farm" out of Minnesota? I had foie at Levain in Minneapolis that was sourced from that producer.

"ABC" is Au Bon Canard.

While you are here Dave maybe you know of a source for Canadian Goose Foie

Possibly try Great Ciao in Minneapolis.

Great Ciao

1201 Dupont Avenue North

Minneapolis, MN 55411

PH: 612.521.8725

Fax: 612.521.1253

Good Luck!

"ABC" is Au Bon Canard.

Doh!! :huh::laugh:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm taking the liberty of moving a related conversation to a new home...

Short of driving out to the good people at the Paradise Locker in Trimble, Missouri can anyone tell me where I might obtain some good offal in the Kansas City metro area? Specifically, I'm looking for veal sweetbreads, brains and other "specialty cuts" (ie. innards)?

Along these lines... while I love the molten goodness of fried brains, I have only had them outside the U.S. This is due to a number of factors: namely, it's rarely offered on American menus... and if it is, I hesitate from the "mad cow" disease factor... does anyone know:

(1) Whether brains are really available? And,

(2) Any restaurant in the U.S. serves them? The only one that I've ever seen offer it on their menu (in fact, it's a regular item on their dinner menu) is at a restaurant called La Chaumierein Georgetown. I walked by dozens of times without ever going in when I worked and lived in D.C.

U.E.

[edited to enable link]

[/qu

Went to the Ks. Side and picked up lamb sweet breads today if you want a couple of pounds give me a call they were 3.40 a lb or something like that. They did have brains at 2 something a lb but it was in a 30 lb case but, the plus side is they were packed in 1 lb boxes. They had new Zealand or Iowa. I have a tiny freezer for ice cream so I didn't pick any up. I might pick some up next week and use them for the amuse. They also have a full line of berkshire pork there if you are interested. I can give you their number direct. If you want.

Went to the Ks. Side and picked up lamb sweet breads today if you want a couple of pounds give me a call they were 3.40 a lb or something like that.

Is there a minimum amount?

They did have brains at 2 something a lb but it was in a 30 lb case but, the plus side is they were packed in 1 lb boxes. They had new Zealand or Iowa. I have a tiny freezer for ice cream so I didn't pick any up. I might pick some up next week and use them for the amuse. They also have a full line of berkshire pork there if you are interested.
Not a bad price, although I'm not sure I could justify purchasing more than 5lbs. at a time...
I can give you their number direct. If you want.
Would appreciate it.

Thanks monkfish_103!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Went to the Ks. Side and picked up lamb sweet breads today if you want a couple of pounds give me a call they were 3.40 a lb or something like that.

Is there a minimum amount?

They did have brains at 2 something a lb but it was in a 30 lb case but, the plus side is they were packed in 1 lb boxes. They had new Zealand or Iowa. I have a tiny freezer for ice cream so I didn't pick any up. I might pick some up next week and use them for the amuse. They also have a full line of berkshire pork there if you are interested.
Not a bad price, although I'm not sure I could justify purchasing more than 5lbs. at a time...
I can give you their number direct. If you want.
Would appreciate it.

Thanks monkfish_103!

u.e.

Contact me next week and I'll have them in, (brains that is) I have the Lamb breads now. I broke them down into 1/2 lb bags if you want some.

Contact me next week and I'll have them in, (brains that is) I have the Lamb breads now. I broke them down into 1/2 lb bags if you want some.

I'm actually not in K.C. right now, and won't be for quite some time. Please just post or p.m. me the number to the provider.

Thanks!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account