• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Good Liquor Stores in NYC

gethin

if you're not willing to make the trek out to Red Hook (like me -- without decent subway access there is no way), then as suggested above, Astor Place and Warehouse Liquors are your best bet.

Warehouse has the best prices in the city and an eclectic selection that varies from week to week. I scored Carpano Antica there once for like $14.

Astor Place has a much better selection but higher prices (except for sales --like the one on Plymouth right now).

However, the best selection in Manhattan overall is probably Sherry Lehmann uptown. It was the only place where I could find Parfait Amour....

However, the best selection in Manhattan overall is probably Sherry Lehmann uptown.  It was the only place where I could find Parfait Amour...

Really? I've seen the odd bottle of Parfait Amour at UWS liquor stores of no particular distinction.

Sherry-Lehmann does have a good selection, although their prices are among the highest and they tend to be not so great for high quality mixing ingredients. They do seem to be the place to go for things like cognac and agmagnac, though.

Another expensive store with lots of high-end spirits is the Park Avenue Liquor Shop, which is ironically located on Madison Avenue. They have one of the best selections of single malt scotch in the City, and many high-end bourbons, ryes, etc.

--

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I ended up visiting all three of Crossroads, Warehouse and Astor (and a couple more besides), and bought the Luxardo Maraschino ($22) and Sazerac Rye ($26) at Warehouse. I also picked up a bottle each of Regan's and Peychaud's bitters at Pegu Club. I guess the first order of business now is to make a Sazerac!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

arguably, Pernod is a closer substitute.

but then, if you wanted to be a complete purist, you should use cognac, not rye. (the Sazerac switched to rye about 1880 due to a bad grape crop in France making cognac temporarily unavailable)

arguably, Pernod is a closer substitute.

but then, if you wanted to be a complete purist, you should use cognac, not rye.  (the Sazerac switched to rye about 1880 due to a bad grape crop in France making cognac temporarily unavailable)

If you're wanting to be THAT much of a purist, then omit the absinthe as well and just make a cognac old-fashioned with peychaud's bitters.

But seriously, while a brandy Sazerac is a fine enough drink, it only becomes a classic with Rye.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 5 months later...

so I stopped into Warehouse Liquors on University place and 7th yesterday for some, um, essentials, and I noticed that they've greatly expanded their liquor collection...a bunch of ryes and bourbons they hadn't had before as well as some harder-to-find liqueurs. they've always had the lowest prices in Manhattan but over the last six months they've been expanding their selection a great deal (i.e. they only used to stock Stock maraschino and now they've added Luxardo...etc.).

exceptional deals on gin as well.

it's still not Astor Place or Sherry-Lehmann but it's getting there. (and the prices: Plymouth at $14 for a 750ml, Lagavullin 15 at $40 ($60 elsewhere)...etc.)

and though I'm stocked up for now...since creme de violette is supposed to be distributed to New York starting July 1...I'm going to harp on them to stock that as well.

Astor has a huge selection. LeNells has a fairly interesting selection, although it's not very big (they tend to stock based on quality rather than quantity).

[EDIT: University and 7th, Nathan? News to me. ;) ]

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"