• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Making Marmalade

Expat57

In case anyone's having a marmalade moment, my neighborhood Rice Epicurean store (12516 Memorial, west of Gessner) has got approximately 40 pounds of Seville oranges stashed in the back.

Their produce manager was kind enough to order some for me again this year, so I promised to get the word out--the smallest amount they can order is 50 pounds and while I took ten pounds off their hands, I don't think I can make much more marmalade than that this time around.

Go buy some . . . please? I adore home-made marmalade, and I'm worried that if they can't shift all those oranges, they'll have second thoughts about placing a special order next year.

I've only recently emerged from deepest, darkest lurkerdom, but if anyone has any questions about making the lovely stuff, do PM me.

Susan

I was just about to make some marmalade, when it occurs to me that I might make a low-sugar version to keep in the refrigerator (husband loves marmalade, but finds it a bit sweet when it is made to last over the hot, humid, monsoon season in Japan).

Do you have any idea how far you can reduce the sugar content and still get a reasonable set? (Doesn't matter if it's a tad runny, as keeping it in the fridge firms it up a little).

Thanks for the tip! I can never find Seville oranges. What are they selling for if you do not mind me asking?

And I would love your recipe. Can you please PM me with it or post a link to it if a link is available?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Yesterday, they charged me $3.99 lb.

Elie, this is the recipe I use, but it requires a pressure cooker for the initial steps--I just don't have the patience/time to make marmalade any other way.

http://www.davidgregory.org/home_made_sevi...armalade.htmone

If you've got a pressure cooker, or you can scrounge one, it really is the business.

Susan

Yesterday, they charged me $3.99 lb. 

Elie, this is the recipe I use, but it requires a pressure cooker for the initial steps--I just don't have the patience/time to make marmalade any other way.

http://www.davidgregory.org/home_made_sevi...armalade.htmone

If you've got a pressure cooker, or you can scrounge one, it really is the business.

Susan

Well, funny coincidence. After work today I stopped by Fiesta on Hillcroft and Bellaire to pick up some Thai ingredients -of all things- like fresh turmeric and also for a tub of fresh rendered lard. And to my surprise, there they were, sour Seville oranges! They sell them for $0.59/lb, so I picked up a few pounds and will be making marmalade soon. Maybe for next year you won't have to get a special order, just head over to Fiesta :smile: .

Thanks for the recipe, I have a similar one that does not use a pressure cooker.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

[. And to my surprise, there they were, sour Seville oranges! They sell them for $0.59/lb, so I picked up a few pounds and will be making marmalade soon. Maybe for next year you won't have to get a special order, just head over to Fiesta  :smile: .

Thanks for the recipe, I have a similar one that does not use a pressure cooker.

.59 a pound??

I know where I'm going next year! :hmmm:

I tried the Fiesta near me--I-10 and Blalock--but they didn't have a clue, so look for me in your neck of the woods, same time, next year.

Susan

[. And to my surprise, there they were, sour Seville oranges! They sell them for $0.59/lb, so I picked up a few pounds and will be making marmalade soon. Maybe for next year you won't have to get a special order, just head over to Fiesta   :smile: .

.59 a pound??

I know where I'm going next year! :hmmm:

I tried the Fiesta near me--I-10 and Blalock--but they didn't have a clue, so look for me in your neck of the woods, same time, next year.

Susan

When you go to Fiesta, don't say Seville Oranges. Instead ask for Sour Oranges or "Naranja Agria" in Spanish. That is what they had them labeled as. I actually took a little taste before buying to make sure they were Sevilles. They sure are.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog