• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggs, Beaten, w/ Stuff Inside -Cook-Off 19

Chris Amirault

One overripe banana and a desire to pop my eGullet image uploading cherry equals...

gallery_16895_2915_875978.jpg

Banana souffle.

Threw together a base of the pureed banana, rum, grated coconut, cinnamon and a little nutmeg syrup. Wanted the fruit to shine through and as light a texture as possible, so heated the base with a little cornflour to hold it together, rather than using raw yolk, bechemel or gelatin. Folded in one whisked egg white per ramekin and whacked 'em in the oven at 220c. 10 minutes to cook. 1 minute to eat. 30 minutes for mouth to stop burning.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

• 2 years later...

I love to revisit old Cook-off threads. And I can never make anything that resembles an omelet, quiche, souffle or frittata, without thinking of the phrase Eggs, Beaten, with Stuff In Them :biggrin: I think it should be a cookbook!

anyway, I made a pretty good potato tortilla today. The key: cooking the onions and potatoes sloooooowly for a loooooong time.

gallery_21505_2929_54054.jpg

Damn, that is gorgeous. I somehow never have the patience to cook my potatoes too long when making Spanish Tortillas. How long did you cook them for? In how big a pan with how much oil?

3 medium potatoes, 1 onion, 1 clove of garlic in a regular size frying pan, with about 3 tablespoons of oil, took about 45 minutes cooking very slow. I fried the tortilla in a much smaller frying pan (18 cm) or it would have been too thin.

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting this thread in order to find a spot for the quiches I baked this evening.

Steamed white onion and broccoli, cheddar cheese and sauteed mushrooms. Lard pastry.

These will make their way into the freezer for lunches for the rug rat and dinners for my dad.

DSCN2025.jpg

• 8 years later...

Despite a fair amount of time trying to get straight in my head the differences between a strata, a frittata and a panade, I'm still fuzzy on the question. Maybe someone here can give me a straight answer? The panade generally uses broth for cooking liquid instead of eggs and milk. The frittata and strata both use eggs and cream. The strata and the panade both use stale bread. After that, all bets are off as far as inclusions. Have I got that right? Let's get some definitive answers, please, if there is such a thing.

Meanwhile, I want to celebrate my latest strata, if that's what it is. Concoction. Whatever.

I had stale white bread, hoarded for the purpose. Something needed to be done with a head of broccoli, so I cut it into bite-sized chunks and microwaved them enough to soften. A large clove of garlic, diced, went into the layers. I don't remember whether I also sweated onion to go into it, but a spicy pepperjack sausage, cut into small chunks, rounded out the mix.

My biggest dither was the question of how much egg and how much dairy should go with it. I settled on a ratio of 2:1 eggs:cream. (I'd have used milk, but didn't have any.) The shredded cheese may have been about the same volume as the cream. Some of the cheese was mixed into the bread/solids mix, then the egg/dairy combination was poured over it, enough to almost submerge the chunks. The last of the cheese went on top. Into the oven it went, 375F until bubbling and browned on the surface, with the interior set.

20211119_071008.jpg

Success! We're both pleased - which is good, because there's a lot left over.

But I still want to know: did I get the proportions about right? And would this be called a strata?

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Without looking definitions up - my understanding when I hear or read the words is = panade - a milk/bread binder; strata a savory baked "French toast"  sort of custardy; a frittata eggs and stuff (wide variety- even  pasta or potato) top fished under broiler Simple home cooking

I never use cream or milk in my (many) frittatas (nor in omelets, for that matter). Bits and pieces of fresh cooked or leftover veg, bacon, pancetta, guanciale are all fair game. As are certain cheeses.

Your's looks quite the strata!

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?