• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef on Kimmel-what?!?

philadining

The Garbage Plate thread ended up diverting into a general western-NY food binge, so I figured it might call for torturing the fine residents of Manhattan with a yet another topic about food they'll never encounter...

There was special enthusiasm in that other thread for the not nearly famous enough "Beef on 'Wick"

gallery_23992_2291_51169.jpg

I believe the traditional, more German, term would be kummelweck but I've seen it more commonly written and pronounced both kimmelwick and kimmelweck, but whichever way you spell it, it's a fine sandwich.

There seems to be some variation in the style of the roast beef, apparently it's sometimes served carved fresh from a roast, but I'm more familiar with sliced beef kept warm in a thin jus. But in any case, it's hot meat, some intense horseradish, and that special roll.

It's really all about the roll, which is in some ways like a typical kaiser, but seems a bit lighter and airier to me, but with a texture that can hold up to the plentiful juices. Most obviously, it's distinguished by the abundant caraway seed and coarse salt that coat the top.

gallery_23992_2291_53459.jpg

These rolls are unusual outside of Buffalo, but can be found in Rochester, and occasionally further east. I was thrilled to find the ones pictured above in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA, but only because we have a branch of the Rochester-based Wegman's grocery store. Interestingly, they were labeled "kaiser rolls".

The story goes that tavern owners would provide these sandwiches free of charge, they were so salty that they'd sell lots of beer. And I don't doubt it, they are indeed thirst-inducing. But man, they're tasty...

I've usually gotten the sandwiches at family parties in the general Buffalo area, and at small diner-ish places between Rochester and Buffalo. I personally have never had one at some dumpy bar in Buffalo, so I might not have even had the "real thing." For what it's worth, here's an AOL CityGuide debate about the best places in Buffalo.

If you have the opportunity, have one, you'll be hooked. Just don't spare the horseradish!

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

i buddy of mine is from buffalo and turned me on to it years ago. it a really great combo between the roll,,beef and horseradish! u also need some of the beef juices to dip. nice sandwich!

Reminds me of the ol' BW3 - Buffalo Wings & Weck. (Are those places still around? There were a few scattered about southern and central Ohio when I lived there.)

Nice photos!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Reminds me of the ol' BW3 - Buffalo Wings & Weck.  (Are those places still around? There were a few scattered about southern and central Ohio when I lived there.)

All the ones I've seen during my last few sojourns have been renamed "Buffalo Wild Wings." I guess the Weck is no more, and they're now only BW2?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

As I mentioned in the Garbage Plate thread - Bonnie's in Park Slope serves a beef on weck sandwich. (They also have great wings, as the owners from Buffalo.) I think they have their kimmelwick made specially for them down here - it's a tasty sandwich, though their burgers are even better.

Forgot to say Park Slope, Brooklyn

Edited by lambretta76 (log)

Your photography is makin me---Hungry!!!

As also mentioned in the Garbage plate thread--this is really a variation on the "French Dip" theme.

The big difference is the roll--I prefer "weck."

I have seen caraway and coarse salt on dinner rolls here in NYC (mainly in an elongated roll that seems like a cross between a bread stick and a traditional dinner roll.

This brings me to my point--in most every sandwich the key ingredient is the BREAD!

Here the French Dip is elevated by the use of the "weck." Not only does this unique roll add complexity--salt and caraway--but the "lightness" you refer to.

Many times I have seen attempts to replicate a regional sandwich fail mainly because of the bread.

For eg--it is near impossible to get a fair rendition of a Philadelphia Hoagie anywhere outside the Philly area mainly because the bread. Here in NYC we have "heros" "wedges" etc all of which fail IMOP against the Hoagie--the bread here is too dense!

Same for the muffaletta--most copies use bread that is dense and not airy like you get in N.O. area.--It ain't just the flavors--it is the consistency!

So too the "weck" relies on a special bread to make this sandwich something really special.

Simple!

(y'ad think)

Philadining,

You are cruel. Oh man, this brings back memories. I'm practically drooling all over the computer. There used to be a restaurant in downtown Albany that served this and it was the best sandwich I've ever eaten. The restaurant closed and I've yet to find a comparable beef on weck anywhere, even in the Buffalo area, which I visit once or twice a year. The roll definitely makes this sandwich...not just the flavor of the salt/caraway topping, but the texture of the topping against the au jus soaked bread underneath. Now I'm motivated to try baking it myself.

Ilene

Sorry about causing all those computer keyboards to short-out from drool pooling...

Beanie, if you feel like trying to bake them, just google kimmelwick and its spelling variations, you'll find lots of recipes for the rolls. I don't know if any of them get it right, but there are lots of ideas, at least.

Or, if I could find the rolls in Wegman's in Pennsylvania, they're probably widely available in that quietly expanding empire. No matter where you live, odds are there will be a store in your backyard soon. No really, I literally mean in your backyard. Oddly you'll be OK with it.

The Wegman's store-baked rolls are pretty darn good versions.

philadining.com

Sorry about causing all those computer keyboards to short-out from drool pooling...

Beanie, if you feel like trying to bake them, just google kimmelwick and its spelling variations, you'll find lots of recipes for the rolls.  I don't know if any of them get it right, but there are lots of ideas, at least. 

That's just what I did after writing my post. I have a few recipes and plan to try them out. It may take awhile, but I'll report back.

Or, if I could find the rolls in Wegman's in Pennsylvania, they're probably widely available in that quietly expanding empire. No matter where you live, odds are there will be a store in your backyard soon. No really, I literally mean in your backyard. Oddly you'll be OK with it.

I know Wegman's is expanding, but Price Chopper pretty much has the whole market in this part of NYS. Next time I travel west to the Rochester area, I'll remember to check out Wegman's. Thanks. :smile:

Ilene

The Wegmans' here in Hunt Valley, Md were offering kimmelwecks today from on of their hot food stands.

I contacted Wegman's through their website, asking if I could count on getting Kimmelwick rolls on a regular basis, or if it was a fluke that I found them in PA. I got a quick response saying that they are baked in-house and if I ever needed them, just contact the bakery manager and they'd make them available. I presume that would be true at any of the stores. So, as they quietly take over the world, you can probably get them more and more places.

The Wegman's Store locator....

philadining.com

I contacted Wegman's through their website,  asking if I could count on getting Kimmelwick rolls on a regular basis, or if it was a fluke that I found them in PA.  I got a quick response saying that they are baked in-house and if I ever needed them, just contact the bakery manager and they'd make them available. I presume that would be true at any of the stores. So, as they quietly take over the world, you can probably get them more and more places.

The Wegman's Store locator....

How much for that gobsmacker?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

How much for that gobsmacker?

Well, I made that sandwich at home, so...a couple of bucks?

And Holly, I too am curious whether they're made with rare roast beef in Buffalo. I saw a photo like that in an airline magazine once and it just looked weird to me, because I'm so used to getting them like pictured above. But as I think I mentioned, I've had them at family parties, and little greasy-spoons in the rural area in between Rochester and Buffalo, not right at point of origin...

philadining.com

• 6 months later...
Alas, I hae never had a Buffalo made beef on wick.  As appetizing as that sandwich looks, and I could see myself downing a few, what are the odds of finding rare beef on wick up Buffalo way?

Depends on where you go, Holly....

Charlie The Butchers is my favorite, although people also swear by Schwabl's...

At Charlies, it depends on how well the roast was done...sometimes they are pretty rare, sometimes a little past medium...personally I like 'em RARE. Charlies also has an incredible Prime Rib sandwich on Thursdays....

Trust me, take a road trip up here, its right up your alley...Beef on Weck, Wings, Teds Hot Dogs...more than enough to keep you eating for a few days!