• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DDC Gascony Dinner at Caribou Cafe

Rich Pawlak

I would be remiss if I didnt give kudos to Jim Tarantino (marinade) for designing

and hosting a fabulous Gascony dinner at Caribou Cafe last night. His

enthusiasm for the dinner, coupled with Chef Olivier de St. Martin's

passion for this cuisine made for a transcendent meal. Decadent foie

gras mousse appetizer with a bright, light salad; a homey, rich cabbage

soup, and a body-warming classic cassoulet, complete with duck confit

leg, sausage and lardons; a surprise palate cleanser of rosemary

sorbet, made by Tarantino himself (!); and a buttery evil apple tart

for dessert. Lovely wines as well.

The perfect dinner on a snowy, cold winter night. And

the best 40 dining companions anyone could ask for.

Kudos, Jim!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Yeah - but where's the picture of my half chewed duck leg? :biggrin:

No really folks. You missed a great one if you missed this. And who could have predicted perfect bone aching chilly cassoulet weather for the event? Everything was wonderful - the food, the wine (great pairings being offered by Caribou) and the company.

And that apple tart had a healthy hint of Calvados and a heap of butter in it! YUM!

Nicely done. A round of applause for Jim, Chef Olivier and the capable staff at Caribou Cafe!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A little late but much thanks to Bob for arranging this exemplary dinner. My wife had not been to a DDC dinner for a while and came with some trepidation but the food, new to her and me, won her over. Among the very best dinners DDC dinners and this was my twenty-third.

Worth the trip in less than ideal weather.

Thanks again.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

A little late but much thanks to Bob for arranging this exemplary dinner. My wife had not been to a DDC dinner for a while and came with some trepidation but the food, new to her and me, won her over. Among the very best dinners DDC dinners and this was my twenty-third.

Thanks again.

Who's Bob?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Does Jim have a middle name?

Actually my middle name is Danger (no relation to Nick).

Really loved that dinner. I was hanging out downstairs with Olivier for a little bit and he was gushing at all of the empty cassoulet crocks that were heading back to the kitchen. My wife says that a sure sign when a group of people like something is that the chatter stops, and sounds of utensil clatter builds. The lamb sausage had a slight garlicky kick to it but what seemed to balance that and some of the flavors in the dish was what I thought was quartre épices in that ever-so-smooth and perfectly emulsified sausage forcemeat. Olivier confirmed it, a pate in a tube.

Thanks for the nice acknowledgements and most of all thanks to all of you who came. I think it’s more dangerous eating without y’all and a lot less fun.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

Wish I had started this job earlier! This was right around the corner from me.

Oh, well...I've RSVPed for the Newark event but haven't gotten a confirmation from the host. I'd need a ride to that one.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks again.

Who's Bob?

Sorry I meant Jim. My mind does not always retain names. Thanks to Jim.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf