• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

March, Jean George or Lespinasse

quinn

I would appreciate thoughts on which of these restaurants you would recommend for a celebratory dinner (for two). I have eaten at March, once, a number of years ago, and did not find it overly impressive (service was poor and the food was adequate but not outstanding), but I am wondering if things have changed--for the better. It would be my last choice of these three, unless someone comes forward with a strong recommendation. The real question for me is between Lespinasse and Jean Georges (sorry for the typo "Jean George" in the post title). I haven't been to either one for almost two years--but have loved my experiences at each one--and wonder if anyone has some recent experiences they would share. (I have read the recent Lespinasse thread and less recent March thread.) The wine list, or possible food and wine pairing (in the case of March), is not important this time round, if that would affect your consideration. I'm familiar with the atmospheres of each, so I am really looking for thoughts on the menus this time of year and recent overall impressions. Thanks for the help!

I'm a huge fan of Lespinasse, and I think at its best it's better than Jean Georges. But Jean Georges is more reliable in my opinion and I therefore recommend it more often. Right now I think it's the best restaurant overall in the category. March is not in the same league.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm with Tommy. I think March can't be beat for dinners for two. It has an intimate feel that is nice for that particular number, and I've always found the food to be excellent.

I think Jean Georges is more interesting than Lespinasse, and the room is more to my taste than Lespinasse, so it would be my second choice.

My two most recent meals at Lespinasse and Jean-Georges has me leaning towards J-G. But in general, I think that J-G is the best restaurant in the city. March isn't in the same category as the other two, although you can have a pleasant meal there and the sapce can be nice.

I completly agree with Lesley.

I had dinner at March in september

The service was very good but the food...

Some of it was good ( lobster poached with beaumes de venise sauce) but, most of what we received this evening didn't impressed me.

And yes, the desserts were very weak, both in conception and in execution. I would personnaly go to Bluehill were Micheal Anthony ( formerly March sous-chef), now chef, is doing some very interesting food.

Patrice Demers