• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Mint Souffle

ghost

I am having some people over for dinner this weekend and was thinking of doing a chocolate mint souffle for dessert. Before I go off and start working on something from scratch, let me know if you've ever made something like it. I'd take any pointers! Extract or fresh mint? How much mint/extract to how much batter? Thanks1

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

I actually prefer (and find that most customers prefer) peppermint oil to fresh mint. Fresh mint has a distinctly grassy quality and mellow menthol flavor (unless you're talking black mint, which is pretty rippin'), which is nice for infusing creams for delicately flavored items. It tends to get lost when competing with stronger flavors, especially bitter chocolate.

Peppermint oil is so concentrated that you never need to use more than a 1/4tsp (unless you're making a really huge batch of whatever) so it won't affect the dry balance of a recipe, and it delivers that really bright menthol punch that most people associate with mint desserts (especially those raised on mint choc chip).

I personally would never bother with the extra steps involved with fresh mint in an application where it's nuances won't even be detectable.

I have a recipe for a Mint chocolate souffle from a master pastry chef who is quite famous. It uses "green peppermint liquor" or creme de menthe. The base is minty with folded in chocolate chunks. Never tried it myself...as i hate chocolate and mint together....but I would trust the source. PM me if you want the recipe

I actually prefer (and find that most customers prefer) peppermint oil to fresh mint. Fresh mint has a distinctly grassy quality and mellow menthol flavor (unless you're talking black mint, which is pretty rippin'), which is nice for infusing creams for delicately flavored items. It tends to get lost when competing with stronger flavors, especially bitter chocolate.

Peppermint oil is so concentrated that you never need to use more than a 1/4tsp (unless you're making a really huge batch of whatever) so it won't affect the dry balance of a recipe, and it delivers that really bright menthol punch that most people associate with mint desserts (especially those raised on mint choc chip).

I personally would never bother with the extra steps involved with fresh mint in an application where it's nuances won't even be detectable.

I'm with sethro.

Go to a store, maybe even a health food store, and yo can find a little bottle with a squeeze dropper.

I have a mint truffle on my menu and to 32 oz. of chocolate and 18 oz. of heavy cream I add about 6 drops.

It's really a matter of taste.

2317/5000

I'm with Tan and Setho. But want to give one more word of caution. When going by taste with peppermint..........the fumes from the oil can fool your taste buds (cause they stay so strong floating in the air). Close the bottle your using and walk away from your area, then taste your item.