• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Dark Side of Rum

alacarte

If you'll be in the NYC vicinity on Feb 23, I hope you'll consider attending this event. YES there will be a rum tasting, as well as other Caribbean-themed edibles.

February 23, 2006

The Dark Side of Rum

Speaker: Jared Brown and Anistatia Miller

Location: New York University, Steinhardt School of Education, 35 West 4th St., Room 1080

Time: Reception and Sign-In 6:30, Lecture 7:00

Members $25 | Senior and Student Members $22 | Guests $35

For more information and registration form, click here.

Disclosure: I'm a member of CHNY, which is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to food history. This is the only event we've ever had dedicated to rum...

• 2 weeks later...

A quick report on yesterday's event -- it was a good one (not to mention sold-out!)

Jared Brown & Anastatia Miller's whimsical presentation about The Dark Side of Rum focused on the history of rum, and how the slave trade factored into funding rum-making for centuries.

After that, our own Ed Hamilton stepped up to the mike and walked participants through the rum tasting. He was knowledgeable and entertaining, and was a great addition to the program.

Here's the list of rums we sampled:

--Bacardi, Puerto Rico

--Bacardi Select, Puerto Rico (this was the one I liked best)

--La Favorite Rhum Agricole Ambre, Martinque

--Neissan, Martinique (This one was way too strong for me...)

--Gosling's Black Seal, Bermuda

--Appleton Estate Rum, Jamaica

--Mount Gay Sugarcane, Barbados

We also had "theme" refreshments, including jerk chicken, plaintain chips, spicy pickled okra, codfish balls, rum punch, chocolate rum balls, and Caribbean rum cake (that last one baked by yours truly).

I think I learned more about growing sugarcane and charcoal filtration than I ever expected to know... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...