• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in Oahu before late flight out

Susan

I have a flight out of Oahu on a Sunday night at 10:45 PM. I have some time to kill before the flight and thought I would have dinner somewhere not too far from the aiport. I had reservations at Alan Wongs, but they are closing for some renovations during that time. Right now I am looking at either Mariposa or L'Uraku. Any feedback on either of these restaurants? We really don't want to get get dressed up since we want to be comfortable on the plane and I don't want to be too far from the airport, but I would like a really good dinner. Thanks.

Susan

I don't think you could go wrong with L'Uraku. Here's a review that might be useful to you.

L'Uraku Review at HawaiiDiner.com

I may be a little biased since one of the meals that was reviewed was my birthday lunch, but the food is consistently good, the atmosphere is charming and the service is friendly.

Mariposa is also good, but the best thing about it is the view and since you'll be there at night, that won't matter.

WELCOME FRAN :smile: I see you just did your first post!

Mariposa is definitely the place for LUNCH. Dinner is lackluster and dissappointing at best.

None of the classic touches were in place when we ate there, no popovers with the flavored

butter, no consomme, and it is DARK and cavernous, the lighting is depressing. During the day

the view is fabulous and the food with the classic touches make for a wonderful experience.

I would second L'Uraku as an excellent choice. They have this delicious cucumber cocktail that

even though it is cold here with winter and all it is so refreshing and cheerful!

Hope you have a great time during your trip! A hui hou! :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

WELCOME FRAN :smile: I see you just did your first post!

Mariposa is definitely the place for LUNCH. Dinner is lackluster and dissappointing at best.

None of the classic touches were in place when we ate there, no popovers with the flavored

butter, no consomme, and it is DARK and cavernous, the lighting is depressing. During the day

the view is fabulous and the food with the classic touches make for a wonderful experience.

I would second L'Uraku as an excellent choice. They have this delicious cucumber cocktail that

even though it is cold here with winter and all it is so refreshing and cheerful!

Hope you have a great time during your trip! A hui hou! :wink:

I enjoyed Kenji's (I think that's it?) At any rate, its the restaurant that took over Sansei, in Restaurant Row. I also like 3660 On the Rise for an old standby. It's further than Restaurant Row, but given that it's Oahu, you can just hop on the H-1 on ramp up the street.

L'Uraku is definitely good, too. Agreed re: Mariposa for dinner--they have an excellent lunch, but I think dinner is sub par.