• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Johnny Iuzzini on The Tony Danza Show

Bux

For fans of the JG pastry chef, check out

Johnny on The Tony Danza Show

Tomorrow

Friday, Feb 17-

10 am

channel 7

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Where did you find out about this, Bux?

Bux is a well known fan of Tony. He documents every exciting move that Tony makes.

I believe I read something in the Post about a restraining order, but I could be wrong about that.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Johnny was cool!

Kind of got rushed for time but came out a winner.

TV is tough!!!

I did a spot one time, taped two recipes, no redos and the studio didn't have a working freezer.

My Baileys ice cream turned into an Anglaise on the tube :shock: ( St. Patricks Day menu)

Nice work, JI!!!

2317/5000

That was tough to watch. First Danza plated the dessert upside down and then he threw the garnish right into the sauce. "There it is, Jean George, everybody!". Yikes.

Yeah, I was kind of biting my arm off towards the end of the segment but thought it was ok.

Reminds me of this HUGE article in Food Arts years ago about training chefs to do TV and Emeril was the main point of the story, as he was having extremely hard time.

This was pre (just) Food network.

2317/5000

Where did you find out about this, Bux?

. . . .

Johnny is another of those hard working and talented guys who seems to have a lot of respect for the professionals he works with and who's earned respect from those with whom he works. I got a rather last minute e-mail. I assume it was simply to alert me for my own enjoyment, but I was happy to share the news and I put the notice up as soon as I heard about it, hoping the taping might be a subject for discussion as well as provide enjoyment for others.

I don't think they devoted enough time to Johnny, for any of us to have learned much about his talent on that show. Once again, a chef is squeezed into too short a time with a host who's really clueless about cooking at that level and unable to offer any sort of presentation of the chef. It's not news and I've seen older chefs with more media experience run over roughshod by a well meaning but clueless host. You'll learn more about his cooking abilities by having dinner at Jean Georges, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the media again. Johnny actually came off well and showed good presence.

I can't say I really paid much attention to the rest of the show. In truth I only had half an eye on the TV while waiting for Johnny to come on, but it seems as if they devoted most of the show to small talk by people who had nothing interesting to say. On the other hand, I may not be the demographic daytime TV is interested in attracting.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I DVRed it so I wouldn't have to drag through the whole thing.

I though Johnny had a great presence and would be a natural for a show where he could actually have the time to show what the recipe is all about.

He held up great.

Like I said upthread, TV is not easy, in fact, it's rather tricky.

2317/5000