• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Haggis - deep fried

Jake

This sound very much similar to a Philadelphia area speciality called Scrappel. It's a love or hate thing that"s regional and also a cultural kinda thing (German & Pennsylvania Dutch) It's from every part of the pig that didn't get into the meat case.

If it is anything like the Scottish version, it most likely looks a little like this.

gallery_1643_1586_60262.jpg

Almost an exact replica, Adam....my thanks! Of course, now I'm hungry... :raz:

The owners are ex-pat Scots and have taken great pains to keep things authentic to satisfy the ex-pat clientele. Frank apparently makes his own Ayrshire bacon for sandwiches as well.

Ayrshire bacon is very good in a Morning roll. Haggis is one of those funny things that lots of people have opinions on, even if they have never seen one. There is a lot of issues involved, general squeamishness, classism, racism etc and the Scots should take some responsibility for some of this, but at the end of the day it is a mild sausage which is mostly grain (as you can see in the picture). The defining think about it is that it was cooked in a stomach, but this is often not the case now and there are completey vegan versions. So the imagery associated with the haggis is more of an issue then what actually is in it. I'd rather eat a haggis from my butcher then eat a pizza with mechanically rendered and formed meat on it.

Adam & Jack, lmao, thanks for the humour! Indeed, Adam, I agree with you about haggis, for those that eat sausage, there is little to be squeamish about with haggis.

Endy', I believe they are open at lunch, but I have no idea of how busy it is. I've only been once and don't know the area well at all. I think they are closed Sunday and Monday.

edited for spelling

Edited by Jake (log)

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

hey, much appreciated! And I even did try to do a search myself ;)

I went on the hunt for a diner serving all-day breakfasts or the like just now...couldn't find anything nearby (and Bloomsbury Cafe, formerly on Leslie, is gone now :/). I'll give the fish&chips...or maybe the haggis a try tomorrow :)

Why not eat both fish & chips and haggis??? I did!!! (insert "oink" emoticon)

Please report back on your visit.

...the imagery associated with the haggis is more of an issue then what actually is in it. I'd rather eat a haggis from my butcher then eat a pizza with mechanically rendered and formed meat on it.
Yes, good point. And this is what makes haggis interesting. It's also revealing what people find or don't find appetising, isn't it?

No one will probably care about this - but I remember growing up we never had chicken because my dad couldn't stand it after my grandfather killed my dad's pet chicken one day for dinner. Chicken is such a staple in so many countries, but for me it's still unusual or sometimes worse.

I had a look at the site and wondered,

(1) What is the the secret fresh white filet and why, or how could they keep it secret?

I haven't been there yet, but my guess is farmed tilapia.

(2) There is a lot of non-food Scottish memorabilia on the site, so I wonder if the restaurant has a tourist-trap front end? I couldn't find any references to clans or tartans for my name, Wrightman.

(3) The menu has good, plain Scottish food, but it is bit stodgy, and not very adventurous.

But I'll visit soon, and order the secret white filet, and the haggis.

Why not eat both fish & chips and haggis???  I did!!!  (insert "oink" emoticon)

Please report back on your visit.

because napping at work is frowned upon :laugh:

I notice from that menu they have black sausage, which I'm interested in...and they're close enough to make the trip at lunch fairly often anyway...so I'll pace myself :)

I had a look at the site and wondered,

(1) What is the the secret fresh white filet and why, or how could they keep it secret?

I haven't been there yet, but my guess is farmed tilapia.

(2) There is a lot of non-food Scottish memorabilia on the site, so I wonder if the restaurant has a tourist-trap front end? I couldn't find any references to clans or tartans for my name, Wrightman.

(3) The menu has good, plain Scottish food, but it is bit stodgy, and not very adventurous.

But I'll visit soon, and order the secret white filet, and the haggis.

The secret fish is likely tilapia or perhaps whitefish (Olde Yorke uses this).

The site seems to be run by someone else. There is no "tourist-trap front end" and nothing for sale save the items on the menu at the restaurant. There are likely better sites for researching clans and tartans, but that would be off topic.

The menu is definitely not what I would call adventurous, nor I believe, is it intended to be. I'll ask some of the guys from across the pond to weigh in here, but I wouldn't expect a visit to a local fish & chip shop to be adventurous. In this case, I think the owners are trying to offer a traditional, plain menu.

Do let us know about the white filet if you try it. I hope you enjoy the haggis.....all this talk I'm going to have to return soon!

just got back. Liked the fries (thick, meaty, skin-on); had the black pudding (blood and oatmeal stuffed in a sausage, whole thing then battered and fried) which was just alright. I hadn't had it before, so I'm glad I had the chance to try it, but I probably wouldn't order it again.

I'll go back for fish and/or haggis in a week or 2.

Ah, but the legs on one side are longer than the other since they only run one way around the hill

Jackal10, you're absolutely right - the haggises I've seen here in Scotland during the last seven years indeed have shorter legs on one side than on the other :biggrin:

PS On a more serious note - the best haggis is by MacSween of Edinburgh (http://www.macsween.co.uk/), but they only deliver within the European Union, I'm afraid:(

"http://www.macsween.co.uk/"

My mother used to say the same...

But I have it on very good authority that the quality has dropped substantially over the past 10 years.

Mmm. The quality has been stably (is that a word?) good for the last 7 years:) So if there has been a drop, that must have been 7-10 years ago :blink: But then I only have it about once every two months, so not such a huge expert at all.. I enjoy both their traditional and the vegetarian version.

"http://www.macsween.co.uk/"

My mother used to say the same...

But I have it on very good authority that the quality has dropped substantially over the past 10 years.

Mmm. The quality has been stably (is that a word?) good for the last 7 years:) So if there has been a drop, that must have been 7-10 years ago :blink: But then I only have it about once every two months, so not such a huge expert at all.. I enjoy both their traditional and the vegetarian version.

I'm not sure I believe you, and since we can't order it perhaps you should send a care package -- for comparison purposes of course. :raz:

I'm not sure I believe you, and since we can't order it perhaps you should send a care package -- for comparison purposes of course.  :raz:

Why do I have a feeling that may be illegal, Jake? :rolleyes:Otherwise I'd be happy to - have already one Canadian haggis-delivery-request pending..

Ummm, illegal noooooo not really (as she bats eyelashes at crusty customs officer). Seriously, some people don't consider it edible, so you wouldn't actually be smuggling FOOD, right?

Of course, in the interest of legality, you could hand deliver it and inform customs it is a special scottish sculpture from a renowned artist (technically sorta true....) :biggrin::biggrin: