• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scharffen Berger Chocolate Factory Tour

coda

I will be visiting the Bay area this week. I am planning on going on the Schraffen Berger Chocolate factory tour on Sunday. First of all, is the tour worth it? Secondly, can anyone suggest any places nearby for Sunday Brunch or Lunch? Thanks!

yes, it's free and worth every penny. (sorry--couldn't resist)

i have taken people on that tour 4 or 5 times, which means i've been on it even more times...it's still enjoyable to see the handcraftedness of the product--simple, one person at a time production--and, of course, the aroma.

go while you can--each time i'm in the area, i'm afraid that their insurance regs will change and they will cease the tour.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The factory has an adjacent bistro that is quite nice -- you may need reservations there as well. The closest nearby eateries are on 4th street and include Cafe Rouge and Bette's, both pretty decent. They are NOT within walking distance. The factory is in an industrial part of town and there is not much to eat nearby.

hi carolyn--do you mean one run by scharffenberger? if so, it was built, opened briefly and "closed for remodeling"...i was there in late january, hoping to see the bistro, as it hadn't been finished on my previous visit. but we were told it had closed, and would re-open "soon"...but it didn't sound convincing.

if you aren't talking about that one, i'd love to know about the one of which you speak! thanks.

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

If you don't already have reservations for the tour, I'd suggest calling ASAP. It's very popular and often sold out.

~A

I have a reservation. Thanks!

In terms of a place to eat... It does not need to be within walking distance. Just in Berkeley will do!

Cherie;

You are correct -- their website says that Cafe Cacao is closed until the end of February. The last time I was there was at the end of last year and hadn't realized it was closed.

I hope the reopen soon -- great sandwiches and amazing desserts!

i've heard scharffen's been acquired by hershey's... any news on how it might/might not be affected by the "new management?"

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

right, they were recently acquired, but so far (at least as of late jan), the tours still continue, and the chocolate is the same. i worry that the artisinal aspect will fade away, so i encourage anyone to poke their head in while the bars are still being poued 5 at a time by a real human.

www.chezcherie.com