• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unique Coffee Roasters

kguetzow

"Seemingly good" is an operative word here. No way to know what grade of beans they use - it's not as if all Colombian, Ethiopian or other beans and specific varietals are created equal - there are varying quality grades. The best quality beans often (not always) tend top be single origin estate varietals and then there are many excellent beans that come from frowers co-ops. But amont those are a variety of grades. One cannot assume that "Ethiopian Yirgacheffe" is the same from any roaster.

But to me their "deal" is less attractive than it appears on the surface. They require a six pound minimum for all orders and offer only UPS as a shipping choice. That adds another $12 - $19 to the cost of the order depending on whether you choose Ground or guaranteed Three Day shipping.

But I haven't tried them and can't attest to the freshness, quality, roasting skill or lack of same.

"Seemingly good" is an operative word here.  No way to know what grade of beans they use - it's not as if all Colombian, Ethiopian or other beans and specific varietals are created equal - there are varying quality grades.  The best quality beans often (not always) tend top be single origin estate varietals and then there are many excellent beans that come from frowers co-ops. But amont those are a variety of grades. One cannot assume that "Ethiopian Yirgacheffe" is the same from any roaster.

But to me their "deal" is less attractive than it appears on the surface. They require a six pound minimum for all orders and offer only UPS as a shipping choice. That adds another $12 - $19 to the cost of the order depending on whether you choose Ground or guaranteed Three Day shipping.

But I haven't tried them and can't attest to the freshness, quality, roasting skill or lack of same.

Seemingly Indeed! I tried these beans and had one of the tastiest cups of coffee ever.( using there Costa Rican Terrazzu beans) I had bought two bags and the second bag of the same coffee was absolutley horrible. Not anything like the first bag. This level of inconsistency eliminates them from another purchase. Too bad though, because that first pound was wonderful.