• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bird cookies

halloweencat

just wanted to share an experiment i just did.

i have experience with traditional art -- oils, pastels, charcoal, etc. -- and i often see things in cooking and baking (especially baking) that i think i could make my own with an artisic touch. i had this idea of painting on a cookie, to mimic oils or watercolors.

here are my first attempts:

bird.cookie.01.jpg

bird.cookie.02.jpg

bird.cookie.03.jpg

bird.cookie.04.jpg

i used gel colors, with paintbrushes that are used for cake decorating (but which look like regular paintbrushes, 'tho they're not as good). the gels had, in application, some similarity to (but were not an exact match for) watercolors.

i thought i would be able to do many of these at one time, but each takes me between 30 minutes and an hour. i began with the hooded orioles (the orange birds) and then progressed to the green jays. as i got more comfortable with the materials, i began to get closer to the effect for which i was striving.

just thought i'd share, since i've enjoyed the pictures that so many other users have posted.

cheers --

i'm afraid the a nail would decimate them. :)

underneath, they're sugar cookies coated with royal icing. they look tougher than i thought they were/they are. this morning, while i was taking the pictures, i accidently broke off the middle jay's head (you can see the fissure if you look closely). i was barely touching it. also, the oriole that's beneath the other one has lost its tail -- but i conveniently covered that.

my SO's mom loves birds (and she loves to cook), and i thought it would be neat if i could give her an "aviary" for her birthday.

cheers --

Those are amazing! Are you thinking about selling them? Sounds like a fun business, but very time consuming since each one takes so much time. I'm sure there are many people who would love to buy them! I would! They would look great in a chocolate nest of some sort.