• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunchtime in Teaneck

whitetrufflechick

My co-workers and I have exactly 45 minutes to leave this building (right off Rte. 4 on Teaneck Road), get in the car, drive somewhere, order and eat and return. We go to East frequently (yes, frequently as in every day last week) because its quick and convenient. We are now completely and utterly sick of East. We're not interested in 'fast food' (in the McDonalds/Wendy's sense) though it does need to be fast (as in quick). We've tried Veggie Heaven on Cedar Lane and the results were not good.

I'm tired of tossing the question around with them every day and ending up at East anyway for lack of a good alternative. I now toss the question over to Egullet.

We've considered:

Liberty Cafe (not interested in the fare - its basically a little deli)

Englewood Restaurants (too far for 45 mins)

Riverside Square (too far)

Any suggestions??? Lunch is at precisely noon and we have to get out of this building (it makes the day go SO much quicker)!

I think that Lotus Cafe in Hackensack is just across the Hack river to you, amidst all the controversy that the place has stirred up this week.

P.S. Maybe you could have a "labor action" to squeeze out an hour from the place? :biggrin:

Edited by menton1 (log)

I think that Lotus Cafe in Hackensack is just across the Hack river to you, amidst all the controversy that the place has stirred up this week. 

P.S. Maybe you could have a "labor action" to squeeze out an hour from the place?  :biggrin:

Thanks Menton. Alas, in a school environment (as all teachers know), there's not much flexibility when it comes to lunch period and getting back to school in time for the bell signaling the next class. I wish Lotus was on Teaneck Road, but where it is, I think the traveling wastes precious minutes.

Don't quote me on this, but a few years ago, when I was delivering auto parts, I recall that there were some Korean restaurants in Bergenfield just off of the Bergenfield exit on 4. I don't know the proximity to you, but it wasn't too far from Holy Name Hospital. I think that there was a Han Ah Reum or otherwise Korean supermarket in the area and can't recall anything exactly, so this would merit a reconnaisance run on a weekend if you're in the area. Don't go on my recommendation alone, because I'm not even sure if they're still in business. It was past the National Guard Armory if it's on your right side... I know it's not much to go on, so hopefully it helps a little.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Give Lotus Cafe another thought. It's right off of Rt 4. Even if you built in 10 minutes each way(figuring time in and out of the buildings), they serve pretty quickly because they are used to business lunch traffic. You could even order ahead of time and have it ready for you for when you anticipate you will arrive. Just ask them and I'm sure they would go for that; but in any event they can prepare stuff pretty quickly if you ask. If it's there when you get there then you have 25 minutes for a leisurely lunch.

I've gone there from Oradell and been done in under an hour, and Oradell is further than where you are.

There's Namaskaar(Indian) a few minutes further up Rt 4 but I'm thinking that's too far. But I think they have a buffet, so everything would be ready for you.

What about White Manna in Hackensack on River Road? Is that too far?

On Cedar Lane, next to the Veggie Heaven is Taipei Noodle House. That has some decent stuff. There's also another Chinese place not too far away from there that was also not bad(name escapes me-something Hunan), I think a couple of blocks closer to you.

Some thoughts...

India chef may work for you, in out, good fast indian food if you order from the back area where it's pre-made/warmed! Good stuff and close-by too. Also you may want to try Baja Fresh for something different? Were you just looking for a sit-down? Also I used to work off or Rt 4 one block in myself and for a fast and tasty bite of pizza try Hillman's in Maywood, wang-wang supertaco or the Maywood Seafood Market! Both are pretty fast and good too, wang-wang delivers.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

When you say you are not interested in fast food, does that mean just chains.. Because you are very close to White Manna Burger in Hackensack... And there is also a pizza place by there that I have heard Jason Perlow mention.. The name escapes me..

1: Start out going WEST on EMERSON AVE toward SUSSEX RD. 0.2 miles Map

2: Turn LEFT onto NORTHUMBERLAND RD. 0.3 miles Map

3: Turn LEFT onto RIVER RD / CR-17. 0.7 miles Map

4: Turn RIGHT onto CEDAR LN / CR-62. Continue to follow CR-62. 0.3 miles Map

5: Turn LEFT onto CR-503 / RIVER ST. 0.2 miles Map

6: End at 358 River St

Hackensack, NJ 07601-5817, US Map

Total Est. Time: 6 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1.88 miles

Edited by Daniel (log)

When you say you are not interested in fast food, does that mean just chains.. Because you are very close to White Manna Burger in Hackensack... And there is also a pizza place by there that I have heard Jason Perlow mention.. The name escapes me..

1: Start out going WEST on EMERSON AVE toward SUSSEX RD. 0.2 miles Map

2: Turn LEFT onto NORTHUMBERLAND RD. 0.3 miles Map

3: Turn LEFT onto RIVER RD / CR-17. 0.7 miles Map

4: Turn RIGHT onto CEDAR LN / CR-62. Continue to follow CR-62. 0.3 miles Map

5: Turn LEFT onto CR-503 / RIVER ST. 0.2 miles Map

6: End at 358 River St

Hackensack, NJ 07601-5817, US  Map

Total Est. Time: 6 minutes    Total Est. Distance: 1.88 miles

That's the problem with computer mapping; from Teaneck Rd to River St, on a good day, with little traffic and not stopping for too many traffic lights, it would take about 12 minutes. That's 24 minutes travel time, on a 45 min lunch. And if traffic is heavy, it can take 18 mins. I think the original poster would go to Lotus Cafe, in the same direction, if there wasn't a time problem. Are there any restos now on Ft Lee Road in Bogota? I haven't been down there in a while...