• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo milk mozzarella?

MJP

I'm dying for real mozzarella di bufala. I'd rather buy from a local producer rather than a faceless web site that might not even have the real thing. Does anyone know a decent, authentic buffalo milk mozzarella in NJ or the metro area? I don't mind driving a bit to get it, but it's gotta be as real as it gets.

Thanks in advance!

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I'm dying for real mozzarella di bufala.  I'd rather buy from a local producer rather than a faceless web site that might not even have the real thing.  Does anyone know a decent, authentic buffalo milk mozzarella in NJ or the metro area?  I don't mind driving a bit to get it, but it's gotta be as real as it gets. 

Thanks in advance!

Antonio's Mozzarella Factory in Springfield imports it. They also make some really great fresh water mozz in various sizes including Pearlini (small pearl like balls of Mozz.) theu have great prepared foods there to. It's on South Springfield ave in Springfield.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I have ordered the Bufala and the Burrata from I Gourmet and it is definitely the real thing.

It is also extremely fresh because they have a much faster turnover than most small shops.

I have yet to have a single complaint about anything I have ordered from them.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I bought some imported bufala at the uptown Fairway in Manhattan. You'll have to bear in mind that it was my first taste of the real thing, but it was a pretty transporting experience. So if someone's tried that and knows it's just eh compared to the REAL real thing, please please please show me the way!

Susan

Woodstock Water Buffalo in Vermont is the closest thing to local that you are likely to find. While it doesn't approach fresh mozzarella di bufala in Campania, it is pretty good. Their buffalo milk yoghurts are excellent.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've seen the yogurt at Whole Foods in Madison. Don't know about the cheese. Bet you could get them to order it in.

Edited for the spelling of yogurt. I thought they spelled it with an "h" after reading Doc's post but I was just on their site and they spell it the "normal" :biggrin: way so I changed it.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

I went to whole foods in Ridgewood and they had their "buffalo mozzarella" and roasted red peppers with olives in like an olive oil marinade in mini-cup samplers... it was sOOoooOOo delicious. I went back to buy it but they had sold out! LOL

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Have any of you ever had Ricotta di bufala? We had this in Positano, Italy. It was stuffed inside lightly fried zucchini flowers. Oh....MY....GOD!

That being said mozzarella di bufala in the US pales in comparison to Napoli as stated above. Try and find Lioni mozzarella di bufala. On the press page you can locate where it's sold near you

http://lionimozzarella.com/index.html

Also can be found at

Appetizzio's Italian Specialties and World Market

5 Ridge Road

Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

Phone: 201.939.1566

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

The Italian place at the Trenton Farmer's market has it, the place to the right of the kielbasi guy, not to the left. Sorry to be so imprecise. It's the stand with the coffee beans displayed towards the front.