• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The foodlover's guide to Amsterdam

Chufi

Thanks Brian for the updates. I had my first dinner at Blauw aan de Wal a couple of weeks ago (after having my eye on it for years),  I thought it was pretty good - the food was simple, not too fussy, high quality ingredients - we also had some good wines by the glass. I also thought that the service was truly excellent, of a standard you don't often find in NL!

I like the Koffie Salon too.

Koffie salon

I can vouch for the Koffie Salon. I am lucky to live next door.

It is funny how much I crave a hamburger here.  I mean really crave them.

I found the best burger in town.

Cafe Bos

Amstelveenseweg 226

Right off tram 12.

Very good, meat and a good understanding of what a good burger is (and perhaps as important) what it is NOT.

Also, they serve fries.

I have decided I will no longer patronize Burgermeister.  Any place that tells me I should not have fries with my burger is not going to get my business (-:

I don't know if someone mentioned it on this thread or on another board (and am too lazy to look) but I remember someone being VERY enthusiastic about the burgers at Cafe Gruter. An America foodie claiming it was the best he/she ever had in Amsterdam..

Might be worth checking that out.. Gruter is a nice bar anyway.

Cafe Gruter

Willemsparkweg 73 (on the south side of Vondelpark)

Klary you once said that if you can read English you can get by reading Dutch, I have so much fun trying to read your blog. There alot of "aha moments", when I actually do understand it.

:smile:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Klary you once said that if you can read English you can get by reading Dutch, I have so much fun trying to read your blog. There alot of "aha moments", when I actually do understand it.

:smile:

tracey

tracey, as a courtesy to my English and American readers I now have many blogposts in English :smile: I'll try and put more restaurant reviewsup!

• 2 weeks later...

What a joy amsterdam in the sun is, and a good excuse to try a few more flavours at the ijscuypje, must say the omas appeltart is quite good and the boeren jongens is not bad either. Noticed that a new burgermeester has opened by the artis so popped in for a good burger with a very good baked potato and a very reasonable price.

Really is weather for eating on the go, we had a great picnic in the Westerpark last week and it seemed half of Amsterdam had the same idea,but there were high spirits all round and a very positive vibe. Will be interesting to see how the city is during vacation as there is normally a mass exodus this weekend, hopefully some more room on the better terrraces, What are peoples favourites?

As I am in the east/centrum I like Plancius for Lunch,Kadijksplein in the afternoon and Studio K in the evening.

Enjoy the sunshine all.

Oh yeah, it will be bliss when all the families with small kids retreat to Italy and the south of France.. and leave the city to us (and the tourists :raz: )

Ever since we moved to the Westerpark area, I've been slow to warm to the Westerpark (I was so very very fond of the Vondelpark), but recently, I like the terrace of the Westergasterras a lot. Friendly service, nice food, it's quiet and relaxed.. perfect for spending a morning in the sun with the paper and coffee.

had a very nice dinner outside at Op de Tuin last week. Portions were a bit small, but everything was tasty, fresh and nicely done and the cheese plate we shared was one of the best I ever had in Amsterdam (with the cheese actually at room temp - something you seldom get here) and a scoop of delicious Epoisses as the star.

• 1 month later...

Wow is so quiet in here.

Recently had dinner at

Casa Peru

http://www.casaperu.nl/html/casaperu.html

Leidsegracht 68 (corner Prinsengracht)

1016 CP Amsterdam

Telephone: 020 - 6203749

E-mail: info@casaperu.nl

Very nice place. The pork shank is to die for, the ceviche was good (not great).

Sorry I am not one to write long reports but I do like to note some of the good (and bad) places.

I will be moving to the Westerpark soon. Any thoughts on that neighborhood?

...but recently, I like the terrace of the Westergasterras  a lot. Friendly service, nice food, it's quiet and relaxed.. perfect for spending a morning in the sun with the paper and coffee.

It's my favorite new place in the buurt as well...

And I can't believe you were having trouble liking Westerpark! Tsk!

DCMark...you're not actually going to be living in the Westerpark, are you? :wink:

Wish I had some (or any) recs...we're so broke at the moment, there's zero eating out being done right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Being from San Francisco, I am always missing mission-style burritos... the perfect no hassle to-go meal.

I've been to the Taco Shop on Tolstraat a couple of times, and while decent, was nowhere close to hitting the mark...

I was recently tipped off by a friend about a place on Overtoom 261 called Tomatillo ... she told me it was "nothing like the Taco Shop" and promised black beans and even Carnitas! No further persuasion necessary!

Even though today was cold and grey, I had a nice warm feeling in my stomach. This place is great! Super friendly guy behind the counter, who I assume is one of the owners ( i didn't ask ).

They have burritos, tostadas, tacos, and salads.... the chicken and pork meat is biologische & free range (and delicious!)-- the black beans are prepared in a vegetarian manner, in case you're not a meat eater. They also have 5 different salsas to choose from -- I had the tomatillo chipotle and J had the pico de gallo ... both were tangy and tasty - everything was super fresh ... and nothing was prepared in a magnetron! (a feat in itself for fast food in Amsterdam).

My only complaint was the cheese -- they use a mixture of cheddar and jong belegen -- if they could just get some monterey jack, it would be perfect -- or even a tangy goat cheese would be great... but other than that, awesome! This totally made my day and I will definitely be going back.

www.tomatillo.nl

Edited by chic geek (log)

That's great to hear...we were talking about going some time back in July or August and then it slipped off the to-do list, mostly because our expectations were low I think. Thanks for posting, I'll drop in as soon as I've recovered from a week of Berlin eating....

• 1 month later...

I was recently tipped off by a friend about a place on Overtoom 261 called Tomatillo ... she told me it was "nothing like the Taco Shop" and promised black beans and even Carnitas! No further persuasion necessary!

Even though today was cold and grey, I had a nice warm feeling in my stomach. This place is great! Super friendly guy behind the counter, who I assume is one of the owners ( i didn't ask ).

They have burritos, tostadas, tacos, and salads.... the chicken and pork meat is biologische & free range (and delicious!)-- the black beans are prepared in a vegetarian manner, in case you're not a meat eater. They also have 5 different salsas to choose from -- I had the tomatillo chipotle and J had the pico de gallo ... both were tangy and tasty - everything was super fresh ... and nothing was prepared in a magnetron! (a feat in itself for fast food in Amsterdam).

My only complaint was the cheese -- they use a mixture of cheddar and jong belegen -- if they could just get some monterey jack, it would be perfect -- or even a tangy goat cheese would be great... but other than that, awesome! This totally made my day and I will definitely be going back.

www.tomatillo.nl

I was there Sunday and really enjoyed it.. seems great for take out, but it's also a nice to eat there. No alcohol, but the lime and pomegranate 'liquado's' they made for us were really good, zingy and fresh.

I had a burrito with carnitas and tomatillo chipotle salsa, my husband had the special which was a chicken and roasted red pepper fajita. I especially enjoyed the black beans in my burrito.

We also shared a tostada with chorizo. They make the chorizo themselves.

Service was really friendly. A very nice, fresh, fast, healthy-feeling dinner

Edited by Chufi (log)

Mark, I did just move to the Westerpark. Love to hear any restaurant recommendations. I am very happy in my new (small) place.

If anyone is having a Thanksgiving feast and they need another solo American who does not want to spend Thanksgiving alone, let me know!!!! (-: My new kitchen is so tiny I can't promise to cook anything but I could bring loads of wine or anything else.

I am clean, presentable and a good conversationalist.

I was there Sunday and really enjoyed it.. seems great for take out, but it's also a nice to eat there. No alcohol, but the lime and pomegranate 'liquado's' they made for us were really good, zingy and fresh.

I had a burrito with carnitas and tomatillo chipotle salsa, my husband had the special which was a chicken and roasted red pepper fajita. I especially enjoyed the black beans in my burrito.

We also shared a tostada with chorizo. They make the chorizo themselves.

Service was really friendly. A very nice, fresh, fast, healthy-feeling dinner

Hi Chufi,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Tomatillo -- we had beers when we were there - they had a few kinds of Mexican beer in the refrigerator (directly behind your back as you are paying) ... we had Negro Modelo .. but I think they also had Corona and Dos Equis :-)

Has anyone tried My Burrito yet? (Kinkerstraat) www.myburrito.nl - I haven't had time to check it out yet, but I'm curious!

I know this is shopping related but since its Amsterdam specific I will try here. Does anyone know a butcher who sells short ribs? I have gone to a few and they give me a black look. I have printed some pictures for future requests.

I know this is shopping related but since its Amsterdam specific I will try here. Does anyone know a butcher who sells short ribs? I have gone to a few and they give me a black look. I have printed some pictures for future requests.

short ribs are not a Dutch cut of meat so they will be very hard to find.. that said, I know Slagerij Zuid in Albert Cuypstraat )if you´re coming from Ferdinand Bol straat - on your left) has something that looks very much like the short ribs I´ve seen in American cookbooks.

Last time I was there (18 months ago maybe?) I was terribly disappointed. It was my second visit to the Jordaan location (I'd been to the Kerkstraat outpost maybe 10 or 12 times from 2002-2006), and...mwah. The food was about half as Mexican as it used to be. They still had cochinita pibil and mole poblano on the menu but it was almost as if they were literally watered down. Also, the bar at the Jordaan version is about 4 stools wide and not very inviting, the Kerkstraat version is probably still good for drinks.

ETA: forgot I'd been to the Jordaan location twice...

Edited by markemorse (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Someone her mentioned Gartine in a previous post. I was there in September and was chatting with the woman who worked there and she said they were putting out a cookbook in Spring, She said all the yummy goodies from their afternoon tea would be in there including their amazing chocolate tart,

• 5 weeks later...

Our last day in the Netherlands ended serendipitously...sons 1 & 2 and I blundered around in the snow looking for something hot to eat near the Amsterdam Centraal station before heading to the airport, and were getting very uninspired when son 2's sensitive gourmet radar spotted De Belhamel. We were very late for lunch, and in retrospect, it's possible that the kitchen was hoping to shut, but if so, they gave no hint of it in their hospitality.

The location really is a big point in the restaurant's attraction - not only is at the junction of two canals, but the side that the restaurant is on is on a slight slope, giving a particularly nice view from our window seat.

The area where we sat, right in front, had higher ceilings than the downstairs and upstairs dining areas, and there was no music, just a quiet and peaceful winter afternoon. Unfortunately, that clear grey afternoon light revealed that the interior could do with a bit of refurbishing, but it is indeed in an art deco style so extravagant as to be almost outre.

We were tired and cold, and didn't want to eat too much before a long plane ride, so we all had the watercress soup, ignoring things like gamba prawns, venison.

The creamy soup was very mildly seasoned, and the flavours of the watercress and cream were gentle but full...the soup was not so rich that it fought with the brie crouton topped with what looked to be mild mustard sprouts. We also enjoyed an entire loaf of toasted walnut bread (this is what happens when you take teen boys to dine), and the boys followed their soup with apple tart, while I had a reviving espresso.

The apple tart was a much happier dessert than the apple tart we sampled in Brussels...pastry was reported to have a good texture, and the apple and raisin filling was sweet but not too sweet!

Our other dining experience in the Netherlands was in Delft, not Amsterdam, but here's quick report anyway:

Kleyweg's Stads-Koffyhuis - a pretty, multi-storey coffeehouse with a relaxed atmosphere and a menu that ranges from "economical treat" on up.

The restaurant was pretty busy, but service was prompt, accurate, and cheerful.

We visited with family, firmly intent on pancakes, so I'm afraid we barely glanced at the other items on the menu. I enjoyed my apple and speck pancake (pancake texture was just right, and the sweet/salty balance was not exaggerated but very pleasant), while my boys not only enjoyed their slightly more "dressed-up" pancake with Biesland beef and vegetables, son 2 scored a free pancake - every 100th pancake (NOT counted on a per-person base, just in case you wondered!) is free.

The Koffyhuis apparently hosts small art exhibitions, but perhaps because we visited between Christmas and New Year, and perhaps because we were busy with family chat, I didn't notice.

• 4 weeks later...