• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freshly-Baked Gluten Free Bread in Paris

David Lebovitz

Does anyone know of a gluten-free bakery in Paris?

I would imagine it would be impossible for a regular boulangerie to make gluten-free bread if they produce other breads in the same space, but thought I would ask.

I know the natural-food stores carry several, but a friend of mine's looking for freshly-baked, if possible.

I am gluten free and have been to Paris on many occasions and have yet to find any gluten-free bread. Would love to find some and will continue my search when I go out next week.

There is some good news though.....Pierre Herme macaroons do not contain flour (need to check this when you buy some) and they are heavenly.

Couldn't find any reference in Le Guide de Boulangeries de Paris but a quick search on Lycos.fr threw up GlutaBye, gluten free artisan products, with a list of suppliers in Paris here

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back and still nowhere closer to finding fresh gluten free bread in Paris.

I did go to Monprix behind Galeries Lafayette and they had a fabulous selection of swag. Wonderful madeleines and little raisin buns as well as some fairly decent biscuits.

Also Fauchon do a gluten free almond cake (quite expensive though) packed up in a little pink box.

I'll still keep looking.

A close friend of mine here in Paris has Coeliac's disease and thus must live gluten free. Serendipity! He just last week set up a website and forum called Gluten Free Paris. There isn't a lot of information yet, but some. He hopes it'll become a clearinghouse for sharing gluten free info.

The link is:

http://linuxmigrations.hd.free.fr/glutenfree/

Lafayette Gourmand has a gluten free section (exit the wine, turn left, just near the seasonal spices). Steve (the friend) also recommends looking at the Lafayette Gourmand brand foods rather than the Bio/Organic. More of them are Gluten Free. (He claims their Piperade basque is a nongluten delight!)

For bread the best option he's found is the Naturalia health food chain. They carry an extensive range of GF foods. Unfortunately, fresh-baked is still unfound.

We hope the Gluten Free Paris website will turn up discussion and unearth a possibility for fresh bread!

Dining with Steve, we have come to find that a lot of the smaller chef/owner restaurants are the best option for gluten free. Once they understand the needs, it is easy for them to know precisely which ingredients might have thickening or preserving agent that can cause problems for Coeliacs. Other than a new bistro which I've recommended and is also on the gluten free site, we've had good luck for him at Chanterelles in the rue LaPlace in the 5th (solid Auvergnat fare).... But that discussion might be best continued in a specialized location for GF?

cheers to all