• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer Nuts

jayhay

"Beer Nuts" seem to be hard to find, especially in my area. I usually go searching for them when we venture across the border, & even then I often don't see them.

I'm making up a birthday gift basket for a beer drinker, & would love to find a recipe that comes close to the original.

I see beer nut recipes on the web, & wonder if anyone has tried one they could recommend. :smile:

I have made these and they are close to the original .. very easy ...

1 lb. raw peanuts, 3/4 c. sugar, 1/2 c. water, 1/8 tsp. salt

Boil and stir gently with a spoon until the liquid is absorbed ... then simply spread the peanuts out on something like a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 225. Stir and let cool.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thank you Gifted Gourmet, I made your recipe this afternoon.

Not sure if the nuts turned out the way they were supposed to though, seeing as how we had firemen trooping through the house at the same time.

I had the peanuts on top of the stove simmering away & the oven heating for the final baking, when I noticed a fire in the oven out of the corner of my eye. Seems the element was in a meltdown. After turning off the oven, I called the fire dept to ask what I should do to put out the fire...baking soda? salt? or what? Nothing would do but them coming to check it out, axe in hand & lights blinking. Needless to say the peanuts on top of the stove didn't get the attention they needed, so turned out a little dark.

Finished them off in my trusty Cuisinart toaster/convection oven, added coarse salt after the final baking, & they were delicious!

Now, just have to figure out how I'm going to cook that 4-rib beef roast I've got thawing for 10 dinner guests this weekend. :blink:

I shouldn't be laughing. Really I shouldn't. I'm sorry. But the image is so vivid. At least they didn't hack through any walls! I think you need a new oven. Whether you can get it by Sat is another story. However, you could do the roast on your grill using indirect heat (if you have a grill of course)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Now, just have to figure out how I'm going to cook that 4-rib beef roast I've got thawing for  10 dinner guests this weekend. :blink:

Umm... how 'bout calling up the fire department and asking if you can use their oven?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Thanks for the support Marlene :raz: !

I'm sure there's a lot of information here on cooking a bone-in rib roast on a gas BBQ.

jsolomon, do you have a particular thread you can point me to, just in case the firehall has an objection to me using their oven? :laugh:

Gifted Gourmet, I put cayenne pepper as well as extra salt on some of the nuts & they're great.

jayhay, check out this post on beef roasts. If you've got your grill, I'd cook the sucker to 115 internal temperature on a low heat, pull from heat for 5 minutes and stoke the heat, then place back on to 125 internal temperature.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Thanks for the support Marlene  :raz: !

I'm sure there's a lot of information here on cooking a bone-in rib roast on a gas BBQ. 

jsolomon, do you have a particular thread you can point me to, just in case the firehall has an objection to me using their oven?  :laugh:

Gifted Gourmet, I put cayenne pepper as well as extra salt on some of the nuts & they're great.

I am sorry. It's just that I can easily envision something like that happening to me.

I normally spit roast my prime rib when I do it on the grill, but since yours in bone in, that would be a problem. Weber suggests roasting indirectly by preheating the grill with all of your burners on high. Then turn one side off, and keep the other to about 350. Put the roast, bone side down on the side that has been turned off. They say a 7 bone roast will take about 2 hours to cook to rare, so say probably 1 1/2 hours for yours

Or, you could cut the bones off, tie it and spit roast it!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.