• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Book and the Cook 2006

KatieLoeb

Check it out y'all! The Book and the Cook is back and there are some great events this year.

This thread is for discussion of the festival and events, but not for event planning/get togethers. If folks would like to get together for one or more of these events please contact Holly or myself via PM, or make a reservation and post it in the pinned ISO thread at the top of this forum, OK??

So who's going where? Which events look interesting to you and why?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Book and Cook Dinner with authors Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid

featuring menu from recent release: Mangoes and Curry Leaves

other books include Hot Sour Salty Sweet and Seductions of Rice

London Grill

Philadelphia

Saturday, March 25th

free informal Q&A round table with authors Friday, March 24th at 6:00

for more info go to htpp://www.londongrill.com

Paula Wolfert : The Cooking of Southwest France

LONDON GRILL

Tuesday, March 21st

go to htpp://www.londongrill.com

She knows her stuff, I've tried a few of her recipes in her latest cookbook and they came out great. This is one of my favorite cuisines. I'm going to try to get there for this but midweek is tough.

I'm still waiting to see if my Golden Age of Beer in Philadelphia Tours will get included on the website. So far, no show, no explanation, either. I should raise heck, I tell ya. Heck!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 2 weeks later...

I take that back, as they have finally posted details of our 10th Anniversary Tours.

Hallelujah! I was starting to get worried, as seats have been selling slowly this year......

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I will be attending The Book & The Cooks John Ash event 333 Belrose. If anyone is in the burbs and feels like saying "hi"...let me know.

I'll be saying "hi"

Hi.

LOL

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Katie and I checked out a sneak-peek at some of the upcoming Book and the Cook events, by attending the "A Taste of The Book and the Cook" at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza ballroom. Many of the participating restaurants offered tastes of a dish by the authors that would be appearing at their restaurants. We'll add details, but for now, here's a glance:

The "Peachy Queen" from Astral Plane

gallery_23992_2642_99116.jpg

The Bonsai Martini from Buddkan

gallery_23992_2642_36804.jpg

Sorry, I hate to say it, this tasted like vodka, sugar and a good dash of Dawn dish detergent. Bleahhcch. I'm totally OK with the concept of Cilantro in a cocktail. But this aint the one...

My photo of the winner of the cocktail contest didn't really look that great, but that drink: the Italian Ice Martini from Washington Square was actually quite good, in a summery-patio-lounging kind of way. Just watch out for the brain freeze.

Good mini crabcakes from Abbraccio, based on a recipe by Deanna Segrave-Daly

gallery_23992_2642_46067.jpg

Excellent fried dumplings from Yangming based on a recipe by Grace Young

gallery_23992_2642_47600.jpg

Nice, sticky-sweet ribs from the Museum Restaurant, based on a recipe by Susan Spungen

gallery_23992_2642_49673.jpg

A delicious Cauliflower Soup from Opportunities Inn,

gallery_23992_2642_33445.jpg

Stewed Pork, Sushi Rice and fried Lotus Root from Margaret Kuo based on a recipe by Elizabeth Andoh

gallery_23992_2642_43280.jpg

This might have been the best dish at this event: tender pork in a slightly sweet sauce, seasoned rice and a crispy lotus root chip seasoned with green tea powder.

Margaret Kuo, her own regal, yet friendly self...

gallery_23992_2642_27685.jpg

Dolmades, from the Restaurant School based on a recipe by Barbara Kafka

gallery_23992_2642_73274.jpg

The prizewinner of the night for best dish, a Thai salad from Fork based on a recipe by Patricia Yeo (and it was indeed quite tasty)

gallery_23992_2642_33654.jpg

Tuna Sashimi salad from the Grill at the Ritz Carlton, based on a recipe by Brian Streeter, from the Cakebread Cellars Cookbook.

gallery_23992_2642_14863.jpg

gallery_23992_2642_32883.jpg

Cookies from Penne, based on recipes from Nick Malgieri

gallery_23992_2642_23678.jpg

There were a few other good offerings: Joe Poon's Teriyaki Chicken, as interpreted by the chefs at George's; Ted Allen's Pulled Pork, as made by Washington Square; and Dave Lieberman's Veal Stew, as rendered by Twenty21...

it certainly got me a little more interested in checking out some of these events....

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I'm in agreement with Philadining on most everything. I thought all of the cocktails were too sweet and the Washington Square entry was certainly the best of the bunch. But where was I when the invitations to create a recipe and enter the contest went out?? I heard about this too late. I'll have to check with my contacts and make sure they have my e-mail for future events.

And big surprise. The porky things were our favorites! :biggrin: That dish from Margaret Kuo's was delicious in every way and the lotus chips with green tea dip garnish was as lovely as it was tasty. Cauliflower soup was a big hit too.

This event was obviously a big PR lead-in for B&tC but there was a good sampling of participating restaurants on site and lots of good eats to be had. Unfortunately, several places ran out of food quickly - before the event was over, so getting there early and often is crucial, I think.

I'm attending the Paula Wolfert dinner and the Cocktails event with David Wondrich at Red Sky. The dinner with Ted Allen at Washington Square is also intriguing. Anybody else going to these or other events?

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm attending the Paula Wolfert dinner and the Cocktails event with David Wondrich at Red Sky.  The dinner with Ted Allen at Washington Square is also intriguing.  Anybody else going to these or other events?

I am going to Brian Streeter's Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cookbook dinner.

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

I'm attending the Paula Wolfert dinner and the Cocktails event with David Wondrich at Red Sky.  The dinner with Ted Allen at Washington Square is also intriguing.  Anybody else going to these or other events?

I am going to Brian Streeter's Cakebread Cellars Napa Valley Cookbook dinner.

Evan

If that sashimi grade tuna Philadining and I tried is any indication of what your dinner will be like, you should be quite pleased.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

i hope i'm not breaking the rules by saying that i'm going to the wolfert dinner, and wish i could go to the mangoes and curry leaves dinner, but i'll be out of town.

the one that really intrigues me is the growing up in a korean kitchen dinner.

I'm going to the Terrance Brennan event at Brasserie Perrier, the DeGustibus (Sailhac) event at Le Bec Fin, and the Max McCalman event (Cheese!) at Fork.

I'm probably going to need an angioplasty afterward.

I had the pleasure of hosting DisCanto, five talented musicians from Abruzzo, at a concert at my home last night. Then I learned that the Italian term for jam session is "jam session," which lasted until 1.

They will be performing next Saturday afternoon (March 18) at Tastes of the Avenue on Passyunk and again at Giuliano Hazan's How to Cook Italian dinner at Davio's on March 26th.

I'm planning to make the former, for sure!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I'm attempting to attend the Michael Jackson dinner at the Penn Museum on 3/17 (the night before my first of two Beer Tours--oy!), Roberto Donna at Panorma and David Wondrich at Red Sky. I might just survive TBATC this year.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...

Report on David Wondrich Cocktail event at Red Sky right HERE

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 10 months later...

I have heard several rumors of TBATC moving to the Fall this year, with no details as of yet. Not great news, but better than an outright cancellation. I would imagine that a lot of this has to do with sourcing a venue for the TBATC Fair, which is the cash cow of the festival. With the demolition of the Ft Washington Convention Center and with precious few viable venues remaining, my guess is that is what they are buying time to decide.

Well, that and finding chefs and cookbook authors willing to travel to Philly this Fall. They lost a considerable amount of chefs and authors to a huge event in Miami this month.

As the host of an annual event during TBATC, I have not been told anything yet by the organizers, so I am just speculating.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I have heard several rumors of TBATC moving to the Fall this year, with no details as of yet.  Not great news, but better than an outright cancellation.  I would imagine that a lot of this has to do with sourcing a venue for the TBATC Fair, which is the cash cow of the festival.  With the demolition of the Ft Washington Convention Center and with precious few viable venues remaining, my guess is that is what they are buying time to decide. 

Well, that and finding chefs and cookbook authors willing to travel to Philly this Fall.  They lost a considerable amount of chefs and authors to a huge event in Miami this month.

As the host of an annual event during TBATC, I have not been told anything yet by the organizers, so I am just speculating.

You should have started a new thread -- I got all excited and printed out the list of restaurants and started to try to make reservations at our first choice and was very disappointed when they told me I was making a mistake!