• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Accompaniments for kasha kishke

Wilfrid

ok maybe I better wait til my eyes are actually open before going into this....

the concept at hand is kasha kishke right?

as in kasha stuffed inside kishke....

the kishke is the so called derma...right?

and the derma is is the beef intestine casing...right?

If Im missing something here someone please slow down and explain it.

If I got the concept right....how do you stuff it?

Kishke = sausage.

Derma = the casing of the sausage.

Kasha = buckwheat groats.

My sausage was bought from a Ukrainian store, and it's like a huge blood pudding incorporating a lot of kasha along with the blood. The myserty for me is how I came to call it kasha kishke, which is Yiddish, because of course it's far from kosher. I swear someone serving me one in a meat market told me that's what it was called. Next time I buy one from the Ukrainian place I'll ask them what they call it. Oh, they also have one with rice instead of kasha.

So, it's not you Fireperson, it really is all a bit confusing.

Kishke = sausage.

Derma = the casing of the sausage.

Kasha = buckwheat groats.

My sausage was bought from a Ukrainian store, and it's like a huge blood pudding incorporating a lot of kasha along with the blood.  The myserty for me is how I came to call it kasha kishke, which is Yiddish, because of course it's far from kosher.  I swear someone serving me one in a meat market told me that's what it was called.  Next time I buy one from the Ukrainian place I'll ask them what they call it.  Oh, they also have one with rice instead of kasha.

So, it's not you Fireperson, it really is all a bit confusing.

Huummmm. Confusing indeed.

It's all very Kafka-esque, or Kishke-esque, as the case may be.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.