• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocoatl

LordBalthazar

Acting on a tip from Ling in the Openings and Closings thread on this board, I decided to take a little detour from our Saturday shopping to check out Chocoatl in Yaletown. I was going to post in the aforementioned thread but, after my visit, I thought that this fledgling little labor of love deserved its own thread.

The two owners, Dubrulle Culinary Arts school graduates Themis Vegis and Brandon Tam are clearly passionate about chocolate. My wife and I walked in the door and we were received like old friends who had dropped by for a surprise visit. The place just opened and the guys are still in the process of putting it all together. In the coming days, they'll have their drink menu up, pastries, and a wider range of their handmade chocolates. Themis also promised chocolate-making workshops once they were finally settled in (perhaps as early as March).

We had a choice of six specialty hot chocolates. My wife tried and fell in love with the Montezuma, a smooth hot white chocolate drink. I went with a delicious spicy hot chocolate made with five different types of peppers. I don't recall the other choices, but I seem to remember Lavender Chocolate being on the list. We accompanied our hot chocolates with a wonderful assortment of their chocolates - handmade with all-natural ingredients using a variety of high-end chocolate. We tried the white matcha, black matcha, moka cup, and kahlua truffle - all wonderfully complex creations.

The owners love nothing more than to talk about its history and share some of their chocolate-making techniques with their customers. They're just starting out and hoping that word of mouth will bring people in to check them out, so I'm doing my part by mentioning them here. I look forward to swinging by in a week or so once the pastries make an appearance.

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Acting on a tip from Ling in the Openings and Closings thread on this board, I decided to take a little detour from our Saturday shopping to check out Chocoatl in Yaletown.  I was going to post in the aforementioned thread but, after my visit, I thought that this fledgling little labor of love deserved its own thread.     

Don't mean to be a cow, but I believe I was the one who posted the correct name and address of Chocoatl, House of Chocolate.

Yes, thanks Shelora and I'm sure you'll give us the full scoop in print with background details. I finally found the place after a long search-the signage is not up yet, so it blends into the linens store next door. For awhile, I thought someone had played a cruel joke and was sending me to Death by Chocolate. :shock:

Lord B., I believe our paths did cross, and I may have even brushed past the chef Ling spoke of-, then I rounded the corner and ran into Neil--why do I feel I'm in Tales of the City?

The hot chocolates of the day were Lavender, Rose, Spice, White Chocolate Madarin, Hazelnut and "Corn." The chef is Mexican and he said he's not making the corn too thick yet because Vancouverites may not be used to it. I tried the spicy version, which had a rich toasty aroma, with toasted corn flavor and a very long finish. The chili blend is so secret, that only one chef knows the recipe. This is the first time corn in chocolate made sense to me, and I hope you can shed some light on the technique for us, Shelora.

I tried a number of chocolates, but many were filled with white chocolate ganache, which I must admit is too sweet to my taste. (Putting single plantation chocolate around white chocolate ganache seems like a waste to me.) I did like the kaluah truffle, since the liqueur cut the sweetness of the ganache and the toasted almonds gave a nice toasted depth to the chocolate.

The interac isn't working yet, so bring cash if you go, just in case. They are definitely filling a niche here in Vancouver. It's a very exciting little place.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Acting on a tip from Ling in the Openings and Closings thread on this board, I decided to take a little detour from our Saturday shopping to check out Chocoatl in Yaletown.  I was going to post in the aforementioned thread but, after my visit, I thought that this fledgling little labor of love deserved its own thread.     

Don't mean to be a cow, but I believe I was the one who posted the correct name and address of Chocoatl, House of Chocolate.

Sorry, Shelora. My bad. I should have double-checked. Given the fact that I've started thinking of Ling as the Dessert Diva, I automatically attributed the initial post to her.

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

"Lord B., I believe our paths did cross, and I may have even brushed past the chef Ling spoke of-, then I rounded the corner and ran into Neil--why do I feel I'm in Tales of the City?"

Yes, I was there when the chef from Sakana swung by to pick up his hot chocolates. Were you with a friend? Were you the friend with the food critic? My wife and I had the table at the back. I was the one finishing her chocolates.

We are chocolate mad too!. We are heading off there on Monday with Stephen and Helen who just love hot chocolate in the Spanish style. What kind of prices are they charging for hot chocolate and chocolates.

Ralph.

Edited by eatglobally (log)

No culture exists without food and drink

Does anyone have a phone number and their hours? I was wanting to check them out last night but wasn't sure if they'd be open.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I went in today and had the spicy hot chocolate and it was very nice. Not too sweet and with a nice complex spice - not just relying on heat. It was quite drinkable - with a light texture (almost like they started out with low fat milk). I like the lightness as I find I can only take hot chocolate in small doses when it is overly rich.

The owner/operators are youngs guys with alot of passion - finding their way as new business owners and new chocolatiers. Their official opening is apparently still two weeks away. They are still working out some of the details - but it is great to see their enthusiasim.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I just sauntered across the street for a spicy hot chocolate. Met the owner Themis and (shit can't remember the other guys name). Delicious. I got a sip of the white chocolate one too.

They asked how we'd heard about it. So, I mentioned eG. They'd heard of it from other customers too. I wrote the url down, so presumably they'll come and read, and hopefully join.

Two young guys putting it on the line and starting a small little business with a great product. Very cool

M

Stopped by today to welcome them to the neighborhood. All everyone has said here was right on the money -- they are both very enthusiastic about their product, their store ... and I think their very welcoming personalities will be a great fit for the community as well.

They were completely out of the spicy hot chocolate and the kahlua truffles -- sold out today. Themis said they'd made 300 kahluas and they were all sold. He seemed both surprised and proud!

Not being a fan of overly-sweet hot drinks (no sugar in tea or coffee), I had the lavender hot chocolate on their recommendation. It was brilliant. Neither flavor was overpowering ... both were quite subtle and the blend was deliciously smooth ... extremely enjoyable and drinkable. I also got a sampling of chocolates, including dark, dark matcha and the saffron truffle.

I was quite impressed by their enthusiasm, passion and friendliness -- and above all, their product.

(edited to fix typo)

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I keep fantasizing about what kind of pastries these guys are going to make: anything with cajeta would be great--I wonder if you could make cajeta filled croissants? An upscale tres leches cake would have me flagging a cab to Yaletown in a hysterical frenzy--heck, add cajeta on top of a tres leches cake and you would have quatro leches cake. Cajeta ganache in truffles....sigh! :wub:

Yaletowners, put out a news bulletin when the pastries arrive!

--Mae West

I keep fantasizing about what kind of pastries these guys are going to make...

An upscale tres leches cake would have me flagging a cab to Yaletown in a hysterical frenzy...

I realize this if off-topic - but your mention of my favorite Mexican cake brings back fond memories of me and my brothers' first band - Los Tres Leches.

Can you guess which is me - Whole, Condensed or Evaporated? :raz:

Memo

tresleches.jpg

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I realize this if off-topic - but your mention of my favorite Mexican cake brings back fond memories of me and my brothers' first band - Los Tres Leches.

Memo

tresleches.jpg

Makes me think of The Evaporators, one of my favourite all time Western Canada groups. Not related, I am sure. :wink:

-- Matt.

I keep fantasizing about what kind of pastries these guys are going to make...

An upscale tres leches cake would have me flagging a cab to Yaletown in a hysterical frenzy...

Memo

tresleches.jpg

I've always taken you for a breast man.

:cool::cool::cool:

--Mae West

I keep fantasizing about what kind of pastries these guys are going to make: anything with cajeta would be great--I wonder if you could make cajeta filled croissants? An upscale tres leches cake would have me flagging a cab to Yaletown in a hysterical frenzy--heck, add cajeta on top of a tres leches cake and you would have quatro leches cake. Cajeta ganache in truffles....sigh! :wub:

Yaletowners, put out a news bulletin when the pastries arrive!

The cajeta-filled croissant is a great idea. I would do a dark chocolate ganache/cajeta mix. Mmm...what a breakfast!

The 2nd idea--you must be able to read minds. :laugh: I was going to do a tres leches cake next week and replace the dulce de leche with cajeta. :wink:

I'm going to drop by Chocoatl tomorrow and take some pictures of what they have. My friend told me a few days ago that the pastries should be coming any day now...

^I'm sorry, I didn't make it into Chocoatl today! I was stuck on the road leading up to Arthur Laing bridge for AN HOUR today and was going to be late for my cooking class if I went to Yaletown first, as I had planned! I'll make it into Chocoatl on Monday or Tuesday, hopefully! :sad:

(I assuaged the pain with some gingerbread pudding and a couple glasses of wine after my cooking class though. :smile: )

Edited by Ling (log)

Went by today and had a cup of my fave Spicy Chocolate. I tried a new addition to the hot chocolate menu: the "Denso", an incredibly thick and rich creation that, as of an hour ago, is my new fave.

According to Themis, he and his business partner are touched and amazed by the support they have received with some customers coming in from Surrey just to try their hot chocolates.

He also assured me that they'll have pastries on the menu by next week.

After the reviews here I had to stop by Chocoatl when I was up in Vancouver this weekend. Thank you SO much for leading me to this place!

I can only echo how wonderful it was - I've added it to our list of must stops for every trip north - and yes the owner is a delight to talk to, he's SO excited by what he's doing! He loved that we'd already heard about him all the way down in Seattle :biggrin: and that elicited great news for me: he's actively looking to open a second shop here in Seattle!!!

and FYI those pastries are still "coming real soon"

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Helen and I popped in for some hot chocolate yesterday afternoon. Great friendly service and the hot chcoloate is delicious. I went for the white chocolate and Mandarin while Helen opted for the lavender. Both very tasty. One of the owners plied us with samples of the other hot chocolates (all tasty) and mentioned that he is making a Spanish style hot chocolate, like we enjoy in Spain, later this year. He thought Vancouverites were not too keen on drinking hot chocolate with a spoon :smile: and we are still fixated on skim and 2% milk. Great place and we will be back and looking forward to really rich Barcelona style hot chocolate later this year.

Stephen and Helen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I stopped by Chocoatl last night to see whether it lives up to all the hype! And it does! I had a chance to chat with Themis Vegis who is incredibly personable and obviously very enthusiastic and passionate about what he is doing. I wish him all the best with this new enterprise! I had the azteca hot chocolate which was divine and left me with a warm glow for the rest of the evening. My friend had the white hot chocolate with mandarin after discovering that they were out of the hazelnut hot chocolate. I was given a sample of this drink and I thought the mandarin flavouring hit the right subtle note. Vegis assued me that desserts would be coming next week. I tried one of their white chocolate saffron truffles which was quite good, although not nearly as unforgettable as their hot chocolate drinks.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I just finished a spicy. Yum. The denso is too dense, but I wanted a bit more body in the drink, so I asked him for a bit more chocolate. He said "Double shot! Good idea. " It was perfect. He put in about 4 or 5 nibs. Plus it is spicier than it used to be.

So ask for a double shot.

And the saffron truffle is incredible.