• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Pans: The Topic

Marlene

Hmmm... so does the Sur La Table model (click). It's clearly a design feature. Anyone know why?

That doesn't look like a raised bulge, but it could be my eyes.  It looks like the smaller square is set in, which would alleviate the problem with juices running out to the ends.

I am glad this came up. The SLT does indeed have a raised area in the center.

It has not been a problem so far, but I have not used it a lot, so that may be premature.

How about the rest of you our there with this roasting pan design characteristic --- do your pans burn the middle? If so have you found a way to deal with it?

Just for the heck of it, I re checked my All clad roasters and sure enough, it's slightly raised although barely noticeable, at least to me. I've never had a problem with font burning. Chris, what kind of pan do you have now?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Not worth comparing in any detail, I think, Marlene. I have an absurdly cheap, enameled pan that probably started life as a car muffler.

Think it might be the effect of a dark (I am guessing), thin steel, enamelled pan at high temps?

Gee, no votes for my old Lodge cast iron - especially for meats?

Sidecar Ron

I have an enameled cast iron Descoware gratin dish that I use for roasted veggies, especially potatoes and cauliflower. I also 'cast' my vote for cast iron, enameled or not. It makes an incomparable crust on potatoes and the like.

what does everyone think of this one?  it's caphalon contemporary stainless.  i mention it because i have an amazon gift certificate.  it's $99, and with the gift certificate it would be $74.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009W7ED...1010630-9227128

If you look farther down the page they say that it's "tri-ply construction", so I think it's the one that Cook's Illustrated chose to replace the All-Clad as their top recommendation.

Yes, for vegetables alone I use half and quarter sheet pans, as well as an LC enamelled cast iron baker. So for about $5 you can do what you want to do. I don't see any real need for a deep roasting pan if vegetables is what you will be roasting...except for the deglazing. And if you're careful that may not be a big problem either.

Not worth comparing in any detail, I think, Marlene. I have an absurdly cheap, enameled pan that probably started life as a car muffler.

Think it might be the effect of a dark (I am guessing), thin steel, enamelled pan at high temps?

It's a good guess, except that I don't think that's the problem. Everything is fine in the little moat that forms because of the area that is raised in the center. If that makes any sense.

edited because, in fact, the initial post did not make any sense -- ca

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

First you have to decide on the size you want, which will be most useful and will fit your oven easily.

I have several from the usual size, up to a huge one for very big batches.

Target has the Calphalon for $40.00 it is the hard anodized stuff. I have several pieces and use it on the stovetop for making gravy after roasting chickens or ???? so it is versatile.

Calphalon 12 x 16

You can order the larger DuPont 14 x 18 inches from Instawares $65.45

Dupont

Target also has the Oneida "commercial" for about 60.00 online only.

Costco also had a nice heavy hard anodized roaster, similar to Calphalon at a very reasonable price when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

If I am not going to need to put it on top of the stove, I have a large enamel roaster which is deeper than the others. one very similar is also available at Target black enamel roaster with cover

It may be my imagination but the vegetables always seem to turn out better in this one, inexpensive as it is.

This one just barely fits in my Cadco convection oven gallery_17399_60_177177.jpg

gallery_17399_60_156394.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For roasting vegetables, I'd think one would be better off using a bunch of heavy duty sheet pans like this. That way you can spread out the vegetables in a single layer, and can roast a lot of vegetables in single layers by using several sheet pans simultaneously on different racks.

--

For roasting vegetables, I'd think one would be better off using a bunch of heavy duty sheet pans like this.  That way you can spread out the vegetables in a single layer, and can roast a lot of vegetables in single layers by using several sheet pans simultaneously on different racks.

I strongly concur with Sam and others who recommended a half sheet pan. I use a couple of heavy-duty but relatively inexpensive ones from Chicago Metallic. A traditional roasting pan is good for poultry, etc., but is too deep for vegetables. Switching to sheet pans made a world of difference for my roasted cauliflower. For a small amount of roasted potatoes or asparagus I'll sometimes use a Pyrex baking dish, but overall I still prefer sheet pans.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It's a good guess, except that I don't think that's the problem. Everything is fine in the little moat that forms because of the area that is raised in the center. If that makes any sense.

edited because, in fact, the initial post did not make any sense -- ca

I think the trick in some situations is to keep an eye on it and add a small amount of stock or water if the meat is not producing enough liquid, or if the liquid boils off.

For roasting vegetables, I'd think one would be better off using a bunch of heavy duty sheet pans like this.  That way you can spread out the vegetables in a single layer, and can roast a lot of vegetables in single layers by using several sheet pans simultaneously on different racks.

I strongly concur with Sam and others who recommended a half sheet pan. I use a couple of heavy-duty but relatively inexpensive ones from Chicago Metallic. A traditional roasting pan is good for poultry, etc., but is too deep for vegetables. Switching to sheet pans made a world of difference for my roasted cauliflower. For a small amount of roasted potatoes or asparagus I'll sometimes use a Pyrex baking dish, but overall I still prefer sheet pans.

Use a half sheet pan, then. :biggrin:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Agree whole-heartedly that half sheet pans are the way to go for roasting vegetables.

But while we're on the topic (which I'm glad came up), if one were to invest in a serious roasting pan (i.e., large roast/turkey sized), what would be the way to go? I'm damned if I'll spend $200 for the All Clad stainless if there are questions about its quality. Don't want nonstick, as I deglaze on the stovetop. The Calphalon classic hard anodized with a v-rack (about $60 at Amazon.com) looks like a possibility, but I've never cooked with hard anodized aluminum before (have read slkinsey's cookware thread, but without personal experience, I don't know just how difficult it is to clean, & whether that would negate the cost savings).

Is it worth investing a large sum of money in a roasting pan if it's only used a couple of times a year? Advice would be appreciated.

But while we're on the topic (which I'm glad came up), if one were to invest in a serious roasting pan (i.e., large roast/turkey sized), what would be the way to go?  I'm damned if I'll spend $200 for the All Clad stainless if there are questions about its quality.  Don't want nonstick, as I deglaze on the stovetop.  The Calphalon classic hard anodized with a v-rack (about $60 at Amazon.com) looks like a possibility, but I've never cooked with hard anodized aluminum before (have read slkinsey's cookware thread, but without personal experience, I don't know just how difficult it is to clean, & whether that would negate the cost savings).

Is it worth investing a large sum of money in a roasting pan if it's only used a couple of times a year?  Advice would be appreciated.

Part of the discussion we're having. You'll see some alternatives to the A-C upthread.

Here's what I did last Thanksgiving 2005, in preparation for roasting my first turkey:

... By the time Wednesday night rolled around, I decided to go back to Costco and see what roasters they had left. There were two roasters left. It wasn't the plain old Granite Ware roaster that the LA Times Food Section mentioned. As it said on the box, it was a heavy gauge hard anodized aluminum roasting pan ... 13 x 16 x 3.75 in. ... easily accommodates a 25 lb. turkey. And the price was great: $29.99!

I'll be roasting a boneless pork loin tonight with some potatoes. I can post some pictures (of the roasting pan, of course) later tonight.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Russell, could you please let me know how easy or difficult it is to clean your heavy duty anodized aluminum roaster? It seems like it's a good buy in terms of size, durability and conductivity, but I've heard they're tough to clean. I'd rather use elbow grease than spend big bucks on tri-ply for a pan I don't use frequently, though.

Thanks!

Agree whole-heartedly that half sheet pans are the way to go for roasting vegetables.

But while we're on the topic (which I'm glad came up), if one were to invest in a serious roasting pan (i.e., large roast/turkey sized), what would be the way to go?  I'm damned if I'll spend $200 for the All Clad stainless if there are questions about its quality.  Don't want nonstick, as I deglaze on the stovetop.  The Calphalon classic hard anodized with a v-rack (about $60 at Amazon.com) looks like a possibility, but I've never cooked with hard anodized aluminum before (have read slkinsey's cookware thread, but without personal experience, I don't know just how difficult it is to clean, & whether that would negate the cost savings).

Is it worth investing a large sum of money in a roasting pan if it's only used a couple of times a year?  Advice would be appreciated.

I have never had a problem cleaning it. If something sticks, I just put in on a burner with enough water to cover and let it simmer for a while, scrape with a wooden paddle and it usually comes right off.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here's a couple of photos of my Kirkland Signature roasting pan & rack from Costco:

gallery_24802_2570_1025.jpg

The boneless pork loin was rather lean, as you can see.

gallery_24802_2570_58685.jpg

After a couple of wet paper towels, wiping up the drippings was very easy. Afterwards, I washed & rinsed the pan & the rack by hand. It took me less than 10 minutes to wash, rinse, dry, and put away in storage. And since I paid about $30.00, it's a real bargain to me.

I might do a rib roast and report back to you. I said "might."

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...