• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Argan Oil

kguetzow

I recieved a bottle of Argan oil and some Amlou from my Moroccan friend. 

Does anyone have a favorite use for the oil?

Oh, you are a lucky one! I love Argan oil. Just dip some good bread in it, and enjoy!

I think I might have some recipes that use it somewhere...I'll take a look and get back to you.

I had never heard of Argan oil or of Amlou before now. Now that I've gone looking a bit, I see that they're the oil and a "butter" processed from the nuts of the Argan tree. Next question is, what are they like? Flavor? Should I begin to seek these items with total obsession, lest I die before experiencing them? Is this my excuse to plan a trip to Morocco?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I had never heard of Argan oil or of Amlou before now.  Now that I've gone looking a bit, I see that they're the oil and a "butter" processed from the nuts of the Argan tree.  Next question is, what are they like?  Flavor?  Should I begin to seek these items with total obsession, lest I die before experiencing them? Is this my excuse to plan a trip to Morocco?

The oil reminds me of a cross between almond, sesame and macadamia.

Its quite expensive.

He's a great friend. I showed him Paula Wolferts Baqqula herb jam recipe and his mom sent me some! Yay!

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bump this up, as I, too, just received a bottle of Argan oil as a gift, and I had never heard of it before.

Can anyone suggest any recipes to use it in? kguetzow, how did you end up trying it? I haven't found any recipes that call for it, and only have the back-of-the-bottle serving suggestions to work from. (They say dip bread in it, use it in salad dressings, add some to cooked pasta, plus a few other things I can't remember.)

If you are making a stew or soup, especially one inspired by Morrocan spices (cumin, cinnamon, etc.) with preserved lemons and the like, drizzle it onto the finished product as a garnish. Avoid heating it too much.

Use it as a finishing touch over steamed couscous, stewedl brown lentils or green beans, fruit tagines and salads.

To keep it from turning, be sure to store it in the refrigerator.

Should I begin to seek these items with total obsession, lest I die before experiencing them?

Smithy,

Check out www.berbersources.com. They import the only argan oil to win the slowfood award. You can't do better than that!

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.