• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find bouillabaisse in Montreal

hellokitty70

• 2 weeks later...

you might want to try ChezAlexandre(er? sorry) on Peel seem to remember a kind of bouillabaisse although bit on thin side had good memories of late late meals there after peelpub(blush mea culpa) but it seems curious that in the largest francophone city in the world outside paris with such a sterling reputation for coolsharptrendy, a good(or any) bouillabaisse should be such a rarity :smile: umm.. on the slight downside i think ChezAlex was known more for its comfy chic decor and party eats rather than actual Food Experience.

again, not a bouillabaise per se, but the Chez Jose breakfast place on Duluth, 3-4 blocks east of St-Laurent has a really good seafood soup.

for a traditional bouillabaise, you'll need to go somewhere "old school" French, like Le Caveau, close to McGill College and Sherbrooke... I had a dreamy lobster bisque there before; not sure about the bouillabaise though.

:smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

There is a little place at the Atwater market, Terrines et Pates, that has the most amazing fish soup for take away. It is served with a little container of rouille, and all you need is a baguette and some grated guyere cheese and you are good to go. The fish soup at L'express and P'tit Plateau is great as well, but somehow the take away one has exceptional depth in flavors that I haven't found in any other so far. But get there early because it goes fast and they usually only have it starting Wednesday to whenever they sell out which is usually before Sunday.

From what I recall, the fish soup at Laloux was reasonable approximation of bouillabaisse. Although it's been awhile the base was certainly saffron and tomato and there was a good variety of fish. From what I recall, it was also served with croutons and rouille. It wasn't technically a bouillabaisse, but it had a similar flavour profile.

• 4 weeks later...