• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North American charcuterie producers

Kent Wang

Did get to try Fra' Mani's Mortadella on Saturday, newly-stocked in the charcuterie case. Well worth a try - I'm wishing I'd brought home about 3x the ~1/3 lb. I bought. (Even sliced thin, it was only 9 slices.) No pistachio nuts as are found in other varieties, but they were not missed. The spicing was excellent.

I'd have shared a photo, but it didn't last long enough.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

• 3 months later...

I haven't posted in a while as I've nearly exhausted the entire selection at Central Market. There are still a few left, though:

gallery_36558_2964_50810.jpg

Ham

Pannonia (left): Rubbery, "hammy" texture. Minimal flavor, slight sour aftertaste. This is in comparison to the Vande Rose, which is just excellent. Compared to most other hams, it is quite good.

Vande Rose: The best ham I have ever tasted. Meat-like texture, instead of hammy rubberyness, where the grain and individual muscle fibers are much more distinct. Pork quality also appears to be superior, better marbling. Vande Rose is made with the Duroc breed. Slightly more flavorful, with more porcine character than the Pannonia. No aftertaste.

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

I finally got hold of a Fra’Mani Salametto, and took a few photos.

This is the way it’s wrapped:

Silly question - - I guess there are no silly questions - - Do you refrigerate the hard salami after cutting into it? Do you wrap the open end? How long does it last after opening.

Regarding La Quercia from Iowa: It's not really fair to compare to San Daniel or others - - it's kind of in a class of it's own - - it's prosciutto from Iowa, but it is an EXCELLENT good product. The Speck is particularly good.

As for pigs, he uses a lot of Organic Hogs (his pancetta is organic), and for some reason i think i remember hearing that he was taking some niman as well.

B

"Of all places, only at the table is the first hour never dull."

website

Latest Article

• 1 year later...

gallery_36558_2964_22044.jpg

Columbus cacciatore with porcini. Lots of porcini. Good value.

Silly question - - I guess there are no silly questions - - Do you refrigerate the hard salami after cutting into it?  Do you wrap the open end?  How long does it last after opening.

I would refrigerate it at all times. When eating, slice off a few pieces and (hopefully if you have time) let it come up to room temperature.