• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the ultimate/weirdest food to deep fry?

WolfChef

So... me and "the guys" were out in the middle of nowhere on a historical trip, and the evening was the traditional cooking contest. While working hard on a Polish meal with no running water or electricity over a coleman stove the guy in the camp next to us was dunking "stuff" in his propane deep fryer. Fresh artichokes, battered cauliflower, battered snap peas, and heaven help us, :rolleyes: bacon wrapped asparagus (both with and without batter). Then came the ultimate... tempura battered pickled peppers.

My pirogies were good, as were the galumpke and the borsht... but by the end of the night everybody (all 125 of us) had dunked something in oil.... and it was a heck of a night.

Only regret... I had zits for 2 days (this is at age 35 :angry: )... from standing over the 10 gallon pot and helping.

HVR :wub:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Its been mentioned twice but Twinkies.

I used to be on the Indianapolis Star's food advisory panel, and every year they would invite us to the state fair to try out the latest fair food (its a tough job but someone's got to do it). I thought the previous year's Snicker was too much (although I ate every last morsel and grease stain), but the Twinkie...ahhh...just enough grease soaked into the golden sponge to squirt as i bit. Funny...now that I think of it, that was my last gig with that panel and I moved to New Mexico to open a gourmet food store...I wonder what the connection might be?!

The topic about deep fried haggis made me think, "My god, what next deep fried foie gras?"  Although I should talk, one of my favorite snacks when I used to chef was deep fried lobster tail sandwich.  Pull the meat out of a cold water lobster tail, bread it and deep fry for a minute then slap between two slices of heavily buttered bread.  The waitress would always want to know what we chefs were eating, and this way I could hide mine in the bread and say "Just a sandwich."

But I have to admit, deep frying haggis would never have occured to me.  So I have to wonder what other deep fried treats are out there.

In Scotland they also deep fry pizza (and pretty much everything else).

My pirogies were good, as were the galumpke and the borsht...

Totally off topic, but I'm impressed that you pulled together that food with only the Coleman stove to cook on. I assume you mean the classic two-burner stove, but still! Bravo!

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

As mentioned up thread, A classic foie gras preparation fried is called "cromesque".  Its basically a prepared foie appaire, cut into cubes and breaded, then fried. You pop the whole thing into your mouth, bite and a liquid foie gushes out. Our preparation included port also. I served a  "cromesque" of crawfish potted in spicey butter. I had to take it off the menue  because I couldn't keep up with the demand.

Oh please share the recipe :wub:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Beer wasn't the first drug that popped into my head, actually.

I've deep fried parsley, and I bet someone out there has deep fried this and ate it. BTW, the parsley wasn't worth the effort.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

As mentioned up thread, A classic foie gras preparation fried is called "cromesque".  Its basically a prepared foie appaire, cut into cubes and breaded, then fried. You pop the whole thing into your mouth, bite and a liquid foie gushes out. Our preparation included port also. I served a  "cromesque" of crawfish potted in spicey butter. I had to take it off the menue  because I couldn't keep up with the demand.

Oh please share the recipe :wub:

Cromesque of Crawfish

3# of fresh crawfish

1# unsalted butter

1 tbsp chopped garlic

1 Tbsp shopped parsley

1 tsp cayenne(or less, i like mine spicey)

salt/pepper

1 lemon

Bring a large pot of water to boil, in another deep pot put crawfish in and pour boiling water over them, let sit for 5 min.

Drain and remove heads(save for other use)

Peel the tails, add to mixer with butter, parsley cayenne, s/p, and a squeeze of 1/2 the lemon, Mix until well combined. Taste and adjust.

Spread mixture in plastic lined tray to about 1/2 inch thick, and chill untill set.

Unmold, and cut into 1/2 squares, keeping them chilled

Set up breading process- flour, egg wash, breadcrumbs,tray

do this process 3 times, chilling after each pass thru the breading. Store in refridgerator.

Deep fry at 350 untill golden and serve.

Its a labor intensive process, but worth the effort.

Come on!

Where are the folk from St. Louis :angry: ?????

I can't believe this thread is on page three already and no one has mentioned deep-fried ravioli!!!

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I can't believe this thread is on page three already and no one has mentioned deep-fried ravioli!!!

Sounds interesting, do you get sauce too?

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

yup, every time I've had fried ravioli, it came with a side of marinara.

Deep fried spinach (fresh, not creamed) is fairly common at the restaurants around here, and if done properly melts in your mouth . . .

The weirdest thing I've ever deep-fried is a Moon Pie. It didn't work. We were in the throes of post-turkey frying and probably drunk.

=Deep fried spinach (fresh, not creamed) is fairly common at the restaurants around here, and if done properly melts in your mouth . . .

I've had that as an appetizer and it was amazing. It came sprinkled with a bit of lemon juice and thin slivers of Parmesan cheese, which formed almost a vinaigrette with the oil from the frying. The spinach was so crisp, tangy, and salty. I was told that you have to really watch the spinach when you fry it - it only takes a few seconds.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Isnt deep fried spinach called pakora?

Pakora usually involves a mixture of chickpea flour (besan) and spices as a coating, along with one or more vegetables. The deep fried spinach I had was simply spinach leaves alone with no binder or coating. Both delicious, but different.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Come on!

Where are the folk from St. Louis :angry: ?????

Ooh! I'm going to St. Louis next weekend and I can't believe I didn't remember this one. Although I wouldn't think it was weird (in my area anyway), nothing beats breaded cheesy ravioli dipped in pesto! :rolleyes:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

The deep fried moonpie is right up there with the peeps, except the peeps are quasi life like; sorta like you fried a ortolan.

The deep fried spinach I had was simply spinach leaves alone with no binder or coating.

That sounds good and has my mind running thru the farmer's market wondering what else to fry...I keep coming up with fresh sage leaves fried and crumbled on pasta, and a deep fried version of insalata caprese.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I've had fried sage leaves and they were wonderful! Really good with pasta, especially if you add a bit of prosciutto as well.

Kathy

We Austin folks actually had a get together, the theme of which was deep frying everything one could think of.

The weirdest thing was probably Peeps -- soft little yellow chickies, etc.

The weirdest thing that actually tasted great was pickled ginger.  It was battered and then deep-fried.  It was served with a basil aioli for dipping.  It was absolutely delicious.

It was a basil syrup (though the aioli sounds like a great idea).

Speaking of aioli, I recently had the deep-fried mayo at WD-50 in New York, and it was great.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

Last weekend I deep fried some battered pig brain slices. Served them with good sea salt and wedges of lemon. They were crunchy, creamy and delicous.

Angels .... on a stick!

SB (three threads, one answer) :wink:

Angels .... on a stick!

SB (three threads, one answer) :wink:

Deep Fried Angels on a Stick (serves 4)

Mice in Place

4 Sticks

1 Qt Angels

2 Eggs well beaten

2 Cups Panko Crumbs

Salt & Pepper to taste

Oil for Deep Frying