• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let's Take Back Our Tastebuds!

zilla369

The Green Death?  I had a few friends who used to swear by the Grey Export loose tobacco--they said that Canada didn't do as much to its tobacco (put in as many additives) as the US companies did . . .  I think they eventually switched to whatever that US brand of allegedly untreated tobacco is.  Is it Export brand that was stronger or just the Green type?

Well, up here, Export "A" comes in a ton of different varieties - extra light's in a grey pack, light's blue, regular is copperish and then the "full flavor" comes in a rather sinister looking dark green pack (hence The Green Death). But I always thought the difference between lighter and heavier cigarettes was in the length of the filter - the tobacco doesn't really change from smoke to smoke within a brand. So I think the loose tobacco would be the same stuff that's in my old babies...

That said, a single Green Death (even the filtered ones) sure seems stronger than anything I'd compare it to (John Player Specials, Marlboro Reds, duMaurier Regulars, Player's Special Blend), and pretty much ensured that the kids I go to school with didn't bum too many smokes. Sometimes it's good to be the old man...

In quitting news, I made those retardedly easy seethed potatoes from Molly's All About Brasing yesterday - just the ones with a few cloves of garlic and a couple bay leaves and a little chicken stock - and they were so good I almost cried. This is like the eighth or ninth time I've made them, too - either I finally got it right or my buds, they're workin' a little different. And if it's just a placebo effect, I don't care :D

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

... Although I guess green tea doesn't have caffeine...is that right?  Maybe you're not getting as much caffeine as you're used to?

Green Tea does have caffeine: Caffeine content of tea

I buy it decaffeinated but it still has all the other good-for-you stuff in it.

I think the headache could definitely be a withdrawal symptom. It's a matter of waiting it out. It should go away over time. If not, see a doctor.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've got to stop reading this thread. For the last two nights I've had vivid dreams that I was smoking again & enjoying it. That (the vivid smoking dream) hasn't happened in well over a year.

Fortunately it's only a dream. But this is a sign that the urge never really goes away. You just ignore it.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've been lurking on this thread for a while. When I heard about Dana Reeve passing away this morning (lung cancer) at age 44, leaving a 13 yr old boy an orphan, my resolve to quit knows no bounds! I've ordered the book through my library's interlibrary loan service, and I will quit smoking. This sad, sad news was the proverbial straw. Good luck to all of us. And may Dana Reeve's son know only happiness in the future.

But this is a sign that the urge never really goes away.  You just ignore it.

Probably everybody is different, but that's not been the case for me. It did take several years, maybe even so many as five or six, but I not only no longer have the urge, the thought of intentionally sucking smoke down into my lungs makes me want to vomit.

And it also makes me feel very, very stupid.

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

How is everyone doing?

Tim Oliver

Pregnant.  I guess that's one way to quit, eh?  :rolleyes:

Many years ago, my mom was in the hospital for about a week. The doctors told her she had to stop smoking while she stayed there. When she was released, she didn't pick it up again and has remained smoke-free for over 30 years.

So this could be a very good beginning for you...

Not that I'm advocating for everyone to get pregnant so they'll stop smoking. :shock:

Tim Oliver

Pregnant.  I guess that's one way to quit, eh?   :rolleyes:

Many years ago, my mom was in the hospital for about a week. The doctors told her she had to stop smoking while she stayed there. When she was released, she didn't pick it up again and has remained smoke-free for over 30 years.

So this could be a very good beginning for you...

Not that I'm advocating for everyone to get pregnant so they'll stop smoking. :shock:

Kids... they're fun to make, and you can teach them to do stuff.

Yeah, this time seems different. I think I was really ready to quit and this has been just what I needed. This is actually my second child and, so far, this time has been a lot easier.

Oh, and my husband quit too. That makes a HUGE difference.

• 4 months later...

When this thread started as an offshoot of the Cold Turkey 3 Ways thread I was still in the no way no how gonna quit mode. Well its been 7 weeks since I bought any cigarettes.

Nothing tastes better but the dog sure does smell worse.

Anyone want to comment on their progress?

It will take 10 months at NJ cigarette prices for me to pay for the trip to Paris we just booked so I have to at least make it that far :shock:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I quit on January 27....the day I walked out of the most stressful job I have ever had, and also the day that a woman with emphysema moved in downstairs from me. All day, every day, all we hear is her hacking choking puking cough. Starts at 6 am and goes on all day until at least midnight. All she does is sit on the balconey, hack up her lungs and bitch to her partner about how bad her health is and how crappy she feels and why the hell did you put out that smoke? I wasn't finished with that *puff* *puff* *chokechokechoke*. It's disgusting. The stench of a hundred cigarettes a day wafting by the windows and the sounds of wretching are enough to turn anyone rabidly anti-tabacco. We can't even eat a meal on the deck or enjoy a glass of wine because of the smell and the sound. I can't believe this stupid cow has actually destroyed our enjoyment of our home to the point where we are trying to unload it and move away. The last three people that came to look at it heard her and just walked out the door. It's like a freaking nightmare. Smoking has completely destroyed our summer - and we don't even smoke anymore!!!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I quit on January 27....the day I walked out of the most stressful job I have ever had, and also the day that a woman with emphysema moved in downstairs from me.  All day, every day, all we hear is her hacking choking puking cough.  Starts at 6 am and goes on all day until at least midnight.  All she does is sit on the balconey, hack up her lungs and bitch to her partner about how bad her health is and how crappy she feels and why the hell did you put out that smoke? I wasn't finished with that *puff* *puff* *chokechokechoke*.  It's disgusting.  The stench of a hundred cigarettes a day wafting by the windows and the sounds of wretching are enough to turn anyone rabidly anti-tabacco.  We can't even eat a meal on the deck or enjoy a glass of wine because of the smell and the sound.  I can't believe this stupid cow has actually destroyed our enjoyment of our home to the point where we are trying to unload it and move away.  The last three people that came to look at it heard her and just walked out the door.  It's like a freaking nightmare.  Smoking has completely destroyed our summer - and we don't even smoke anymore!!!

Heaven help you if she's on oxygen and is still smoking....I've seen people nearly burn themselves to death by smoking while on oxygen. Hello...those warnings on the bottle???? I don't suppose you have any recourse with getting her to leave?

Heaven help you if she's on oxygen and is still smoking....I've seen people nearly burn themselves to death by smoking while on oxygen.  Hello...those warnings on the bottle????  I don't suppose you have any recourse with getting her to leave?

Oh Lord..I hadn't even thought of that...we were worried about her smoking in bed. We are trying to get her out...actually, we are kind of hoping she will die, but people like that don't, you know. They live for years torturing everyone around them.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Interesting thread, just found it, lost of good inspirational stuff here. As a recent quitee, 8 months in as I have kept up my New Years Resolution, its great to read. For me personally, food and smoking had a strong link. As probably many smokers will attest, I really enjoyed a cigarette after a good meal (or any meal for that matter :raz: ). This was one of the tougher things to deal with missing but at this point I feel pretty great about the progress I have made.

I know this whole post seems like a personal rah-rah session but I felt like adding my own personal experience to the mix.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I am so glad I found this thread. I quit smoking three weeks ago. However, on both weekends I have had relapses. It is SO HARD not to smoke when your friends are all smoking around you. I am still at the point where I can't be around cigarettes and unlike everyone else who suddenly thinks they smell horibble, every time I smell them it is like the most beautiful and inticing smell in the world. Yesterday I intentionally walked behind a man smoking a cigarette on the street just so I could inhale the magnificent aroma.

I suppose this will pass in time.

The lozenges are really helping me. I don't think I could do this without them. They taste like shit, but in a way that's a good thing because it will get me off them sooner.

I haven't noticed food tasting any different, but my sense of smell is definitely a bit stronger. I just generally feel better, too.

This coming weekend, I am determined not to smoke no matter what. -knock on wood- Wish me luck.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!