• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

So...instead of brunch at Sichuan, I crossed over 116th Street to a place I have not been back to for a few years, and also after they relocated down a few doors from the corner of the strip mall where they were previously.

Sunday buffet lunch at Mandarin House in Carmel.

Pretty large spread. The usual American-Chinese suspects were on the buffet, but quite a number of Chinese-style dishes/offerings too - especially on the ends and on the "back table", heh. More Chinese clientele than non-Chinese folks there. Busy. I took a selection of maybe 1/4 of the stuff on offer there, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the "Chinese-y stuff".

What I had:

Selection of their dim-sum-type things:

DSCN7689b_800.jpg.c5ea0f27680cc2efe97c91

On the larger plate: Small pork bun, siu-mai, phoenix claws (chicken feet), beef tripe w/ ginger.

On the smaller plate: Pot stickers, fried turnip cake; a sort of chili sauce, a sweet soy dip.

The turnip cake and potstickers were nice. The chicken feet were decent. The tripe was just OK. The pork bun and siu-mai were humdrum to barely passable.

Tea: the house oolong (completely unremarkable).

Selection of cold cuts and stuff:

DSCN7691b_800.jpg.9707ff319104efb09ced4b

Cold tofu slices w/ a mildly spicy grated ginger dressing w/ scallions and pei-tan (century egg) chunks; chillied pork maw slices; slices of a sort of beef brisket-like and tendon jellied "roll"; slices of a cured duck marinated w/ a rice-liquor based sauce.

All were pretty decent and tasty.

Sweet & Sour Fish.

DSCN7692a_800.jpg.8bf403afd5296c18d61282

With a few chunks of stir-fried baby bok choy which were fine.

The fish was a mixed bag. One piece was very dried out, unpleasant in texture and taste. The other (tail-end) piece (on the left) was fine. But the sauce needed to be more sour and less sweet, more tanginess needed. Less gloopiness needed too. 

DSCN7694b_600.jpg.cc5f3f2f7171d2529b7d36

Sort-of "stir-fried" clams (flower clams type) in a savory thickened sauce:

DSCN7696b_800.jpg.44f8ff1a7e18e84b040f07

Also w/ some of the stir-fried baby bok choy.

The clams were juicy and fine but it could be more "clammy" in taste. A bit bland tasting but reasonably enjoyable.

Orange slices, pineapple slice, a sweet red bean paste sesame fried dough ball. Being eaten. :-) 

DSCN7698a_600.jpg.505f09336107e134e07652

Shot of the entrance from the outside:

DSCN7699a_600.jpg.5502302d0e800c3e89f655

Overall – lots of food, some nice things, some completely forgettable things. General quasi-Cantonese style in the cooking for the dishes on the buffet, but not the best example of the genre – but then, it was a buffet.

Eh, edible. Not at the top of the list of places I can't wait to return to.

Location on Google maps.

huiray

huiray

So...instead of brunch at Sichuan, I crossed over 116th Street to a place I have not been back to for a few years, and also after they relocated down a few doors from the corner of the strip mall where they were previously.

Pretty large spread. The usual American-Chinese suspects were on the buffet, but quite a number of Chinese-style dishes/offerings too - especially on the ends and on the "back table", heh. More Chinese clientele than non-Chinese folks there. Busy. I took a selection of maybe 1/3 of the stuff on offer there, maybe 1/2 of the "Chinese-y stuff".

What I had:

On the larger plate: Small pork bun, siu-mai, phoenix claws (chicken feet), beef tripe w/ ginger.

On the smaller plate: Pot stickers, fried turnip cake; a sort of chili sauce, a sweet soy dip.

The turnip cake and potstickers were nice. The chicken feet were decent. The tripe was just OK. The pork bun and siu-mai were humdrum to barely passable.

Cold tofu slices w/ a mildly spicy grated ginger dressing w/ scallions and pei-tan (century egg) chunks; chillied pork maw slices; slices of a sort of beef brisket-like and tendon jellied "roll"; slices of a cured duck marinated w/ a rice-liquor based sauce.

Sweet & Sour Fish.

The fish was a mixed bag. One piece was very dried out, unpleasant in texture and taste. The other (tail-end) piece (on the left) was fine. But the sauce needed to be more sour and less sweet, more tanginess needed. Less gloopiness needed too. 

The clams were juicy and fine but it could be more "clammy" in taste. A bit bland tasting but reasonably enjoyable.

Orange slices, pineapple slice, a sweet red bean paste sesame fried dough ball. Being eaten. :-) 

Overall – lots of food, some nice things, some completely forgettable things. General quasi-Cantonese style in the cooking for the dishes on the buffet, but not the best example of the genre – but then, it was a buffet.

Location on Google maps.

huiray

huiray

Pretty large spread. The usual American-Chinese suspects were on the buffet, but quite a number of Chinese-style dishes/offerings too - especially on the ends and on the "back table", heh. More Chinese clientele than non-Chinese folks there. Busy. I took a selection of maybe 1/3 of the stuff on offer there, maybe 1/2 of the "Chinese-y stuff".

What I had:

Sweet & Sour Fish.

Location on Google maps.

DSCN7689a_800.jpg

DSCN7691a_800.jpg

DSCN7694a_600.jpg