• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Bell Pepper Dip

Sam Salmon

A recent drop in the price of Bell Peppers led me to experiment

Roasted Red peppers mashed with lemon, garlic, chile, salt produced a very tasty dish.

Now Yellow peppers and Green ones look even more appealing-how to proceed to produce 3 different coloured dips?

I was thinking for all Yellow -maybe ginger, curry powder-what else?

Would sesame oil be overkill?

Green Peppers-certainly Jalapeños for kick, minced onion and.....?

Any/all relevant info/comment/opinion much appreciated

TIA

I make a red pepper dip that's quite simple. 4-5 large red bell peppers cored and chopped and then in the food processor until well chopped. I drain to remove most of the liquid and then into a pot to simmer. Add a little salt, sugar, red pepper flakes a small can of tomato paste and a little oil to give it a shine. Simmer for a few hours until thick. Refrigerate and enjoy on bread or crackers. The flavor of the red peppers really comes through. I love this stuff.

I don't know if this is what you are thinking but going with the flavor schemes for the yellow all of those flavors could blend in nicely with plain yogurt for a sort of indian flavored dip.

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

I was thinking for all Yellow -maybe ginger, curry powder-what else?
like the curry idea, but wouldn't really go with the other flavors so much. Maybe make a traditional salsa, but go with grilled/roasted flavors on this one, using onion, yellow tomatoes, banana peppers, garlic, olive oil, and a bit of sherry vinegar?
  Would sesame oil be overkill?
It'd impart a very asian flavor if you're going that route.
Green Peppers-certainly Jalapeños for kick, minced onion and.....?

ground, dried green new mexico chile powder, garlic powder, jalapenos/serranos for sure.

Bell pepper puree is very easy to make.

1. Line a roasting pan with a double-size piece of aluminum foil. Put 4 large bell peppers (about 2 pounds) in the pan and roast at 475, turning every 10 minutes with tongs, until they collapse, about 40 minutes.

2. Remove the pan, fold the foil over peppers and let cool. This goes faster if you remove the package to a platter or large plate.

3. Over a seive and bowl to catch the liquid, remove and discard the core, seeds and skin.

4. Put the pulp in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of the liquid and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Turn on the processor and slowly add 1/2 cup of EVOO. Taste and add salt and oil as necessary. Go easy on extra salt, to preserve the sweetness of the peppers.

You can add fresh herbs, cumin, chili powder, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, pesto, caramelized onion, etc., but the straight version is a pure and wonderful flavor. Make a lot more than you think will be eaten, as it will disappear instantly once guests get a taste. It also freezes well.

Red peppers are ripest and sweetest, but yellow ones are also fine. Use only a little bit of green ones, which are young and often bitter. Roast the peppers together but process them separately and swirl them together for serving.