• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris: Europe Part Un: Lodging and Eating

Daniel

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if this thread has been continued somewhere else? Am curious about Therese's and Daniel's trips to Paris.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I'd like to hear about them, too.

We just rented an apartment in the 7th, near Rue Cler, for an October trip fromParis Perfect. They've been wonderful to deal with so far, and the apartment (Montrachet) looks very nice (it has a good sized kitchen, and a view of the Eiffel Tower from the bed!). I'm excited to be able to shop the markets and cook-we stayed in the same neighborhood last trip, and it killed me to see all that great produce, the butcher shops, the roast chicken place, etc etc. I remember loading up on wonderful foods at Lenotre, then spreading them all out on the bed (it wasn't picnic weather) because they wouldn't fit anywhere else in our tiny hotel room.

Just wondering if this thread has been continued somewhere else? Am curious about Therese's and Daniel's trips to Paris.

Details of our trip in this thread. Not many pictures, as I took very few photos of food, but we did have some very nice meals.

Apartment was great.

Can you pee in the ocean?

We just rented an apartment in the 7th, near Rue Cler, for an October trip fromParis Perfect. They've been wonderful to deal with so far, and the apartment (Montrachet) looks very nice (it has a good sized kitchen, and a view of the Eiffel Tower from the bed!).

I've used the same company to rent a flat in London (the flat below the company owners' house in London, actually) and did like it. I will say that I found them a bit pricey for Paris. The place we did rent (described in the thread to which I link in my previous post here) was larger and cheaper and in a lovely location.

But the view of the Eiffel Tower is pretty darn cool, and the apartment will be exactly as described.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I am sorry.. I have been crazy with work and everything..I will be posting in a few weeks..

But just something about my apartment in Paris.. It was perfect.. Exactly like the photos and such a treat.. We were a 3 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and it was a dream...

Sorry again for the delay, everyone's advice made our trip..

Daniel

Edited by Daniel (log)

Therese-thanks for your link and sharing your confidence in Paris Perfect. I agree it is pricey but we have occasion to splurge, and that view...

Kiliki,

I stayed with ParisPerfect 2 months a year for 3 years and can recommend them wholeheartedly. The service is 1st class, the neighborhood is charming and there are as many Bibb Gourmand restaurants in the 7th as the 4th, 5th and 6th combined. I am the person that wrote most of the restaurant recommendations ParisPerfect distributes in their info package. They have gotten a little pricier than I can justify for my increasingly longer visits, but for a short term splurge they are still on the top of my list.

I loved that packet! I really enjoyed the honest reviews you wrote and I can't wait to try some of these places. We stayed in the 7th a couple of years ago and I am still dreaming of all of the food shops on Rue Cler.

I loved that packet! I really enjoyed the honest reviews you wrote and I can't wait to try some of these places. We stayed in the 7th a couple of years ago and I am still dreaming of all of the food shops on Rue Cler.

Rue Cler is interesting but other than the wonderful Davoli, Maison du Jambon, we buy most of our foods at the Saxe Market on Thurs. & Sat. mornings; ParisPerfect provides convenient wheeled shopping carts. For specialties: chocolate from Michel Chaudun, corner of Malar&Université;pastries from either Jean Millet on St. Dominique or Thierry Dubois,on Av. Bosquet, who is our favorite baker now that Poujauran has gone private. Cheeses from Marie-Anne Cantin, just off r cler on r Champ de Mars; and sausages and terrines from Charles close to you on St. Dominique. We think the butcher just under your apt, "Les Viandes du Champ de Mars" is excellent as is the expensive greengrocer on the corner of Exposition and Grenelle. Lenotre closed their r Cler store, but still have the one on Motte-Picquett, and there is a good epicerie fine run by Pascal Mieve on r Champ de Mars between Marie-Anne Cantin and r Cler. You will have a great time.

Edited by Laidback (log)

Thanks for the tips, espeically about the patisseries! I loved the cheese store and La Maison du Jambon. I'm sorry to hear that Lenotre closed but relieved to know there is another close by.