• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Cantonese Roast Chicken with Nam Yu

hzrt8w

Lovely! All three generations in one place. Anybody wants to be my aunt or my niece? :raz:

Now I need to bake half a dozen chickens to feed the hungry family!

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Lovely!  All three generations in one place.  Anybody wants to be my aunt or my niece?  :raz:

Now I need to bake half a dozen chickens to feed the hungry family!

I call the niece!

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Lovely!  All three generations in one place.  Anybody wants to be my aunt or my niece?  :raz:Now I need to bake half a dozen chickens to feed the hungry family!

Please send ASAP FedEx so I don't have to make it myself for Po-Po. :laugh:

Sorry, Tepee. He's already calling me Dai Ga Jeah, so you must be...niece...or, I suppose you COULD be Mui Mui. But then, you'd always get the drumsticks! :angry::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 2 months later...

Hzrt8w,

This is probably rather idiotic, but can this be done with parts rather than whole chickens?

I picked up a whole big 12lb pack of thighs at Costco thinking that they were the boneless/skinless ones that I buy there all the time.

I don't know how to properly bone thighs.... and so must find some way to use them up. :unsure:

This is probably rather idiotic, but can this be done with parts rather than whole chickens?

[...]

I think it may be okay with chicken thighs/legs. It would be hard to do with wings or breasts.

Just try it.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

How had I missed this pictorial until now? The photo of the chickens suspended from a paper towel holder is the best MacGyver kitchen trick I think I've ever seen in my life. I think I'm going to have to make this recipe soon just to try that.

Ah Leung, your pictorials are always wonderful but you really outdid yourself with this one! Is there still any room left for extra family members?

Jennie

Wow! Leung!! this was truly gorgeous... Never felt more ablighed to do try recipe shown on Egullet than this one :smile:

First.. some questions about the special ingriendients for us Non-Chinese (I'm Swedish - will have a hassle to get hold of thís stuff)

What's red bean curd? how does it differ from the regular white stuff, must be lots of difference, makingwise etcetra?

What's chinese red vinegar made of?

[...]Ah Leung, your pictorials are always wonderful but you really outdid yourself with this one!  Is there still any room left for extra family members?

I already gained a mother, a daughter, a sister and a niece through this recipe. Where may you fit in? :raz::laugh:

What's red bean curd? how does it differ from the regular white stuff, must be lots of difference, makingwise etcetra?

What's chinese red vinegar made of?

I thought I had created an ingredient page on red fermented bean curd. I guess I haven't.

It is similar to the regular fermented bean curd:

Fermented Bean Curd, or Preserved Bean Curd

They are both found in the same section in the market usually.

Red fermented bean curds are a bit harder, the taste is a bit more intense. Hard to describe. Just have to taste it yourself.

I believe the Chinese red vinegar is made by fermenting sticky rice.

[...]Ah Leung, your pictorials are always wonderful but you really outdid yourself with this one!  Is there still any room left for extra family members?

I already gained a mother, a daughter, a sister and a niece through this recipe. Where may you fit in? :raz::laugh:

Hmm, I didn't see cousin in the list! :biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously, I think I am going to try to make this in two weeks after I get back from Chicago. It looks delicious.

Jennie