• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for tasso

Bill Miller

I've been to Specs and Central Market looking for tasso--we will make a stuffed mushroom with tasso as an ingredient, but neither had tasso. Do you guys know where I can order some? I can't believe there is none in Houston.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

The last time I was in Hebert's Speciality Meats store here in Tulsa, they had Poche's tasso, andouille and smoked sausage. I know because I still have tasso and smoked in the freezer. The andouille is long gone. I have to go back because I am making gumbo for tomorrow, duck and andouille.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

In Dallas it was by the cheese and olives.

How hard would it be to make? It would require hours of smoking, but that sounds like something a Texan would enjoy.

Got a recipe?

(I enjoyed reading your blog--good luck my friend)

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

In Dallas it was by the cheese and olives.

How hard would it be to make? It would require hours of smoking, but that sounds like something a Texan would enjoy.

Got a recipe?

(I enjoyed reading your blog--good luck my friend)

I haven't tried this, but I was pointed to this recipe:

Tasso Recipe

There's less smoking involved than with a good Texas brisket. :laugh:

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Or make your own, if you have a smoker it's really easy.

here is my recipe with pic:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/03/homemade-tasso-recipe/

I've been to Specs and Central Market looking for tasso--we will make a stuffed mushroom with tasso as an ingredient, but neither had tasso.  Do you guys know where I can order some?  I can't believe there is none in Houston.

I've been to Specs and Central Market looking for tasso--we will make a stuffed mushroom with tasso as an ingredient, but neither had tasso.  Do you guys know where I can order some?  I can't believe there is none in Houston.

Dear Danno,

Let me be the first to welcome you to eGullet. Glad to have you.

Check my link, and you'll see it's actually your recipe. I posted the question on Mr. Lake's forum, who sent me to your site. Small world.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Thanks for the welcome Todd,

Holy Moses, I didn't even notice that you had linked it, thanks. Glad you found it useful. Small world indeed.

I can't find great Louisiana sausages or seasoning meats here in Detroit either, so I make my own. I can find about 5 different brands of Andouille, none good, so I started making my own:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/ando...sausage-recipe/

It took some practice over quite a few years, but I have it down now. My site is all about creating Louisiana dishes and staples from afar. Great fun for me, and good eating!

Dear Danno,

Let me be the first to welcome you to eGullet. Glad to have you.

Check my link, and you'll see it's actually your recipe. I posted the question on Mr. Lake's forum, who sent me to your site. Small world.

I'd like to welcome Danno as well. His blog happens to be a pretty frequent stop for me!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 years later...

How's this for dredging up an old thread?

Spec's carries tasso but their inventory system is not too swift it seems. May need to ask but they apparently sometimes run out. I'm sure CM has it too.

I've purchased it before at the Kroger Signature store on Westpark at Buffalo Speedway; several of the K-Sig stores started stocking more Louisiana products after the Katrina influx but this was before that.

Then there's Hebert's, with several locations and Veron's up in the Atascocita area.

You might also try Burt's Cajun Meat Market on Lyons between Lockwood and Kress, just north of I-10 on the east side; they don't have a website that I know of and I've never specifically looked for it there but I'd be surprised if they don't have it.

BTW, what is this doing on the Louisiana board?

Edited by brucesw (log)

I am crazy about the stuff from Jacob's in LaPlace, LA. While you are at it, order up some of their andouille. It's pretty tasty, as well.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...