• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Spotlight Forum Conversation with Spiro Baltas

Fat Guy

Hi Chris,

The thing I notice when I dine out is cleanliness, which is a big deal for me. I believe the appearance of a restaurant translates into how well maintained it is and if after years of being open, I like to see if they are still taking the same care in their overall appearance. I also like to watch what is going on with the staff during down time. I observe how the waiters, cooks, etc conduct themselves; I look to see if they are joking around, of if are they taking their job seriously.

The easiest thing to fix in many restaurants is that too many establishments focus on just the food and not the overall experience. Focus should also be placed on the ambience, the music, and the lighting (but of course not at the expense of the food). These things can be changed easily by ensuring the right music is playing at the right level, the host or hostess is friendly and accommodating and so on. These elements lend themselves to the diners experience and all contribute to the impression they take away with them at the end of the meal.

Hi Spiro! Thanks for participating in this great conversation with all of us.

I run a school and know that, when I walk into another school, I can see things that most people don't see. As a successful restauranteur, can you tell us a bit about what you see when you walk into another restaurant that we might not notice? What stands out to you? What peeves do you have? Is there anything easy to fix that nearly everyone out there does wrong? :wink:

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hey Steve,

You are absolutely right; salads are a big part of our business – they constitute about 40% of our sales.

Many people choose salads as a lighter alternative to sandwiches. As I said earlier, a great sandwich starts with bread. For a salad, it’s the greens. Crisp, fresh, flavorful greens lay the foundation for hearty and delicious salad. Salads are often a popular because people feel they are better able to monitor what they eat better because the bulk of it is crisp veggies. However, for a salad to satisfy and satiate, you need to add proteins like meats, fish, cheese and tofu.

Spiro, we've talked a lot about sandwiches. But you're indicating that salads are also a big part of your sales and your corporate philosophy. What interesting tidbits can you tell us about salads? Is a salad just a sandwich without the bread? Can you get bacon in a salad? How about slab bacon? That's really good.

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

The below numbers should read 1,200 to 4,000 sq ft. The measurement of our Wall Street store is 1,600 sq ft. and this is the size we are going to keep moving forward.

Sorry for the confusion!

Hi Megan,

As of right now we do not have any plans for story hours but we are always open to suggestions. 

All of our stores vary in size, anywhere from 4,000 sq ft to 12,000 sq ft.  Right now we are really happy with the layout of our Wall Street location, which is 16,000 sq ft.  After experimenting with lots of different sizes the 16,000 sq ft allow for a lot of foot as well as stroller traffic.  The larger locations also will allow for more leisurely lunches and will accommodate those who want to work through lunch on their laptops. 

Hi Spiro,

Just went to the Starwich web site and saw that one of the new locations in NYC will be on the Upper West Side.   I am really excited to have a Starwich in my neighborhood.  Where will it be located?

Also, I work in the Union Square area.  Since 'wichcraft closed my sandwich choices have pretty much been limited to coffee shops.  I know the area is way high rent, but I'd love to be able to get a starwich for lunch.

Hey, Spiro!

Like Mike, I'm excited to be getting a Starwich in my neighborhood (UES) in the (near?) future. I have a question to add to his - will the uptown joints differ in any way from the ambience you've worked to create further downtown?

As you know, the UES is pretty residential, and I would imagine that most of your weekday traffic would be stay-at-home parents with kids in tow and self-employed, freelancer types (much like what I already find at, say, DTUT on 2nd Avenue). In light of this, do you have any plans to tweak the design of the shops to accomodate a higher volume of stroller traffic and loads of laptops? Any plans for mid-afternoon story hour type activities?

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

I don't remember you from my geometry class but it looks like we may have gone to the same school :wink: I was trying to figure out who could afford those staggering amounts of square footage in Manhattan!

Sometimes, particularly in winter, I really want warm food versus cold. I know you toast the breads for all of your sandwiches, but do you have a way to accomodate requests for, say a croque monsieur or madame? Or a pannini-type sandwich? The grilled cheese implies that the equipment is there to accomplish it but I'm not clear on where the line is drawn between toasting and grilling.

I'm sure, given the focus on service and overall experience, you staff will try to accomodate just about anything. Are there any notable requests that you've had to say 'no' to?

I hope you've not addressed these already and I've just missed it. As always with eG, life occasionally gets in the way and I fall behind. :shock:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Hi Karen,

I agree, the rising cost of packaging is quite a challenge. We’re always on the look out for an affordable and environmentally sound ways to wrap our sandwiches and salads. It’s a continuous battle to get better pricing. At this point we try to lock in purveyors by buying larger quantities which always helps with cost.

HI Spiro!

I run a small upscale gourmet/sandwich shop in Nothern Michigan.  I was wondering what type of packaging you use for your sandwiches and salads and how you have coped with the rising costs of packaging, in particular plastic packaging?  Thanks

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hello!

All of our sandwiches are toasted and are served warm. There are certain things we do that are seasonal items such as soups in the wintertime which help satisfy those looking for something hot.

We get different requests daily for new and inventive sandwiches and salads, and our goal is to accommodate every request. Since we encourage our guests to create their own sandwiches and salads, our staff is prepared to fulfill almost all the requests that come in. Certainly a Croque Monsieur or Madame is something we could happily do.

I don't remember you from my geometry class but it looks like we may have gone to the same school :wink: I was trying to figure out who could afford those staggering amounts of square footage in Manhattan!

Sometimes, particularly in winter, I really want warm food versus cold.  I know you toast the breads for all of your sandwiches, but do you have a way to accomodate requests for, say a croque monsieur or madame?  Or a pannini-type sandwich?  The grilled cheese implies that the equipment is there to accomplish it but I'm not clear on where the line is drawn between toasting and grilling.

I'm sure, given the focus on service and overall experience, you staff will try to accomodate just about anything.  Are there any notable requests that you've had to say 'no' to?

I hope you've not addressed these already and I've just missed it.  As always with eG, life occasionally gets in the way and I fall behind. :shock:

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hi Spiro, thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions. I have taken some food management course and i was curous about the economics of a place such as your own. I am not sure if we are covering these topics in this spotlight, and if we are not, I apologize in advance for asking.

How large a percentage of space needs to be set aside for food prep/storage? Is each location contacting and purchasing from their own pruveyours and in essence, acting in their own silo, or is order done as a group?

Also, what are the food costs like for a establishment similiar to Starwich? How different are they from food cost in a restaurant or even from some of the hotel dining that you have been involved in?

thanks.

Spiro thanks for being here. I was curious about the airport to-go concept that was touched on in the foodcast. I currently end up spending 8-9 dollars on Nathans at LGD, would you be able to keep the same price points you currently have or is the airport rent going to force you to raise prices? Or is it not rent but the fact that the current airport vendors know they have a "captive" customer base that causes higher prices? Would you be using the same to-go bags currently in use at airports? Basically I am just curious as to your overall thoughts on the airport and to-go concept i.e. the logistis of working out of an airport as opposed to a stand alone shop.

Thanks

Mr. Baltas,

There's been a lot of chat about super-premium sandwiches and the higher prices which, naturally, accompany them. Still, I think $9 (mentioned in our banners this week) is a good price for a top-quality sandwich. If fact, that price almost seems too low to me.

Can Starwich actually make a go of it charging only $9 per sandwich?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Hi Allister,

One key to having a multi-unit operation is to have centralized purchasing to track and control costs. We set aside between 20-25% of each store for storage and prep. We have a separate facility where we can order bulk amounts of certain supplies (such as paper goods) that can be stored in a central location.

Because we buy very-high quality ingredients, and lots of organic ingredients, we’re a little higher in food costs than your typical QSR. However, they aren’t as high as a restaurant or hotel.

Hi Spiro,  thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions.  I have taken some food management course and i was curous about the economics of a place such as your own.  I am not sure if we are covering these topics in this spotlight, and if we are not, I apologize in advance for asking.

How large a percentage of space needs to be set aside for food prep/storage?  Is each location contacting and purchasing from their own pruveyours and in essence, acting in their own silo, or is order done as a group?

Also, what are the food costs like for a establishment similiar to Starwich?  How different are they from food cost in a restaurant or even from some of the hotel dining that you have been involved in?

thanks.

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hi Ron,

We feel our pricing is generous for the quality that our customers receive. We’re very competitive with restaurants that charge a similar price but don’t serve as high-quality a product. We’re very satisfied with our growth and the consumer response. I think the growth proves that we can make a go of it charging only $8.95.

Mr. Baltas,

There's been a lot of chat about super-premium sandwiches and the higher prices which, naturally, accompany them.  Still, I think $9 (mentioned in our banners this week) is a good price for a top-quality sandwich.  If fact, that price almost seems too low to me.

Can Starwich actually make a go of it charging only $9 per sandwich?

=R=

Edited by sandwichking (log)

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Hi Matthew,

We’re very excited to be a part of the new airline food trend that’s growing. Currently as many of you know, most national flights don’t offer food, and the food options at

airports haven’t grown with the trend of how people are eating. People are eating better and paying more attention to what they eat. As a result, higher-quality restaurant chains have started to pop up, but airport food options haven’t changed with the times. I’ve been in lots of airports where you can’t find a quality meal. If you’re like me, you either get some fruit, fly home hungry, or get something that you’re not completely satisfied with. Starwich will fill that void for travelers who want to eat healthy, quality food on board or in the airport.

Currently, we don’t plan to increase pricing at airports. It’ll remain the same as at our retail outlets.

Spiro thanks for being here. I was curious about the airport to-go concept that was touched on in the foodcast. I currently end up spending 8-9 dollars on Nathans at LGD, would you be able to keep the same price points you currently have or is the airport rent going to force you to raise prices? Or is it not rent but the fact that the current airport vendors know they have a "captive" customer base that causes higher prices? Would you be using the same to-go bags currently in use at airports? Basically I am just curious as to your overall thoughts on the airport and to-go concept i.e. the logistis of working out of an airport as opposed to a stand alone shop.

Thanks

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

This is the last day to participate in this eG Spotlight Forum Conversation with Spiro Baltas. Please make your final posts by 3pm EST today, after which we'll ask for no further posts (except from Spiro, of course).

Also, by 3pm EST today, send me a PM if you wish to be in on the free sandwich/salad coupon drawing!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Currently, we don’t plan to increase pricing at airports.  It’ll remain the same as at our retail outlets.

Woo-hoo!!! That's good news, indeed.

Any plans to expand to LGA or JFK? Those are my usual ports of call, so I sure hope so!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

No plans yet for JFK or LGA; hopefully soon, the problem with places like JFK and LGA is that spaces rarely become available...or at least good ones.

Currently, we don’t plan to increase pricing at airports.  It’ll remain the same as at our retail outlets.

Woo-hoo!!! That's good news, indeed.

Any plans to expand to LGA or JFK? Those are my usual ports of call, so I sure hope so!

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

Let me sneak a question in real quick. I was curious how do the supplements sell I.E. the Wagyu, Truffle, Filet, etc... are there any plans to introduce any other lux ingredients I am thinking of some sort of Foie sandwich with a fruit preserve maybe.

As you can probably figure out, we have a lot of foodies that come in to Starwich and usually target these lux ingredients. Overall, however, these ingredients tend to do very well with foodies and non-foodies as well. For instance, I was really surprised on the amount of truffles we sold last month. Many of the people coming had never had truffles before and wanted to try them for the first time. Plenty of these customers had never had an outlet available to them to try such items, but at Starwich we have become that outlet for them.

I think we will always continue to introduce new lux ingredients to our guests. On a side note we have had a Foie sandwich in the past that sold exceptionally well.

Let me sneak a question in real quick. I was curious how do the supplements sell I.E. the Wagyu, Truffle, Filet, etc... are there any plans to introduce any other lux ingredients  I am thinking of some sort of Foie sandwich with a fruit preserve maybe.

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com

On behalf of the eGullet Society, thank you Spiro for your participation in this conversation! We hope you'll keep reading and posting around the forums, and thanks also for the sandwich/salad coupons. We'll notify the winners of those soon.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thank you very much for having me on, it’s been my pleasure. I look forward to reading, answering questions and being part of future conversations on e-gullet.

On behalf of the eGullet Society, thank you Spiro for your participation in this conversation! We hope you'll keep reading and posting around the forums, and thanks also for the sandwich/salad coupons. We'll notify the winners of those soon.

Spiro Baltas

CEO, Starwich Inc.

www.Starwich.com