• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dish or Mahogany Grille

bgut1

I need a quick recommendation for dinner this weekend. Three are on my short list are: Dish, Mahogany Grille and Teak. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

per rosie, from NJ Monthly, Dish closed. your choice just got easier. unless you're talking about another Dish, in which case i'm of no help whatsoever.

That's Dish in Passaic while I'm considering Dish in Red Bank. I appreciate the heads up however.

I've been to Teak and Mahoganny. IMO, Mahoganny is a much better restaurant. Although people speak favorably of Teak, I wasn't too impressed. However, the mojitos at Teak were quite good. Teak is more about the scene than the food.

I haven't been to Dish yet (its on my short list). If you decide to stay in Red Bank, I'd go with Dish, which I've heard good things about, over Teak.

I've been to Dish in Red Bank. The food's excellent. The restaurant is rather small, tables are very close, and when the room is fully occupied, the noise level is very high. There is absolutely no place to wait comfortably for a table, and they take reservations only during the week. It's a BYO and smokefree (the latter important to know until April 15).

Dish's Website

jsfein, Oceangroveguy, =mark, & rozrapp - Thank you all for your advice. I have confirmed your opinion about Carmines with friends and therefore removed it from the list. As I am sure you all can appreciate, due to the fact that 3 couples are going out for dinner, each has their own opinion as to where to go. The general consensus now is Bistro Ole or the Melting Pot. I know many people on this board adore BO, but the one and only time I was there I did not enjoy my meal and have yet to be back. While the portions were huge and the prices where right, I didn't enjoy the food (a disappointing paella entree and a scallop/potato pancake appetizer which had too much going on on the plate). As far as Melting Pot is concerned, it pains me to say that I really enjoy the place. It’s far from gourmet but its fun . How can you go wrong with cheese and chocolate fondues? My only gripe is the cost. You can't get out of there without spending $75-$100 a person with drinks. Would you believe the Melting Pot has been solidly booked since the beginning of the week? It looks like I may have to go Bistro Ole kicking ands screaming. :smile: The things you do for friends.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I didn't get to try any of these restuarants over the past weekend due to a family emergency. I do however understand that the remaining couples did dine at Bistro Ole and enjoyed their meals very much. Oh well, there is always next weekend.

The last couple of times I tried to dine at Bistro Ole on a weekend, there was more than a 2 hour wait for a table. Now I've eaten there several times, mainly during the week, and found their meals to be enjoyable. That being said, there are few restaurants that are good enough in my estimation to devote a two hour wait, even in nice weather (BO's foyer is maybe double the size of an old phone booth). I'm sorry, the food is good, and I like being minced over by Rico as much as any other srraight guy, but the small, loud dining room and 2 hour wait for a table can not be justified. I'll still dine there but only during the week. On the weekend I'll wander over to Moonstruck instead...

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The last couple of times I tried to dine at Bistro Ole on a weekend, there was more than a 2 hour wait for a table.  Now I've eaten there several times, mainly during the week, and found their meals to be enjoyable.  That being said, there are few restaurants that are good enough in my estimation to devote a two hour wait, even in nice weather (BO's foyer is maybe double the size of an old phone booth).  I'm sorry, the food is good, and I like being minced over by Rico as much as any other srraight guy, but the small, loud dining room and 2 hour wait for a table can not be justified.  I'll still dine there but only during the week.  On the weekend I'll wander over to Moonstruck instead...

good point ... I wholeheartedly agree.

• 9 months later...
The last couple of times I tried to dine at Bistro Ole on a weekend, there was more than a 2 hour wait for a table.  Now I've eaten there several times, mainly during the week, and found their meals to be enjoyable.  That being said, there are few restaurants that are good enough in my estimation to devote a two hour wait, even in nice weather (BO's foyer is maybe double the size of an old phone booth).  I'm sorry, the food is good, and I like being minced over by Rico as much as any other srraight guy, but the small, loud dining room and 2 hour wait for a table can not be justified.  I'll still dine there but only during the week.  On the weekend I'll wander over to Moonstruck instead...

good point ... I wholeheartedly agree.

Wow ... what took me so long to try Dish? What a great restaurant. We dined there this Saturday and snagged a table at about 8:30 PM (we were able to call ahead and have them "hold" a table even though they don't take reservations on Saturday). While the service left a lot to be desired (i.e. we waited 15 min after being seated until someone even acknowledged we were there), the food was fantastic. The reason I hesitated going to this place was that the menu seemed quite pedestrian and really didn't do anything for me. However, after reading many posters' raves we decided to try it tonight. Every dish was exemplary, from the fried calamari (greasless and with a perfect tomato sauce ...Rao's?), to the sesame crusted tuna to the short ribs. The only disappointment (if you can say that) was the crab cakes (good but not great). And how about two of the best tasting desserts I have ever had. The bread pudding and the largest slice of coconut cake. Man was this place gooood. BTW, an added bonus was that this place was BYO and we brought along a phenomenal 2003 SA Prum S.K. Riesling Kabinet. The moral of this story ... don't judge a restaurant by its menu. :biggrin:

Edited by bgut1 (log)