• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggs, Beaten, w/ Stuff Inside -Cook-Off 19

Chris Amirault

Brussel sprouts souffle (thanks jackal10 for the inspiration!)

soufle.jpg

soufleclose.jpg

it did have bechamel, because I wanted it to be a little more substantial. I have made the bechamel-less souffle's in the past and love them, but when the dish is the main thing for dinner, I like it more creamy and and rich. The sprouts flavor was delicious!!

You can see in the right corner of the closeup, that it was still nice and runny in the middle. 5 minutes after taking the picture, all the runniness was gone and it had firmed up, it's so important not to overbake these things!

Edited by Chufi (log)

How did you prepare the sprouts before adding them to the souffle? Sauteed? Blanched? Roasted?

just boiled them until very soft.. mashed with a fork, but left some texture.

I had 4 eggs, about 300 grams of sprout mash, and bechamel made with 40 grams butter, 40 grams flour, and 150 ml. liquid (mix of milk and sprouts cooking water)

Seasoned liberally with nutmeg, salt and pepper, and added lots of parmesan.

eggs......beaten.....with cheese and bechemel in them....

I used Julia's recipe which I hadn't tried before. It was incredibly light!!

IMG_0816.jpg

I placed it on the bottom rack of my oven, even though the recipe said to use the middle. Not sure if this did anything or not.

IMG_0818.jpg

a few questions, I noticed some of you drew a circle in the top, this didn't call for that- what does the 'moat' do? This puffed nicely but it was very uneven. The goal is to get one big plateau??

a few questions, I noticed some of you drew a circle in the top, this didn't call for that- what does the 'moat' do? This puffed nicely but it was very uneven. The goal is to get one big plateau??

Wendy, I didn't draw a moat around mine. Just made sure that the tops were flat, and that they didn't touch the top of the sides of the dishes.

I really loved doing them in the little dishes. Very nice ratio of crust to creamy.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Way back in the dusty recesses of my aging mind, I seem to remember reading somewhere that one could draw a "moat" to help the souffle rise evenly with a sort of top hat. As I had a too-small souffle dish, mine went in all directions. Or, perhaps it would have done that anyway. Most of my experiments of this kind are decidedly unscientific.

Edited by Lori in PA (log)

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

That's what my cookbook says - you draw in the line (about 1" deep) to get the "top hat" effect.

Frankly, it all tastes the same to me :biggrin:.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Well I'll be. I didn't moat, but sure had some nice top hats...Is it the moat or making sure that the batter isn't touching the top of the sides of the souffle dish?

I also made eggs with stuff in them last night. Just barely sauteed onions, eggs poured in and cooked quickly, then everything topped with roasted, ground cumin, chiles, and cilantro. It's more commonly breakfast in India, but we have it for dinner pretty often.

gallery_28661_3_5229.jpg

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

After reading this thread, I wanted to try Jack's version of the souffle recipe.

So I combined 4 egg yolks with spinach, artichokes, carrots and spring onion. Seasoned heavily.

gallery_21049_162_39415.jpg

Next, I beat the egg whites

gallery_21049_162_17858.jpg

Folded the egg whites and yolk mixture, poured into buttered ramekins and topped with melted butter.

Placed on a pizza stone and baked in a 400F convection oven (had to turn off fan part of the way through as it was browning the top too quick)

gallery_21049_162_75913.jpg

The end result...

gallery_21049_162_78540.jpg

Overall it was good, but I might have been a tad bit heavy handed with seasoning the egg yolks.

hey whaddya know percy, i made a spinach souffle tonight too.

spinachsouffle6hr.jpg

my only disappointment was that i probably could have folded in more of the egg whites, which is why it only rose that far. but it seemed like the right amount at the time. rather than blanching the spinach, i cooked it in butter with a chopped shallot till the liquid was pretty much gone before straining, so that added a dimension that i haven't had in a spinach souffle before. that was good stuff.

p.s. you know, i really gotta get that bowl full of half-eaten, half-wrapped chocolate bars out of the background of all my pics.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, finally. The exploding chocolate souffle.

It doesn't necessarily look pretty but this was to die for. Light, airy, chocolately. I think I'll reprise this for Easter dinner on Sunday since the lad missed out on this one!

gallery_6080_942_35679.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Ok, finally.  The exploding chocolate souffle.

It doesn't necessarily look pretty but this was to die for. Light, airy, chocolately.  I think I'll reprise this for Easter dinner on Sunday since the lad missed out on this one!

gallery_6080_942_35679.jpg

Do you deliver? This looks divine.

May I present my yummy feta and spinach mini omelettes, handily baked in the oven in muffin tins:)

SPINATIOMLETID.jpg

I almost forgot, but I made these about a week ago! Mine were spinach, mushrooms and gouda. Thanks for this great tip Pille!

frittatamini.jpg

May I present my yummy feta and spinach mini omelettes, handily baked in the oven in muffin tins:)

I almost forgot, but I made these about a week ago! Mine were spinach, mushrooms and gouda. Thanks for this great tip Pille!

frittatamini.jpg

You're welcome, Chufi! Adding mushrooms sounds like a great idea - I'll keep that in mind for the next time :smile:

• 1 month later...

Made a spinach quiche a while ago -- I dunno if it's appropriate to post that, but anyhow, here it is:

gallery_28832_1138_7273.jpg

I've got a wildly optimistic ambition of eventually cooking at least one item for all the egullet Cook-Offs, so I did intend to do one for this thread -- I just forgot about it by the time I got around to making this Frittata. But I reckon that still counts. Even if it completely fell apart and ended up more like scrambled eggs than anything else... :hmmm:

144946950_76a047c3e5.jpg

Those souffles look amazing though... Very inspirational...

I tried a version of the Prawn, Parsley and Lemon Frittata from Jamie Oliver's Italy book the other day - it sounds wrong - it involves adding the zest AND Juice of a lemon to the eggs but it somehow works pretty well

I love animals.

They are delicious.