• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the ultimate/weirdest food to deep fry?

WolfChef

The topic about deep fried haggis made me think, "My god, what next deep fried foie gras?" Although I should talk, one of my favorite snacks when I used to chef was deep fried lobster tail sandwich. Pull the meat out of a cold water lobster tail, bread it and deep fry for a minute then slap between two slices of heavily buttered bread. The waitress would always want to know what we chefs were eating, and this way I could hide mine in the bread and say "Just a sandwich."

But I have to admit, deep frying haggis would never have occured to me. So I have to wonder what other deep fried treats are out there.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Don't discount deep-fried foie gras -- I've had it and it is amazing. With a light egg-and-panko crust, the interior turns molten and is almost orgasmic...

I've also had deep-fried ants which are quite crunchy and interesting when served on fries...

Once where I worked, our most tatooed cook, the heavy drinking bartender, and aspiring stand up comic waiter - the three in the restaurant who'd eat anything - decided to have a McD's cheesburger eating contest. Don't know who won, but they had some leftover and no one else would touch them. I suggested a deepfry. Mr Tatoo pressed a couple together, battered them, and dropped them in. They didn't fall apart. ... When they acquired a lovely golden hue, he sliced them up and plated them. Don't know how they tasted, though, as I didn't try. The few who did, from what I know, are still alive.

I had deep fried maki rolls last year and they were fantatsic. Probably best described as flash fried because they had panko bread crumbs and a very quick fry that lent a crunchy exterior yet did not raise the internal temp of the roll above room temperature levels.

There is actually a website for deep frying Oreo cookies .. complete with photographs ... but I like my Oreos plain on a plate ...  :hmmm:

eG thread on deep fried cheesecake  :shock:  actually, it looks quite good!

I especially like the part where the author doubts the existence of extreme culinary nerds who would actually measure the temperature of oil when deep-frying! I guess she or he hasn't been to egullet lately.

There is actually a website for deep frying Oreo cookies .. complete with photographs ... but I like my Oreos plain on a plate ...  :hmmm:

I don't know if they still are, but deep-fried oreos were quite ubiquitous in NYC street fairs a few years ago.

I love anything deep-fried. I think if you coat shoe leather in batter or bread crumbs and stick it in hot oil it would also taste good.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

My boyfriend's fraternity "chef" would deep fry oreos before parties and whatnot......talk about sinfully good :wub:

Hmmm deep fried smores would be great (disclaimer: never tried it!).

chocolate covered marshmallow rolled in graham cracker crumbs, frozen then fried?

These sound really good.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

This may be my favorite line from that site...

The original recipe told me to preheat the oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. But honestly, do people actually measure the temperature of their cooking oil?? Do these culinary nerds actually exist?

Um, yes.

And here we are. :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

One of the Japanese restaurants here has an item called a Monkey Brain on its sushi list - it's half an avocado stuffed with spicy tuna mixture, cut in half, then lightly breaded and deep fried. It was very, very good - expensive, but good.

Marcia.

no actual monkeys were harmed in the making of that item

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog