• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Good Liquor Stores in NYC

gethin

Astor is 4th and Lafayette... having moved out of their Astor Place store last year.

Warehouse is 8th and Bway.

Warehouse is actually closer to Waverly, but that's really nitpicky of me to say. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or does there seem to be a temporary Luxardo Maraschino shortage in New York City? Can't seem to find it anywhere, but have only checked online inventory. Astor, Union Square Wine & Spirits, and Beacon all list it as out of stock (I have seen and purchased it at those three places previously).

Is it just me or does there seem to be a temporary Luxardo Maraschino shortage in New York City?  Can't seem to find it anywhere, but have only checked online inventory.  Astor, Union Square Wine & Spirits, and Beacon all list it as out of stock (I have seen and purchased it at those three places previously).

I bought a bottle at Astor yesterday (Wednesday) evening, but there appeared to be only one other bottle on the shelf. So if you can get to Astor today, you might still be in luck.

Michael Dietsch

adashofbitters.com

Is it just me or does there seem to be a temporary Luxardo Maraschino shortage in New York City?  Can't seem to find it anywhere, but have only checked online inventory.  Astor, Union Square Wine & Spirits, and Beacon all list it as out of stock (I have seen and purchased it at those three places previously).

they had it at Warehouse Liquors the other week.

also check Columbus Circle and Sherry Lehmann

Nathan, you mean the Warehouse on lower B'way near Astor, right?  I didn't realize they carried Luxardo there.  Thanks.

they used to just carry Stock but added Luxardo several months ago. they've fantastically added to their inventory of late...and at their prices...should always be checked first before going to astor.

USQW had it in their store today (I popped in while running errands to replenish my Vya dry stock).

My question is: Who (other than LeNells) regularly carries Vya Sweet vermouth?

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

so Violette's been available for a few months from Liquors de France.

but a couple weeks ago word on the street was that Creme de Violette, Arack and Swedish Punsch were all going to be available in NYC....about now. anyone know who they're distributing to (ideally someone other than LeNell's...that's a rough commute for me).

You might be experienceing the same phenomenon I did in Philly not too long ago. Apparently a lot of the bigger chain restaurants (Capital Grille, for example) have recently decided to include Luxardo Maraschino on their bars, so basically the entire supply in the city got snapped up by the bigger players, leaving the small independent restaurants and bars hung out to dry in terms of getting any. It was backordered for weeks the last time I tried to order it in May. We got three bottles at that time, after waiting several weeks for the new container to arrive from Italy.

The upside to all this is that when my restaurant closed a few weeks ago I was able to purchase the two unopened bottles from the cellar and they're now sitting in my bar at home. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 7 years later...

Hi to all of you,

I'm from Germany and I've been enjoying (quality) spirits and cocktails for a couple of years now.

I was wondering if you would be so kind to give me some advice on where to buy quality spirits in NYC, preferably Manhattan. Relatives of mine are going to be visiting NYC and it would be a great opportunity to get my hands on some spirits that are not available here. It would certainly be a big help if they knew where to look for, as you can imagine, I can't ask them to spend most of their time hunting for liquor.

On top of my priority list is some Lost Spirits rum (Polynesian Inspired > Navy Style). Thanks to Bryan Davies of Lost Spirits, I know that Astor Wine & Spirits in NYC is definitely a place worth visiting as they not only retail these coveted rums but also list some other interesting stuff (Solerno, Van Oosten Batavia Arrak,...). Plus, it's in Manhattan, so my folks shouldn't have too much trouble dropping by. But I'm still in need of a store where I can get Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry Bitters and (I fear this could be a tough one) Tempus Fugit Abbott's Bitters. Any help would be appreciated.

You may want to view the online portals of all the larger New York stores.  You would know exactly what they have and could even order in advance.  In fact I would look at the online portals of all US stores that offer a wider range of fare.  In NYC there is Park Avenue liquors, Astor and Drinkup NY. Nationally I would add at least K & L and Hitime Wines.  I think most of the New York stores deliver with little or no cost in the city and the national stores could deliver to their hotel or to a local fedex or ups.  If ordering outside of NYC just order at least a week early and let the delivery service know who and when they will be claiming it so they will hold it longer than usual.  Also add Cocktail Kingdom to the list.

Edited by Moto (log)

You may want to view the online portals of all the larger New York stores.  You would know exactly what they have 

Not necessarily. In-house inventories tend to change a lot faster than on-line updates.

In any event, Astor and the others mentioned above are a good start.

For hard-to-find bitters, Kalustyan's has a quite large selection.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks for your replies.

I have been browsing quite some online portals and have found the Woodford Bitters at Crush Wine and Spirits. That will do. They don't list the Abbott's Bitters, but LS Navy Style Rum, Sazerac and Woodford Rye instead. So, plenty of stuff to choose from.
In terms of feasibility, Astor and Crush is a good combination.

Check Amor y Amargo for hard to find bitters.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour