• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shirataki in New York

FoodMuse

Hey folks,

First time posting to eGullet, so if this post belongs in another forum please let me know.

I'm trying to find Shirataki noodles in Manhattan. Anyone come across these slippery noodles in your travels? I'm hoping to find the dry verstion so I can stock up.

thanks,

muse

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Hey folks,

First time posting to eGullet, so if this post belongs in another forum please let me know.

I'm trying to find Shirataki noodles in Manhattan. Anyone come across these slippery noodles in your travels? I'm hoping to find the dry verstion so I can stock up.

thanks,

muse

I think I saw it in Jas Mart and Sunrise Market.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Thanks for the replies.

I've been looking for an excuse to visit this Mitsuwa market. I moved here from Los Angeles(where I had a Mitsuwa 5 minutes away) and I'm still scoping out my local markets.

The shuttle is still running from Post Authority. I couldn't find the price, but I think someone told me you pay $2.50 cash to the driver.

A Mitsuwa Shuttle Bus leaves 15 minutes past each hour from Platform #51 in the Port Authority Bus Terminal (on Eighth Avenue between 40th and 42nd streets) for the half-hour ride.

Mitsuwa Timetable

www.fearlesscooking.tv

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I don't have any further suggestions but just want to welcome you to the eGullet Society and reassure you that questions about where to get any type of foodstuff or piece of cooking equipment in New York are appropriate in this forum.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks for the replies.

I've been looking for an excuse to visit this Mitsuwa market. I moved here from Los Angeles(where I had a Mitsuwa 5 minutes away) and I'm still scoping out my local markets.

The shuttle is still running from Post Authority. I couldn't find the price, but I think someone told me you pay $2.50 cash to the driver.

A Mitsuwa Shuttle Bus leaves 15 minutes past each hour from Platform #51 in the Port Authority Bus Terminal (on Eighth Avenue between 40th and 42nd streets) for the half-hour ride.

Mitsuwa Timetable

That's it; I'm totally going, you got me in the mood. I was waiting for a ride from a friend but it's been months! While you're out there, I forget the name but there is an AUTHENTIC ramenya, a satellite of a popular Japan chain, out there. I believe their tonkotsuramen is top notch. N.B. Ramen is so varied in Japan that each place has it's specially, i.e. tonkotsuramen, chyasuuramen, shiyoramen, even some places specialize in their gyoza...

Edited by raji (log)

You can find Shirataki noodles at any of the Japanese markets in NYC, like Yagura or Katagiri in midtown, any of the JAS marts (which are outlets of Mitsuwa) around town, and Sunrise mart, or Family mart in Astoria. In fact, you can find Shirataki at many of the Korean markets like Han au Reum in Koreatown, maybe M2M as well, or the Korean markets in Queens like Chong Hap or Hanyang, or the main Han au Reum stores in Flushing. I've also seen shirataki at some chinese markets, at least the ones in Queens like New York Supermarket in Elmhurst, or Pacific Mart in Jackson Heights. It might be worth looking for in Chinatown as well.

If you feel you have to spend the time and money to get out to Mitsuwa in NJ, that's your call. The ramen chain there is called Santouka, and they do have an excellent shio tonkotsu ramen. They're a chain based in Sapporo.

Santouka! My bad. Do you know where they had those in Tokyo?

So I guess shirataki is more of a staple item.... if so, then you might even find it at Kan Mah on Canal as they stock a lot of japanese products. I've found the jp products at han ah reum increasingly dwindling...

I'm still venturing out to Mitsuwa - it's huuuuuuuuuuuuge - it reminds me of the LIFE marts in suburban Tokyo I used to go to...

I'm pretty sure I've seen them wet packed in Gourmet Garage just recently, but I'm not 100% sure it wasn't at a Whole Foods market.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My daughter just called me this afternoon about these cool noodles she got at Whole Foods here in Jersey....

Shirataki

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks Anpanman,

I live in midtown so I'll check out Yagura or Katagiri. Neither of which I've been to yet.

Thanks!

This forum is such a great resource.

Muse

www.fearlesscooking.tv