• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Former Prejean's chef dies

FistFullaRoux

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NEWS01/60213006

James Allen Graham

Graham grew up in Montana, learned to cook in the Navy, had a restaurant in Branson, Mo. He fell in love with Cajun food and spent 13 years in Louisiana. He was executive chef at Prejean’s Restaurant in Carencro for a number of years and owner of Fish & Game Grille in Lafayette.

He was one of the chefs who pushed the envelope in Lafayette. His influence will be felt for years to come.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Awww, I'm very sorry to hear this.

I met him when our sons played hockey together a number of years ago, and although I didn't get to know him very well, he seemed very nice. I certainly knew (and enjoyed) his work at Prejean's.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

You can learn more about him through this interview with Chef James Allen Graham.

what's your favorite dish?

Chefgraham: My favorite dish is Elk Madison Crossing which is a mesquite roasted elk tenderloin stuffed into a bordeaux marinated boneless squab. Then its baked, sliced and set in a black butter morel sauce. That dish comes from the Fish & Game grill off the fixed price menu. Our most popular elk dish at Prejeans is a rack of elk sliced, bronzed and topped with an andouille and mushroom cream

where's your favorite place to eat?

Chefgraham: Gotham City Grill, NYC

what's your specialty?

Chefgraham: Salads. We do a pinot noir poached pear topped with a maytag blue cheese moose with a 50 year old balsamic vinegar and huckleberry champagne. It's house made - the champagne.... and a Brie and gorgonzola stuffed quail wrapped with applewood smoked bacon fire roasted set over baby greens

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks for the link, Melissa. The interview isn't dated, but he mentions his son being in kindergarten, and our sons must be of similar ages since they were on the same hockey team. My son is now 18.

Thanks for the link, Melissa. The interview isn't dated, but he mentions his son being in kindergarten, and our sons must be of similar ages since they were on the same hockey team. My son is now 18.

Ah, quite so, but his comments and wisdom live on in the food he speaks of lovingly ...

Squirrel is excellent done in a brown gravy...Also fabulous in a jambalaya!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Ah, quite so, but his comments and wisdom live on in the food he speaks of lovingly ...
Squirrel is excellent done in a brown gravy...Also fabulous in a jambalaya!

Yes, and I appreciated your linking the interview. It was a worthwhile read.

This article also has a photo of him.

His interest in wild game continues to live on at Prejean's, and his influence is still felt at a restaurant called Lafayette's. It got off to a shaky start, but Graham turned it around by moving back to Lafayette and taking it over. I wish he'd have stuck around a while longer. :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

I live in N.J. and first met the owner of Prejean's, Biker Bob Guilbeau, at Jazz Fest 10 years ago. He invited me to hang out in their kitchen to learn about the regional cuisine. James could not have nicer or more gracious. I began my passion for the food and the area in that week and will forever be grateful to him for that experience. I am now constantly traveling to Cajun country for numerous musical and culinary events as well as parties. He cooked for 2 James Beard House events and was kind enough to let me help (or hinder) him there as well. I was just shocked to hear about his death and will forever be thankful to him and Biker Bob for opening that world to me. Amy