• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffed Squid Tubes

woodburner

A greek restaurant in Norfolk VA, the Orapax Inn, used to make delicious stuffed squid. Their stuffing was simple, mostly diced onion and celery with some herbs and lemon and parsley.

Haven't been there in years. The pizza used to be good there too.

in greece when the squid is big (over 10 cm) we fill it with a mix of diced onions that have been lightly caramelized, loads of fresh parsley, black pepper and feta cheese - we add a few grains of rice to absorb the liquids and bake the squid in a very hot oven for about 20 minutes

there is also another filling with mussels and shrimp

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious

Oh yummy. We make non-spicy Thai soup using stuffed squid tubes. You could also blanch them and make a spicy salad. The stuffing is ground pork with a garlic, white pepper, coriander root paste and a little salt. Yum! I haven't made that in ages... I think I need to go find some squid tubes.

I'll second the thai pork-stuffed-squid soup. Good stuff. There's a nice recipe in Thai Food by David Thompson.

A problem that I have with stuffed squid is the 2 minute/2 hour problem, that is, either cook it for 2 minutes or 2 hours. That time frame doesn't always work for the stuffing. Using the pork-stuffed squid as an example, the pork was underdone by the time the squid was done, and by the time the pork was done, the squid was a bit tough. Do any of you precook your stuffing ingredients, or precook the squid?

Making a stuffing out of crabmeat and onions is great too! Add some bell peppers to add a bit of texture to it! ;)

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

chorizo, foccacia, olive oil and parsley

oooh that sounds good. I fry up squid in the fat released from frying chorizo as a thrown together warm salad, actually some bread fried in the same fat would make it even better.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I had some really great stuffed squid in an italian restaurant that had meat and rice. I also was on this discovery of slavic cooking, so one day I made this recipe with some little calmari tubes to serve 2-3 people:

for 18 small tubes (size of two fingers), the stuffing is veal belly which I have seperated from most of the fat and skin and chopped fine with a cleaver, olive oil, a little bit of herbs like thyme and herb de garrigue, onion, salt, pepper, and just a small handful of long thai rice mixed in to absorb the juices and give it some more body. Then put them in a dish with bay leaves, juniper berries, cloves, cinnamon stick, cover that with white wine, cover and bake in a medium oven for 40 minutes.

gallery_15176_15_35622.jpg

It's now my favorite, although some of the combinations in this thread are looking pretty good!

I'll second the thai pork-stuffed-squid soup.  Good stuff.  There's a nice recipe in Thai Food by David Thompson.

A problem that I have with stuffed squid is the 2 minute/2 hour problem, that is, either cook it for 2 minutes or 2 hours.  That time frame doesn't always work for the stuffing.  Using the pork-stuffed squid as an example, the pork was underdone by the time the squid was done, and by the time the pork was done, the squid was a bit tough.  Do any of you precook your stuffing ingredients, or precook the squid?

Hrm.. I've never seen the stuffing precooked. When we did it it was always very small squid so there wasn't that much stuffing. Maybe a tbsp? It's usually very quickly blanched so I don't remember tough squid or raw pork. When we served it the squid is sliced across into rings. That might have helped? I don't know. I'm sorry I wish I had more to add. I'll try to make this dish and see if I notice anything with the timing etc.

Too much stuffing might have been the problem. Generally, I tend to overstuff: tacos, crepes, zucchini, you name it. I actually scored the top of the squid to make the pork more exposed, but the squid was still a bit overcooked (but still tasty). I'll try stuffing it with less pork next time, thanks.

I'll second the thai pork-stuffed-squid soup.  Good stuff.  There's a nice recipe in Thai Food by David Thompson.

A problem that I have with stuffed squid is the 2 minute/2 hour problem, that is, either cook it for 2 minutes or 2 hours.  That time frame doesn't always work for the stuffing.  Using the pork-stuffed squid as an example, the pork was underdone by the time the squid was done, and by the time the pork was done, the squid was a bit tough.  Do any of you precook your stuffing ingredients, or precook the squid?

Hrm.. I've never seen the stuffing precooked. When we did it it was always very small squid so there wasn't that much stuffing. Maybe a tbsp? It's usually very quickly blanched so I don't remember tough squid or raw pork. When we served it the squid is sliced across into rings. That might have helped? I don't know. I'm sorry I wish I had more to add. I'll try to make this dish and see if I notice anything with the timing etc.