• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
David Lebovitz

Freshly-Baked Gluten Free Bread in Paris

Does anyone know of a gluten-free bakery in Paris?

I would imagine it would be impossible for a regular boulangerie to make gluten-free bread if they produce other breads in the same space, but thought I would ask.

I know the natural-food stores carry several, but a friend of mine's looking for freshly-baked, if possible.

I would also love to know since I have a relative that visits every so often who cannot have anything with gluten. :smile: It would be worth a special trip to Paris for us the next time he visits if there's one out there!

I am gluten free and have been to Paris on many occasions and have yet to find any gluten-free bread. Would love to find some and will continue my search when I go out next week.

There is some good news though.....Pierre Herme macaroons do not contain flour (need to check this when you buy some) and they are heavenly.

Couldn't find any reference in Le Guide de Boulangeries de Paris but a quick search on Lycos.fr threw up GlutaBye, gluten free artisan products, with a list of suppliers in Paris here

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

Just got back and still nowhere closer to finding fresh gluten free bread in Paris.

I did go to Monprix behind Galeries Lafayette and they had a fabulous selection of swag. Wonderful madeleines and little raisin buns as well as some fairly decent biscuits.

Also Fauchon do a gluten free almond cake (quite expensive though) packed up in a little pink box.

I'll still keep looking.

A close friend of mine here in Paris has Coeliac's disease and thus must live gluten free. Serendipity! He just last week set up a website and forum called Gluten Free Paris. There isn't a lot of information yet, but some. He hopes it'll become a clearinghouse for sharing gluten free info.

The link is:

http://linuxmigrations.hd.free.fr/glutenfree/

Lafayette Gourmand has a gluten free section (exit the wine, turn left, just near the seasonal spices). Steve (the friend) also recommends looking at the Lafayette Gourmand brand foods rather than the Bio/Organic. More of them are Gluten Free. (He claims their Piperade basque is a nongluten delight!)

For bread the best option he's found is the Naturalia health food chain. They carry an extensive range of GF foods. Unfortunately, fresh-baked is still unfound.

We hope the Gluten Free Paris website will turn up discussion and unearth a possibility for fresh bread!

Dining with Steve, we have come to find that a lot of the smaller chef/owner restaurants are the best option for gluten free. Once they understand the needs, it is easy for them to know precisely which ingredients might have thickening or preserving agent that can cause problems for Coeliacs. Other than a new bistro which I've recommended and is also on the gluten free site, we've had good luck for him at Chanterelles in the rue LaPlace in the 5th (solid Auvergnat fare).... But that discussion might be best continued in a specialized location for GF?

cheers to all

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      The rise and fall of French cuisine

interesting read.

• By Pastrypastmidnight
      So I tried my hand at croissants for the first time in about 5 years. I used the recipe from the Bouchon Bakery cookbook. Despite the fact that I really struggled rolling them out (the dough was very stiff and resisted rolling), tore the dough layer in small patches quite a bit on the last turn, and probably took too long letting the butter get too warm, I got nice layers on the outside and on the interior and they did shatter nicely on the outside. I did not get that beautiful open honeycomb interior, however. 

I’d love any tips or feedback or advice anyone could offer to do better next time—thanks!

• By apilinariosilvia
      Can anyone give me idea how to make homemade french bread in wood fired oven?
    • By pastrygirl
      There are two local grocery stores here who I'd like to try to sell chocolate to but they have policies forbidding GMO soy,  Soy lecithin is allowed only if organic or certified non-GMO. 

I use a lot of Felchlin, some Valrhona, a little Cacao Barry. The only mention of GMOs I've found from Felchlin is this note in a brochure: GMO absence:  Felchlin fulfills current legislative requirements regarding GMO absence.  All Felchlin products comply with the Swiss Regulation and the European Council Regulation related to genetically modified organisms in food and feed.

Does anybody know what those requirements are?  Is anything European going to be GMO-free?  Or labeled above some %?

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)