• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The foodlover's guide to Amsterdam

Chufi

btw I love it that the Amsterdam thread is getting some action.. keep the reviews coming people  :smile:

Not a review, but two classic tips for people who haven't been there. Can't imagine, but hey, what can I say.

First, Chez Georges at Herenstraat. It's a French-Belgian place. It looks classic, it is classic. Service good and friendly. Excellent wine list!

Chef cooks with lots of butter and cream, so this a place you would want to avoid if you are one a diet. It's better for comfort food when it's getting cold. Some say it's not original, that the menu never changes, and while that maybe true, I find Chez Georges an unpretencious restaurant where the ingredients are cooked perfect. Always busy, so reserve some time before.

Second, Le Hollandais at Amsteldijk. Simple, robust food, great and affordable wines. I've heard complaints about the interior being to light and modern. I've also heard that some guest find the service lacking attention, focusing on regulars more.

Well, I must disagree.

I like being able to see what's on my plate. End of story.

When we went there the first time, we were constantly offered free small dishes, small tastings of wine. In the end had some excellent, also free, marc de chateau neuf du pape when we had a drink with wait staff and the chef after service. The two women who work the tables really open up if you ask them about wines and the food. I recommend the place highly.

I have been reading every post from this thread! I have been in Amsterdam for one week and will be here through Monday the 18th. Are there any vegetarian-friendly food experiences I should not miss? I want to go to De Kas before we leave. Has anybody been to Betty's? Had pizza at da Portare Via and a delicious vegetarian meal down the street at De Waaghals. Have also been to Golden Temple, Bolhoed, Vliegende Schotel and Abyssinia. My beer-loving boyfriend is with me too so any recommendations on that front would also be much appreciated...

Oh yes and I had an amazing pastry from Holtkamp.

Have bike, will travel!

Hey presentaddress!

Great that you've hit so many spots, would love to hear more about what you thought about the food at all of these places...

have you had a Maoz falafel yet?

you might also try some Indonesian sandwiches at somewhere like Toko Joyce at Nieuwmarkt, they'll have at least one spicy tempeh/tofu option...

Hey presentaddress!

Great that you've hit so many spots, would love to hear more about what you thought about the food at all of these places...

have you had a Maoz falafel yet?

you might also try some Indonesian sandwiches at somewhere like Toko Joyce at Nieuwmarkt, they'll have at least one spicy tempeh/tofu option...

Hi! We did go to Maoz. I like that you can stuff in as much of the salads as you want, in fact I probably added too much and it all got a bit too confusing to my stomach. It tasted good though! Spicy tempeh sounds great, that is going on my list.

Mini reviews:

De Waaghals- Nice people, cute space. Had the De Waaghals Classic (from their website):

daube d’aubergine (with red wine, portobello and tomato)

camembert beignet

creamy rice with herbs

courgette from the oven with almonds

french onion bread 17,90

Interesting blend of taste and textures, satisfying. The portobello (strong, almost smoky flavor balanced well with the blandness of the creamy rice) and stuffed squash (almost tasted of marzipan!) were the highlights.

Golden Temple- Indian Thali Plate. Fresh, clean food, not overly salted or spiced so the flavors were more subtle, kind of sneaks up on you how good it tastes...

Bolhoed- Went here two months ago on the last trip. We got the daily special. We now call it "the place where we got the most food we have ever eaten". Go hungry! Organic chocolate tofu pie for dessert.

Vliegende Schotel- The daily special here also. It was perfectly cooked brown rice and a lentil and vegetable stew. My boyfriend loves this place. Simple, hearty vegetarian food. The dal was really good, tasted of fennel. A meal you might make at home if you didn't tend to over or under cook your brown rice all the time...(who me?) Organic bottled beer.

Abyssinia- Thanks to a recommendation that you (markemorse) had given. First time eating with my hands. Felt like I was doing something wrong! Had the combination of four vegetarian dishes. More yummy lentils. Probably ate too much enjera trying to get all the food in my mouth. The pumpkin (doeba) was the highlight. Had coconut beer which was pretty sweet but very interesting.

I'm sure I am forgetting something...

Editing to include da Portare Via- Had the vegetarian pizza (of course). Made it there just before closing and they whipped one up for us. We asked them to go easy on the cheese. Fresh with good quality ingredients. Had Yam-Yam on the last trip and want to go back when they are back from vacation. I love pizza.

P.S.

Creakily- nice work!

Edited by presentaddress (log)

I have been reading every post from this thread! I have been in Amsterdam for one week and will be here through Monday the 18th. Are there any vegetarian-friendly food experiences I should not miss? I want to go to De Kas before we leave. Has anybody been to Betty's? Had pizza at da Portare Via and a delicious vegetarian meal  down the street at De Waaghals. Have also been to Golden Temple, Bolhoed, Vliegende Schotel and Abyssinia. My beer-loving boyfriend is with me too so any recommendations on that front would also be much appreciated...

Oh yes and I had an amazing pastry from Holtkamp.

Have bike, will travel!

For beer go to Brouwerij 't IJ:

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/eng/index.html

Fantastic place. Open every day from 15.00 til 20.00. All the beers are organic and home brewed.

I second the recommendation for brouwerij 't IJ..

for late night beer drinking, In de Wildeman

or Gollem are both really nice. Lots of beers on tap and nice bartenders who will give you samples until you find a beer you like!

We really like Gollem and the Brouwerij 't IJ beers but have not yet been to the brewery/pub. In de Wildeman and De Zotte both sound perfect. I would like to try some Genever too.

In de Wildeman has a nice selection of jenever and Korenwijn.

Also try Proeflokaal Wynand Fockink for their jenevers and liqueurs

Also, it's not jenever, but somehow jenever makes me think of whisky :laugh: ... should you have a craving for whisk(e)y, check out the famous whisky cafe L&B on the Korte Leidse Dwarsstraat 82 (near Leidseplein), they have (I think..) more than a 1000 whiskys to choose from...

Edited by Chufi (log)

Had a good beer at De Zotte yesterday because it is near us.

Tonight a strange and disappointing second visit to da Portare Via (we won't be back!).

Hard to fit stuff in because we have been working late. Thank you everybody for your suggestions, hopefully we can have the weekend off!

I've been to Ciel Bleu about a month ago, and you could clearly see why Onno Kokmeijer is currently being regarded as the culinary prince of Amsterdam.

Fantastic, elegant dishes, like three preparations of lobster (one with mango atjar, one with a granadilla tartare and oyser, and a canneloni with lobster and garlic croutons) or langoustines with porc belly, peppadews, ginger and white beer. It must be said, he was being assisted by Margot Janse that week. The place has a warm atmosphere and attentive staff, which was almost un-Amsterdam-like. The wine list is too expensive though.

Other favorites of mine are Chang-I, ENVY and Visaandeschelde, and I still have to check out Sophia as well.

However, I tend to go to Ouderkerk aan de Amstel rather than Amsterdam when I'm in the area.

Maurice van Bussel

www.Knoopjelos.nl

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately my first post will be a negative one. I must beg of you to avoid Cafe George on the Leidsegracht. My wife and I had one of the worst meals we have ever had in Europe there.

Its a lovely looking cafe with tile floor and walls, giving it the look of an NYC subway station.

The first problem: when we sat down (1 PM) we saw the chef come out from the kitchen, sit down with a friend and never returned to the kitchen. As the orders backed up, she never seemed interested in helping her sou-chef.

Service: sllllloooooow. The waitresses seemed to be more interested in posing rather than working.

Food: My wife (sadly) is a vegetarian. So she ordered the tuna sandwhich. What came out had bacon between every slice of bread. I like to tease vegetarians as much as the next meat eater, but to but bacon on a tuna sandwhich (without identifying it) is just rude to vegetarians, muslims and jews.

With the place trying to look like a French bistro, I expected the steak frites (16 euros) to be decent. I was served the most disgusting peice of shoe leather I have ever seen. This meat would make a 'minute steak' look like a rib-eye. It was centemeters thick, with a hole in the middle. It looked like some sort of animal had chewed through it. I ordered it rare but there was no way to serve this meat rare without throwing it uncooked on my plate.

The only edible part of the meal: the curly fries which reminded me of Hardee's in the US.

You have been warned.

Edited by DCMark (log)

That sucks. I will share some general Amsterdam dining advice that I just posted somewhere else a few weeks ago:

"In general, do your best to avoid eating within 100 yards of a museum, a concert venue, or Leidseplein, Rembrandtplein, Centraal Station, the Red Light district, Dam Square, the Damrak, or Kalverstraat. Maybe even 200 yards is safer. There is good food to be had here at reasonable prices, but you MUST make an effort to avoid tourists, Argentinian steakhouses, anything that says it's "mexican", the 400 non-Italian pizza places in town, and fancy-looking noodle shops."

There are exceptions to this of course, but search for them at your own risk.... :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Food: My wife (sadly) is a vegetarian.  So she ordered the tuna sandwhich.  What came out had bacon between every slice of bread.  I like to tease vegetarians as much as the next meat eater, but to but bacon on a tuna sandwhich (without identifying it) is just rude to vegetarians, muslims and jews.

I'm not an absolute expert on food...but I'm pretty sure tuna is not a vegetable. :wink::biggrin:

As a jew, I don't really think it's rude, as you don't expect kosher food in a non-kosher restaurant. Same with Muslims and Halal.

Therefore, I don't think this particular bit is too valid.

However, the rest of what you say makes me want to run from this place...typical tourist trap...if you want a french bistro in a touristy area, that actually has decent food, I can suggest Luden on Spuistraat, they have an excellent fish soup, which perhaps your 'vegetarian' wife might like.

Edited by Fat Steve (log)

The best choice for vegetarians in Amsterdam is Marius. It's a very small restaurant in Amsterdam west. The chef/owner worked years by Chez Panisse in Berkeley. He is really great with vegetables and fish.

For lunch there is just one perfect place, Gartine. It's in the Taksteeg, very close to the Spui. It's in the slowfood tradition. Almost everything is made by themselves. From excellent pies to quiche. The vegetables are coming from their own vegetable garden and they are delicious! It's small and almost always fully booked. I advise you to call them 0031203204132 It's not expensive.

The best choice for vegetarians in Amsterdam is Marius. It's a very small restaurant in Amsterdam west. The chef/owner worked years by Chez Panisse in Berkeley. He is really great with vegetables and fish.

For lunch there is just one perfect place, Gartine. It's in the Taksteeg, very close to the Spui. It's in the slowfood tradition. Almost everything is made by themselves. From excellent pies to quiche. The vegetables are coming from their own vegetable garden and they are delicious! It's small and almost always fully booked. I advise you to call them 0031203204132 It's not expensive.

Hi Sven, welcome to the thread...thanks for reminding me that, although Chufi and I went to Marius last year, I don't think our review ever made it to this thread, it ended up in my eG foodblog instead.

In short, I haven't had a better or more comfortable sit-down meal in Amsterdam than Marius, and I'll happily go back in a second. And Chufi is a Gartine fan too, her review is somewhere upthread....so, nice picks!

+++

Edited by markemorse (log)

re: vegetarian options in Amsterdam:

I´ve heard good things about Betty´s.

On a completely different note :wink:Burgermeester opened on a second location in the center, Elandsgracht 130, which might be a more convenient location for tourists.

I recently had a very good, interesting and creative dinner at Tjing Tjing, a South African restaurant (the only one in Amsterdam, I think, since Pygmalion closed). All the meat was delicious (kudu, ostrich, springbok), my starter (eggroll with a creamy biltong ragout) unlike anything I ever tasted, and the milktart for dessert was terrific. Great South African wines to drink, too.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I spent the weekend in Amsterdam: sorry I did not email Chufi or Markemorse who seem to be active with egulleteers going to this city.

Enjoyed both the Noordermarket and Albert (sp?) enjoying a nice selection of local and imported products.

First dinner was at De Kas. A very beautiful room and a kitchen that tries to focus on local and self produced/procured produce and ingredients. Food was good but not memorable, suffering in part by the fact that the room is quite large and it is hard to take dining to the next level with what looked to be around 200 seats. However, the room was stunning, a glasshouse in a green area a short distance from central Amsterdam. It was also well priced at around 48E.

Second dinner was at Ciel Blue. I wish I had met the Chef before dinner because by the time we finished at 11, he had left. Food was well thought out with very developed flavor and texture profiles. Chef used a good tool kit of both old and new techniques to create a very enjoyable meal (I had the full tasting, my wihe had a small seasonal tasting, with no dishes being common to both menus).Wines were very pricy but a good selection of new and old world wine. Very deserving of two stars.

Hello all.

We will be in Amsterdam weekend after next, 18th - 20th, so my crazy husband can run the Marathon. We're staying somewhere nondescript out by the Olympic Stadium, and for Saturday dinner will probably go to the 4 Stagioni nearby so he can load up on carbs. My problem is Sunday dinner. All the recommended modern Dutch places close (sensibly) on Sunday and the only places which seem to be open are tourist-y. I can't find anywhere that an e-gulletter would rate and which is also prepared to open its kitchens on a Sunday evening.

Any suggestions?

Failing that, anywhere less high end but reliable we can relax in on Sunday, and then go for an interesting lunch on Monday? Again, seems like lunch isn't something Amsterdam chefs do very much of and certainly not on Mondays.

Heeeelp! I don't want to end up munching scalding bitter ballen in a grungy bar like we did last time we were in town and our plane arrived late.

Sarah

Sarah

Hello all.

We will be in Amsterdam weekend after next, 18th - 20th, so my crazy husband can run the Marathon. We're staying somewhere nondescript out by the Olympic Stadium, and for Saturday dinner will probably go to the 4 Stagioni nearby so he can load up on carbs. My problem is Sunday dinner. All the recommended modern Dutch places close (sensibly) on Sunday and the only places which seem to be open are tourist-y. I can't find anywhere that an e-gulletter would rate and which is also prepared to open its kitchens on a Sunday evening.

Any suggestions?

Failing that, anywhere less high end but reliable we can relax in on Sunday, and then go for an interesting lunch on Monday? Again, seems like lunch isn't something Amsterdam chefs do very much of and certainly not on Mondays.

Heeeelp! I don't want to end up munching scalding bitter ballen in a grungy bar like we did last time we were in town and our plane arrived late.

Sarah

hey sarah,

For modern Dutch, Greetje, mentioned several times upthread, is open on Sunday. I think Chufi ate there quite recently if memory serves, and said that the food was still good and that service had improved a bit.

Also, De Zotte, mentioned many times upthread is open on Sunday as well.

In the hood where you're staying (at least I think so), Takara gets good reviews for informal Japanese/Korean food. I think I've actually eaten there and the food was good.

I'll keep thinking...

Edited by markemorse (log)

Hello all.

Any suggestions?

Sarah

Sarah: I´ll try to think of some recommendations for your questions later, but when I read you´re staying near the Olympic Stadium I just had to alert you to what many people think is the very best bakery in Amsterdam:

le Fournil de Sebastien, Olympiaplein 119.

He is a French baker married to a Dutch girl, they put a lot of passion into this business. Their bread is fabulous and their pastries are very very hard to resist even if you only walked in for a baguette.

Hello all.

Any suggestions?

Visaandeschelde might be an option for you, it's not too far from the area you're staying in and they're open for dinner on Sunday. It's been years since I've been there but I've been hearing good things lately.

click

At the high end of high end, Michelin starred (2 stars) Ciel Bleu is also open for dinner on Sunday.

as for lunch on Monday: you're right, Dutch lunch mostly sonsists of sandwiches/eggdishes etc.

The College Hotel does lunch on Monday.. it's supposed to be modern Dutch cuisine, I've never been.

Otherwise, head to Van Dobben for the most informal, quintessential Dutch lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so we'll be visiting Amsterdam later this week (and meeting up with Chufi, which we're really, really looking forward to!) and I wanted to get some input on our short list thus far:

Paso Doble

Marius

De Kas

Japanese Pancake World (sounded like a good time -- worth it?)

A Tavola

Toscanini

Van Vlaanderen

Le Fournil

Any places that specialize in sweets (i.e. tarts, etc)? What about good, stinky French cheese? Anything we're missing? Thanks!