• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beard House-like entity in Chicago?

ronnie_suburban

A couple of thought-provoking posts here prompted me to start this thread.

Why isn't there a platform in Chicago, similar to the Beard House in NY, where great chefs and their work are showcased? Could such a thing exist?

I've read some horror stories about what chefs are required to do when they "win" the honor of cooking at the Beard House so, I'm not necessarily advocating that any prospective local entity model itself after the Beard House. Still, this seems like a natural for Chicago -- especially at the moment.

Is there not enough interest here? Is the local restaurant industry too competitive or too small for such a collaborative stage to exist? What exactly are the barriers to getting such a thing launched? The Beard House does showcase chefs from around the world. Does that aspect make smaller, regionally-focused stages irrelevant? Or would it merely require some folks with deep pockets and strong interest to make this happen?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

A couple of thought-provoking posts here prompted me to start this thread.

Why isn't there a platform in Chicago, similar to the Beard House in NY, where great chefs and their work are showcased?  Could such a thing exist?

=R=

Cool idea! Kind of like a Second-City for Restaurants? My first post said "Sundance," which I kind of like, too.

[edited because of original boneheaded, ill-considered input :unsure: ]

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

trying to think of a name, maybe the Upton Sinclair award? No, too much. First you need to set up a culinary center that would rival or even be more responsive to chefs than the Beard House. I know that Calphalon(sp) has a culinary center. And the NRA has the largest restaurant show in May in Chicago. What major education center in Chicago has a culinary education program that could be linked to. I do think that the most creative chefs are in Chicago. This needs a lot of thought, maybe u.e. can help. After all, there is good food outside the city limits of New York.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The Kendall Colleges School of Culinary Arts is the only formidable culinary education center I can think of right now. Any other eGulleters?

I've also suggested the Jean Banchet Foundation as a springboard?

U.E.

[Edited to add: Why does it have to limited to an existing organization? I suppose as joiei points out, it might make it more feasible... but certainly, I don't see why a Chicago chefs couldn't band together to put on and independent event, perhaps a "Chicago Presents" food event? Perhaps, in the spirit of the James Beard Foundation, to raise money for aspiring culinary students?]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

[Edited to add: Why does it have to limited to an existing organization?  I suppose as joiei points out, it might make it more feasible... but certainly, I don't see why a Chicago chefs couldn't band together to put on and independent event, perhaps a "Chicago Presents" food event?  Perhaps, in the spirit of the James Beard Foundation, to raise money for aspiring culinary students?]

There was an event kind of like that last year. It was a James Beard benefit dinner at Charlie Trotter's, which featured 7 CT alumni. Fantastic event, which I think raised a pretty good chunk of change for the Beard Foundation.

Although this is a great food town, there doesn't seem to be anything unifying the restaurant community here. At least nothing visible (or well publicized) to the general public (going back to the whole restaurant week discussion). I don't know what the answer to this is. It seems like the Banchet awards are a good start, but the PR on the awards was just about nill.

In any event, if there ever is anything like the Beard House here I would hope the dinners at the "House" would be far better executed. I went to a dinner at the Beard house in NYC a little more than a year ago and it was disappointing to say the least.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

There was an event kind of like that last year.  It was a James Beard benefit dinner at Charlie Trotter's, which featured 7 CT alumni.  Fantastic event, which I think raised a pretty good chunk of change for the Beard Foundation.

Yeah, but that's because it was an official "James" sanctioned event... I'd bet that if something local to Chicago got going, it could, with the right publicity and names, also establish a respected annual.

Although this is a great food town, there doesn't seem to be anything unifying the restaurant community here.

I'd agree. The Chicago chefs seem to operate very much independently and without much public coordination. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Whether it's a phenomenon of the press or real, the whole "tension" between Tramonto and Trotter doesn't help either... Joho is half in Vegas... The others seem to busy pursuing their own careers... on their own..

At least nothing visible (or well publicized) to the general public (going back to the whole restaurant week discussion).  I don't know what the answer to this is.  It seems like the Banchet awards are a good start, but the PR on the awards was just about nill.

Agreed! While I don't have my ear to the ground on everything (especially in cities I don't live in), I have studied the Chicago market rather well, and Jean Banchet has flown below my radar...

In any event, if there ever is anything like the Beard House here I would hope the dinners at the "House" would be far better executed.  I went to a dinner at the Beard house in NYC a little more than a year ago and it was disappointing to say the least.

That's too bad to hear... I'm confident that if we got together the likes of Achatz, Lane, Kahan, Segal, Cantu, McClain, Liccioni, Nougent, Bowles, etc... that we would have one heck of a meal and event!!

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I don't want to ruffle any feather, but when I think of a person who has brought Chicago international credibility on the culinary stage, as well as helped the community through numerous events, charities and programs, only one name comes to mind....Charlie Trotter.

The fact that his restaurant has been the bench mark that all others in this city are judged upon for almost 20 years is a remarkable feat on its own. When you couple this with the number of cooks who have passed through his hallowed walls and gone on to run their own kitchens, it is another completely.

Love him or leave him, you must respect what he has done....

Graham Elliot

@grahamelliot

www.grahamelliot.com

I don't want to ruffle any feather, but when I think of a person who has brought Chicago international credibility on the culinary stage, as well as helped the community through numerous events, charities and programs, only one name comes to mind....Charlie Trotter. 

The fact that his restaurant has been the bench mark that all others in this city are judged upon for almost 20 years is a remarkable feat on its own.  When you couple this with the number of cooks who have passed through his hallowed walls and gone on to run their own kitchens, it is another completely. 

So chef, are you saying that CT should take an active role in developing this? Do you think he'd have any interest in it?

=R=

The fact that his restaurant has been the bench mark that all others in this city are judged upon for almost 20 years is a remarkable feat on its own.  When you couple this with the number of cooks who have passed through his hallowed walls and gone on to run their own kitchens, it is another completely. 

...not ruffling any feathers at all, in fact, that's why i begged other eGulleters to correct me:

I'd agree.  The Chicago chefs seem to operate very much independently and without much public coordination.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong). 

personally, like all of the chefs of chicago. i just wished i could have them all at the same dinner!! :laugh:

[edited to add:] re: trotter, how much do you think his ability to coordinate/mobilize is directly attributable to the fact that many of chicago's finest are alums of his restaurant?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Why would it have to hang on one person's name? Why not open the focus to ALL. Something like "New World" or whatever to showcase all the chefs of this dynamic food city and actually region because they do effect what happens in the region and the world.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Why would it have to hang on one person's name?  Why not open the focus to ALL.  Something like "New World"  or  whatever to showcase all the chefs of this dynamic food city and actually region because they do effect what happens in the region and the world.

no complaints here joiei. as i stated above:

personally, like all of the chefs of chicago.  i just wished i could have them all at the same dinner!!   :laugh:

i think it would really galvanize the city, the area, heck maybe the country. chicago chefs could really get a lot of mileage for themselves, individually, as well as a ground with this kind of event.

maybe this is something that egullet society could facilitate? i don't know. i'd love to help! ron? anyone?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I thought Chef Trotter had a major roll in the Beard House now?

I do agree with all of you. The rest of us non New Yorkers need a stage with the same caliber as the Beard Foundation. As mentioned on other threads, they refuse to look out of the four major cities

And Elliot I think your right. In the next decade or so when the Avant Garde movement is more mainstream. I think everyone will realize Chef Trotter is one of our greatest Culinary Fathers.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Perhaps if this were proposed as the "Trotter House," chef Trotter would be more compelled to jump on board. :raz:

Seriously though, since chef Trotter is so active within the Beard Foundation (he was essentially their life raft of credibility when the ship looked like it was about to sink), I wonder how likely his participation in such an overlapping, local endeavor really would be.

I personally think it's going to take someone slightly outside the industry -- yet still very close to it -- to make this happen. The suggestion of Kendall College -- or some similar entity -- is good but again, this is going to require some amount of financing. I'm not sure that a college or school would be able to contribute more than gifts-in-kind (a venue, etc.) toward such a venture. I suppose that various media outlets could also be good fits for underwriting since they could basically promote the venture at no cost.

But still, the first step here, IMO, is someone with ties to most or at least many of the local chefs and restaurant owners stepping up and taking the lead. If that person (or people) had enough clout, they could move forward knowing that they'd have a better than average shot at gathering momentum and followers. From there, it would simply be a matter of assembling a Board of Directors and drafting some sort of blueprint which would define the entity, establish its goals and lay out a plan to ensure its perpetual existence.

=R=

But still, the first step here, IMO, is someone with ties to most or at least many of the local chefs and restaurant owners stepping up and taking the lead.  If that person (or people) had enough clout, they could move forward knowing that they'd have a better than average shot at gathering momentum and followers.

=R=

How about you? :cool:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

But still, the first step here, IMO, is someone with ties to most or at least many of the local chefs and restaurant owners stepping up and taking the lead.  If that person (or people) had enough clout, they could move forward knowing that they'd have a better than average shot at gathering momentum and followers.

=R=

How about you? :cool:

LMAO! :biggrin:

=R=

I think centering any gathering of ideas around one individual entity is a recipe for creative restriction. This is not to say CT is a creative restrictor. It should be an evolution of meetings, from year to year or whatever the case may be. 100 years from now we wont know who or what Nobel is or was. The main focus of the event will be the fruit of its labor. I believe this is relevant to the impact of chicagos food evolution. To say one name is responsible for an entire movement is nuts. There is no way my restaurant could exist without its core team. The same way Trotters could not have existed without its team players over the years. Its unfortunate however to realize the fact that sponsers look for numbers in return to promote such an event. Perhaps there may be a company in the future willing to take on a "financially unjustified" endeavour. No awards, just ideology and philosophy wether it be focused on tradition, the future of gastronomy or something in between. Creativity is a very ambiguous task. There are no rules and therefore no beginning and no end.

Why spend the next 100 years trying to interpret the original message of a creator? Thats not creative and definitely not evolving.

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

• 1 year later...

Who makes the decisions on who gets a star on the Hollywood walk of fame?

Think Daley and the city council would allow some group to embed chef's knives (rather than stars) along with Chef's handprints in the concrete along Michigan avenue?