• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Accompaniments for kasha kishke

Wilfrid

" I know it's hardly the weather for it, but if you had a kasha kishke you were planning to simmer, what would be good accompaniments - sides, sauces, condiments?"

Wilfrid - Excuse me but what is a kashe kishke? Have you eaten a large lunch and are your kishkes stuffed to the gills? Or are you describing something that is the same as stuffed derma only filled with kasha?

Peel and halve the cucumbers lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Slice thin. Squeeze out what liquid you can. Add salt, white vinegar, sugar, white pepper, paprika, sour cream, a crushed clove of garlic, a small white thinly sliced onion. Do it ahead of time a bit, so it can sit.

OR...same but with no sour cream, and add plenty of dill.

I'd never simmer it. I'd stick in a raosting pan with a big fat chicken or turkey and let it cook in the juices. Then, when it bursts open, you get some nice crispy stuff in the pan.

Definitely not hot weather cuisine. I'd go for ice cold beet borscht mixed up in the blender with sour cream (strain the beets so you can add them in later). Garnish with boiled potatoes, sliced cucumbers and scallions.

Thanks. I happen to have some dill. What made me buy the kasha kishke in this temperature? Rhetorical question, don't worry. I have been known to make cassoulet in August.

Steve, yes it's a kishke, which I thought was a kind of derma, stuffed with kasha. Should I call it something else? I am happy to be corrected.

Thanks.  I happen to have some dill.  What made me buy the kasha kishke in this temperature?  Rhetorical question, don't worry.  I have been known to make cassoulet in August.

Steve, yes it's a kishke, which I thought was a kind of derma, stuffed with kasha.  Should I call it something else?  I am happy to be corrected.

Sounds like a yiddish haggis.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sounds like a yiddish haggis.

Yes, its appeal is obvious, isn't it? I bought it at one of those Polish meat markets on First or Second, where I thought I had also learnt the name - perhaps wrongly. I am somewhat partial to it, but didn't really want to accompany it with a heap of mashed potatoes, or stewed beans or lentils, as it seems to be about 80F out there.

Well, whatever it was, it was a huge success. To be clear, I am talking about a big, fat purple-black sausage, similar size to a cotechino sold in the various Polish and Russian meat shops on the lower east side. How I picked up the apparently Yiddish name for, I'm not sure, especially since the filling appears to be a mixture of kasha (buckwheat groats) and pig's blood.

In the past, I have treated them like boiling sausages, simmering in stock or water, but this time - noting Bushey's advice - I roasted it. In the absence of a fat turkey, I rubbed it with duck fat first. About an hour at 350, and it seemed very happy. Cut some thick slices, and just crisped them in a pan with a little more duck fat. A dab of mustard on the side. This was a much tastier, better seasoned product than I have bought before, so I checked the source: Kurocynzky Meat market - Ukrainian, apparently - First Avenue between 7th and St. Mark's. Can't remember the exact price, but it's a few dollars, and would comfortably feed four.

And cucumber salad, the version with dill. Thanks Nina - I don't know why I don't make that more often. Scraps of emmenthal and tomme de Savoie to follow (cheese stock is low). All washed down with beer. Good dinner. :smile:

Wilfrid -- sounds divine. I'm two for two with you now! Hmmm.....maybe I'd better quit while I'm ahead. :biggrin:

Nina -- I agree with you on the color palette of borscht and sour cream but not on the soft palate aspect. I love the creamy texture in every spoonful when the sour cream is completely incorporated into the soup.

Peel  and halve the cucumbers lengthwise.  Scoop out seeds.  Slice thin.  Squeeze out what liquid you can.  Add salt, white vinegar, sugar, white pepper, paprika, sour cream, a crushed clove of garlic, a small white thinly sliced onion.  Do it ahead of time a bit, so it can sit.

OR...same but with no sour cream, and add plenty of dill.

I soak my cucumbers overnight in salted water.

Sounds like it'd make it more watery, but it does just the opposite. The salt draws the extra water out of the cukes. Then, I drain and press between paper towels to extract as much additional water as possible, then make the salad (adding no more salt of course).

This extra step keeps the final salad dressing from diluting so much.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Traditional kishke is not pork. No traditional Jewish food has any pork anywhere near it. It's stuffed derma - cow intestines.

NOUN: Beef casing (intestine) stuffed with a seasoned mixture of matzo meal or flour, onion, and suet, prepared by boiling, then roasting. Also called kishke, stuffed derma.

ETYMOLOGY: Possibly Yiddish gederem, intestines, from Middle High German darm, intestine, from Old High German.

Note: in the tradition with which I'm familiar, chicken fat is always used in the filling, too.