• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the ultimate/weirdest food to deep fry?

WolfChef

How about deep fried cabbage? I've never tried it but I might this weekend because I got 3 heads of cabbage for about a dollar in the marked down produce section. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Please.

Melissa

I adore deep fried sweet shrimp heads, but I dream of taking semi-frozen uni and dipping it in panko and THEN deep frying it.

You asked me in another thread whether there was anything that I managed to make inedible. Well, let me tell you, never try and deep fry scrambled eggs. The egg poofs up into a giant sponge which soaks in practically all the oil and you get a dripping, greasy mess. Not appetising at all.

PS: I am a guy.

I've heard they sell deep fried Twinkies at the Puyallup (Washington State) Fair.

About 4 years ago, the Wisconsin State Fair had a "We'll Fry Anything" booth. Since Wisconisinites already will fry just about anything, it wasn't really a stretch. They fried a lot of the usual - cheese curds, brats, corn dogs, and so on - and various kinds of candy bars were popular, but one of my friends bought his favorite fair food, Indian Taco (taco ingredients in Native American flat bread), scraped out the lettuce and sour cream, had it dipped in the batter, then deep fried. I didn't try it, but he loved it. (Of course, that was right after our trip to the "Native Wisconsin Beer" booth :raz: )

I did try a deep fried avocado, and it was pretty yummy. It was just dipped in batter and fried really only long enough for that to cook. A good mixture of crunchy/chewy and cool/smooth.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

How about deep fried cabbage?  I've never tried it but I might this weekend because I got 3 heads of cabbage for about a dollar in the marked down produce section.  If anyone has any suggestions let me know.  Please.

Yep, been there done that, and it is mighty tasty.

Just make up an egg wash with milk, flour, egg, worcestershire, tobasco or pepper sauce of your choice. Slice the cabbage in long strips, dip and fry, salt and pepper. Great finger food.

I make a horseradish dip with mayo and mustard and prepared horseradish on the side.

Edited by annecros (log)

I adore deep fried sweet shrimp heads, but I dream of taking semi-frozen uni and dipping it in panko and THEN deep frying it.

I've done this, but I used a light beer type batter. It's really as good as you can imagine. First I froze the uni (and some basil) into a ball, by tying it in a saran wrap bundle. then I unwrapped the lot and battered it. Then into the fryer. It was so good, my life changed forever.... with a little sea salt or a squeeze of lemon...phew...

get ye to an uni market

:rolleyes:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

get ye to an uni market

:rolleyes:

There's a nice local fishmarket that carries uni once in awhile, but I'd need to get a fryer first, wouldn't I? :laugh::laugh:

Besides, THIS week I'm on a highly restrictive diet. Basically, if it tastes amazing, or if you have to chew it AT ALL, forget it. Oh, wait, I'm instructed to have lots of salty broth. MMM salty.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Last spring I had a deep fried roast beef sandwich at Jacques-Imo's in NOLA. They made the sandwich, battered the whole thing and fried it. Unfortunately it wasn't as exciting or tasty as I'd expected.

Bode

This reminded me of the seafood chef where I worked many years ago(24) who would take the peeled shells of the shrimp tail and deep fry em in either a very thin tempura batter or seasoned flour and eat em like potato chips during the night. I never tried one, and frankly thought he was out of his gourd.

On a different note the day crew at the resturant had a sandwich on the menu that was deep fried. It was a big seller and it always seemed to cause alot of trouble for the day chefs. The batter it was fried in was rather sweet and they served it with powered sugar over it. I used to come in early some days to do prep work for large parties or whatever, and would watch them scrambling to make these. Often they would fall apart in the fryer despite best efforts to hold them together with toothpicks. To me they seemed to be a huge sponge full of deep fryer grease with turkey, ham and cheese in the middle, and since most of this resturants clientel (sp?) were rotund businessmen, did they really need this? No. I just can't remember what they called the sandwich...it's on the tip of my tongue, but I guess the old brain cells are backfiring today.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Now that's not fair, Mallet - to leave everyone hanging on to the thought of "WHAT KIND of fat?" :biggrin:

Today I am thinking of a mid-day snack of olives - stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes, varieties of hot and sweet peppers, anchovies, tuna, and artichoke hearts - battered and fried.

Maybe throw in a handful or two with centers of Pernod or Cassis syrups.

That could be the beverage part of the meal.

Lard, I'll bet. It's a big treat with porridge over here. Pig intestines too. (and no, I've not eaten them, mostly because I don't do pig very much)

Deepfried bananas are yummy.

Got a cousin who loves deep-fried scrambled eggs.

I'm thinking about deepfrying...Korova Cookie dough... Ling, someday I'll get you for this. LOL!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Lard, I'll bet. It's a big treat with porridge over here. Pig intestines too. (and no, I've not eaten them, mostly because I don't do pig very much)

Is this what Anne of Green Gables used to eat for breakfast? :shock:

Lard and porridge, with a side of pig intestines?!

Indeed, that will give a child backbone. :biggrin:

I just can't remember what they called the sandwich...it's on the tip of my tongue, but I guess the old brain cells are backfiring today.

Monte Cristo?

I just can't remember what they called the sandwich...it's on the tip of my tongue, but I guess the old brain cells are backfiring today.

Monte Cristo?

I think that's it. Whoa wait a minute, that's also one of my favorite cigars.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Pizza (batter a pizza slice and deep fry it. Try it, you'll like it)

On a food board I once belonged to, we had a thread dedicated to fattiest foods we could think of. One member submitted a recipe he came up with one night after a night of carousing, in which, if memory serves, he wrapped a corn dog in a slice of pizza and deep-fried the whole assemblage. :blink:

Monte Cristo?

Is a Monte Cristo any sandwich that is deep fried, or is it a specific kind of sandwich?

Most Monte Cristos I've seen have contained ham and swiss cheese; some have had sliced turkey instead of or in addition to the ham. And some have been browned on a griddle rather than deep-fried.