• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

Sapporo style ramen at Ramen Ray in Indianapolis.

The husband-wife owners hail from Sapporo, Hokkaido; they had been working in the corporate world for some years but hankered for ramen like they grew up with. Finally they quit their jobs and went on to open up this place after some travails with the bureaucracy, what else.

Miso ramen, on one day.

DSCN9348a_600.jpg

DSCN9350a_600.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all. Good ramen, good taste.

Shoyu ramen another day, with extra chashu & eggs.

DSCN8833a_600.jpg

A bit on the overly salty side. The braised pork & eggs were fine.

Shio ramen another day.

DSCN9510a_600.jpg

DSCN9512a_600.jpg

DSCN9514a_600.jpg

I think I liked this the best of the three. Good complex broth (the miso was pretty good too, mind you), excellent ramen, saltiness was in check, especially relative to what I remembered about the shoyu ramen, ingredients in harmony (but no pork?) - would have liked another egg or two though. Next time.

They also have a spicy miso ramen, and they aim to add more items to their menu. I didn't go for the Japanese style sweets. I had their slightly-curiously-flavored tea each time, though. (gratis)

NOT CHEAP.  The basic bowl is just over US$13.  Unfortunately they don't sell their ramen (alone) at the present time.  They bring it in fresh from Hokkaido and "age" it appropriately in-house. Their stocks and tare are all made daily (I believe) in-house.

View of the inside one day.

DSCN8835a_600.jpg

On another day.

DSCN9351a_600.jpg

The outside.

DSCN8836aCa-37aCa_1k_600.jpg

Location on Google maps.

huiray

huiray

The husband-wife owners hail from Sapporo, Hokkaido; they had been working in the corporate world for some years but hankered for ramen like they grew up with. Finally they quit their jobs and went on to open up this place after some travails with the bureaucracy, what else.

Miso ramen, on one day.

DSCN9348a_600.jpg

DSCN9350a_600.jpg

DSCN8833a_600.jpg

Shio ramen another day.

DSCN9510a_600.jpg

DSCN9512a_600.jpg

DSCN9514a_600.jpg

I think I liked this the best of the three. Good complex broth (the miso was pretty good too, mind you), excellent ramen, saltiness was in check, ingredients in harmony - would have liked another egg or two though. Next time.

They also have a spicy miso ramen, and they aim to add more items to their menu. I didn't go for the Japanese style sweets. I had their slightly-curiously-flavored tea each time, though. (gratis)

NOT CHEAP.  The basic bowl is just over US$13.  Unfortunately they don't sell their ramen (alone) at the present time.  They bring it in fresh from Hokkaido and "age" it appropriately in-house. Their stocks and tare are all made daily (I believe) in-house.

DSCN8835a_600.jpg

On another day.

DSCN9351a_600.jpg

The outside.

Location on Google maps.

huiray

huiray

The husband-wife owners hail from Sapporo,Hokkaido; they had been working in the corporate world for some years but hankered for ramen like they grew up with. Finally they quit their jobs and went on to open up this place after some travails with the bureaucracy, what else.

Miso ramen, on one day.

DSCN9348a_600.jpg

DSCN9350a_600.jpg

DSCN8833a_600.jpg

Shio ramen another day.

DSCN9510a_600.jpg

DSCN9512a_600.jpg

DSCN9514a_600.jpg

I think I liked this the best of the three. Good complex broth (the miso was pretty good too, mind you), excellent ramen, saltiness was in check, ingredients in harmony - would have liked another egg or two though. Next time.

DSCN8835a_600.jpg

On another day.

DSCN9351a_600.jpg

The outside.

Location on Google maps.