• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gay Paree sans KFC...

Gareth

A young colleague is in Paris with his girlfriend this weekend. After much arm-twisting and the application of alcohol I have persuaded him that the Folies aren’t really their style and they would be better spending the E150 on dinner.

This might be considered an ‘upgrade’ since, from what I can gather, previous visits to Paris have mainly involved dining at KFC and Mickey D’s.

Yes, really. No exaggeration.

So here you have a unique opportunity. Can you rescue an innocent young couple from the Dark Side of food philistinism ? Can you recommend that venue that will persuade them for once and all time that there is more romantic dining than mechanically recovered poultry ? A place that will soothe and cosset them through what will be a daunting and intimidating step into the unknown. That will provide the sort of evening that young lovers’ memories are made of.

150 Euros for two for dinner, all in.

Help us E-gullet, you’re our only hope...

A young colleague is in Paris with his girlfriend this weekend. After much arm-twisting and the application of alcohol I have persuaded him that the Folies aren’t really their style and they would be better spending the E150 on dinner.

This might be considered an ‘upgrade’ since, from what I can gather, previous visits to Paris have mainly involved dining at KFC and Mickey D’s.

Yes, really. No exaggeration.

So here you have a unique opportunity. Can you rescue an innocent young couple from the Dark Side of food philistinism ? Can you recommend that venue that will persuade them for once and all time that there is more romantic dining than mechanically recovered poultry ? A place that will soothe and cosset them through what will be a daunting and intimidating step into the unknown. That will provide the sort of evening that young lovers’ memories are made of.

150 Euros for two for dinner, all in.

Help us E-gullet, you’re our only hope...

I would imagine if you are not used to eating out, that Paris could be a pretty intimidating place. If they normally get by on MacDo and KFC, you probably will want something that’s fairly traditional and tourist friendly.

What about a brasserie like Bofinger? The food isn’t half-bad and the atmosphere is pretty stunning, especially if you haven’t been to Paris too many times. I remember someone taking me there before I moved to Paris and I was definitely impressed.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

He's content to eat at McDo and he's bringing his own girlfriend. Why is he coming to Paris? It seems a waste of car fare. I trust your good deed will not go unrewarded. Felice is probably on track. Felice likes Bofinger. I have a soft spot for Vaudeville and its art deco marble. I'd choose oysters and then an andouillette, but he might be better served the first time with steak frites, which is a reliable fall back position if any menu is daunting.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

He's content to eat at McDo and he's bringing his own girlfriend. Why is he coming to Paris? It seems a waste of car fare. I trust your good deed will not go unrewarded. Felice is probably on track. Felice likes Bofinger. I have a soft spot for Vaudeville and its art deco marble. I'd choose oysters and then an andouillette, but he might be better served the first time with steak frites, which is a reliable fall back position if any menu is daunting.

Everyone has a moment when their senses awaken and that light comes on! I am sure alot of us were where he's at, at one time. What a better city than Paris for this to happen?

Steak and Frites in a quintessential brasserie? With some good wine? (Or beer for that matter.) What a wonderful experience. Jules Verne would be a little out of budget I think, but still a wonderful suggestion.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Some friends of mine, Kerry and Bob, treated themselves to the honeymoon in Paris they hadn't been able to afford, either in time or money, when they got married.

Kerry teaches Literature at the local college, and she was thrilled with the romantic aspects of the trip, including, of course, the food and wine. The Truth be told, Bob, a schedule clerk in the mines, would have been just as happy to use his vacation time doing home repairs and fishing.

One afternoon, about half way through their vacation, they were having lunch at a charming sidewalk cafe. As Kerry tells the story, she didn't recall what she ordered, but Bob, being not so enamored of French cusine, half-jokingly mentioned to the waiter that he would really enjoy a plain old hot dog.

The waiter nodded and vanished. When he returned with their meal he presented Bob with "the most beautifully grilled sausage on a small baguette, with melted Gruyere-like cheese, carmalized onions and brown mustard." Bob condescended to give Kerry a bite, and she had to admit it may have been the best thing she tasted on the whole trip!

SB (Bob jokes, "but no ketchup?")

Oh my, what a challenge. Romantic, change their lives, dynamite food; affordable, hummm.

I like the brasserie idea like Felice and Bux, even the Jules Verne or Le Ciel de Paris as I love noting, the only building from which you cannot see the Tour Montparnasse but have a great view of the Tour Eiffel. There are supposed to be upscale Bateaux Mouches but I'm an innocent when it comes to them. Is the Pre Catalan to pricey? yah. OK I'll go for Le Ciel de Paris, 56th floor Tour Montparnasse 01.40.64.77.64. And for a lunch that'll really show them how fancy food can get and still be affordable - Le Bistral, 80 rue Lemercier in the 17th, 01.42.63.59.61.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris